myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
N. Padre Island in Early March

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
human_catapult

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: N. Padre Island in Early March Reply with quote

I'm trying to choose between this and the Florida keys. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like in the Corpus Christi area this time of year? I've read that spring is best, but is March too early? Will I need to bring all my neoprene? My goal will be to get a lot of work in on my planing jibe and my beginner girlfriend will be there too hopefully putzing around (shallow water a big plus).
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can listen to rumors, or forecasts, or personal experiences, or you can compare iW's archives of years of wind at Corpus Christi/NPI vs the Keys. The primary Corpus (NPI) site for your stated quest is Bird Island Basin (BIB); Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf sites are far less amenable. Whether you want March or May depends on your tolerance of heat and whether you'll have an air conditioned condo for escape at night; you'll get steadier and more frequent wind in May, but will pay a huge price in heat. March can actually have a few nights tolerable for camping (i.e., below 80 degrees and 80% by bedtime); May will have almost none. If you're lucky enough to catch a lot of planable days, you'll love BIB and learn a lot.

I can't help you with the Keys; last time I was there we camped anywhere we liked, spear-fished anywhere we wanted outside Kennecamp, and windsurfing wasn't invented yet.

\m/
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I lived down therre for 15 years, and I just don't understand why anyone would consider going to the Corpus area for a vacation instead of South Padre Island. Corpus Christi Bay does get better thermals in the summer and some good bump and jump conditions, but beyond that, going to SPI feels much more like a tropical vacation and getting away from it all.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think BIB is a good choice, with a good shop right there for rentals and instruction. Isobars is absolutely right on about the weather. Sometime around Aprilish the heat kicks in and Californians like me tend to melt. I had a good March there, but weather can be very changeable. Yes, take all your neoprene, as the water temp can vary day to day.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to concur w/ tso,
Corpus ain't the prettiest place in the world. SPI, on the other hand is fricken beautiful. The shallow laguna madre is great for bigginers (waist deap water for hundreds of yards out. Be sure to bring a weed fin though. Windsurf inc is right on the water for any equipment rental needs. Also offers windsurf lessons i believe . beware - march is spring break on the gulf coast-so spi may be packed where as BIB probably won't be..
also, wave sailing on the gulf can be good that time of year, especially on a good south wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: