myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hotel invasion robbery in CUMBUCO, BRA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boosty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Hotel invasion robbery in CUMBUCO, BRA Reply with quote

One night in Cumbuco

I sure could have used a Shotgun Willy or two That first night in Brazil. As I sat in room #1 at www.cumbucoguesthouse.com , writing emails about how sleepy it is here. Suddenly, the care taker "Jonny" came running through my room and into the bathroom screaming. He was being chased by two armed men wearing masks who came in behind him. One, with a BIG pistol followed Jonny and tried to get through the bathroom door where Jonny was whaling for god to save him. I was left to confront the guy with the knife who was standing between me and the door and ordering me to lay down in Portuguese. I said no endendo several times and as he stabbed at me with the knife. Then I started to comply and I saw he wanted to tie me up face down on the floor which terrified me so I sprung up and grabbed a wooden chair and Smashed him with it to get him away from the door and then I bolted for the wall hoping desperately that I could work the tricky latch quickly enough to get out before being shot or stabbed. Just as I got the latch open and leaped through the door the knife hit me on the back and luckily left only a small cut. I sprinted down the cobblestone street barefoot at full speed four 400 meters hoping no-one was following or shooting at me and worried about the 10 others at the posada. I ran until I saw some kids on the street and screamed onde a policia! They ran with me to the police who responded 20 min later with a large force. As it turned out the Bandits had fled after they realized that I had gotten away, taking only what they could quickly grab and run with. Nobody saw them leave because they were all hiding terrified or tied up already. Including the German owner and his wife and many other young foreigners. I was all the while up the street freaking out and watching the drama unfold with the rest of the village who had turned out to watch. I seems that no shots were fired but I remember hearing a story about a guy from Hood River who was killed last year in a similar invasion style robbery. Scary shit and hard to know what to do in this rapidly unfolding scenario. After the police responded and stole a few items themselves from rooms where the thieves never went, We blazed all the lights and stayed up all night on watch and packing my car up with with all my stuff to leave at dawn.Remarkably, they took nothing of mine. The next morning the others thanked me for saving them by fighting back and they imagined that things might have been MUCH MUCH worse if the bandits had succeeded in the plan to subdue everyone and methodically raid the place room by room. I was actually thinking that my fighting back was a cowardly act of self preservation by a person who was so scared for his life that he didn't know what to do but run like hell. I guess it pays to come from a warrior culture of action heroes sometimes. But honestly, now I am freaked out and having constant flash backs of the whole crazy scene and analyzing what happened moment by moment realizing how lucky each thing was that led to my escape and that I could have just as easily been killed in trying. And that always leaves me shuddering in terror and full of adrenaline. Hopefully this traumatic effect will wear off soon with enough glassy bottom turns to Cracks off foamy lip. I can only hope that I will never again have to experience that sort of terror at the end of a gun held by a crazed lunatic who will kill without a thought or remorse. This was how it went one night in Cumbuco. Always stay with Shotgun Willy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: