myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
S.Ca - Anyone sailing C-Street/Leo area?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next ten days with NO WIND>

Only a meager 1024 high is sitting ofshore and has a ridge extending inland maintaing a 1020 just east of us......

NO WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for 170hours with three major Lows over the pacific.

WE ARE HOSED!!!!!!!

Anyone???????
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next ten days with NO WIND>

Only a meager 1024 high is sitting ofshore and has a ridge extending inland maintaing a 1020 just east of us......

NO WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for 170hours with three major Lows over the pacific.

WE ARE HOSED!!!!!!!

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display_alt.cgi?a=npac_slp

Anyone???????
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

Will I ever sail at Port Hueneme again? Yeah, probably, but only on occasion. Really, over the last 10 years or so, I've only sailed there once or twice a year at most.

I believe my point is made by your own admission.

Also, a single photo, of a day here or a day there, does not fairly represent a place. I have a picture of me windsurfing in Cozumel, and also, in Bora Bora, Tahiti. However, I do not go around advertising those places as "windsurfing destinations", as the conditions are not consistent for the sport.

Swchandler, you often jump to conclusions about people without knowing anything about them. Calling people unadventurous for not sailing Port Hueneme is just narrow minded and simply false. We have a very international group at Leo/County Line, some hail from Europe, some from Israel, some from South Africa, and from what I've learned about these people, we have all traveled far and wide for windsurfing/surfing adventures. Fact is, many of us have to work, and we simply don't have time in our day to drive 60-90 minutes to a sailing spot that may or may not pan out for the day. We are busy, and need to make efficient use of our time. Thus, adventurousness has nothing to do with it.

When I worked less, I was willing to spend my entire day looking for wind. Not anymore.
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
Port Jueneme RuLES
No where else except maybe Kanaha on Konas can you pop three consequtive waves !

Old pick but was on cover of catalog back in 98 shot at jueneme!

I live just north of San Diego. Having followed the chit-chat for a few months, on a trip to S.B., over Xmas, I took a detour to Leo Carillo to see what all the excitement was about. Stopped there on the "epic day" at County Line and Leo. As the e-mails extolled, everyone was at County Line with one sailor packing up at Leo.

My impression: no question LA has better conditions than SD. But compared to Baja... no comparison.

A light day at Punta San Carlos is better than the best day in LA (I am assured by LA sailors who frequent P.S.C.). Now I see why. Dave Ezzy, his son Graham, the Pritchards, Jason Polekow and other pros tell me that they prefer P.S.C. to Maui.

What is so special about P.S.C. and San Quintin (now a Mecca for kiters)? Almost incessant geothermal wind, rather than storm conditions.

From the air, you can see what creates it: to the west is the (cool) ocean, to the east the ridge of 10,000 ft San Pedro Martir mountains. Between the two is an arid flat strip about 20 mi wide and some 200 mi. long. The flat strip heats up and the cool ocean draws in the air (to the southeast). The mountain wall to the east channels the wind straight down the Baja peninsular which, at San Quintin, produces the most steady wind I have seen anywhere, including the Gorge, South Africa, Europe, and either coast of the USA. A gust may reach +/- 2 mph of the typical 20 - 25 mph winds. (Those twist-off sails -- leave them at home. Old-time double-luff Aeroforce 5.5 - 6.5m run circles around them. SQ Bay is the only place I can use my Jimmy Lewis Kinetic 9' x 18" "gun board"... that will hold its own against gringo double-outboards. Goes so fast it is scary -- the slightest chop will catapult you over the boom. Wouldn't even try it at the Gorge or Calif. lakes.)

Besides geothermal wind, P.S.C. has one feature that is almost unique and considered among the top 5 sailing spots globally -- the Bombora reef. This reef submerges out from the Bombora island, perpendicular to the bluffs, (you can see the island at www.solosports.com). The reef blocks the chop while letting through the long wavelength swell. So... to the south of Bombora it is like a surf machine on a lake. To the north -- welcome to Jalama in Baja (chop, inconsistent breaks, and generally blown-out, just like I saw at County Line).

The above pic (I took it on a typical day, didn't come from some catalog) shows the perfectly formed sets south of Bombora (Dave Ezzy may be one of the sailors, can't remember). Note how experienced wavesailors "come down the line" ala good board surfers. I didn't see anybody come down the line at County Line, they seemed to be more intent to "bump and jump" (the sure sign of a Gorge sailor at P.S.C.). Also, I wondered whether they had a fixation with sailing to China (seasoned wavesailors almost always jibe when they pass the outer break, and many will jibe on the unbroken wave face -- makes carving a jibe so much easier).

So to all those who wax eloquent (boast?) about their trip to Kanaha, or wherever, you can find better conditions, no crowds, no rangers, all the parking you want, and water that won't give you cancer. Just 8+ hours south of LA (5 for S.Q.). Where you can use your equipment that you are comfortable with (and doesn't require drawing from your 401K to rent, then assimilate) and costs zip (beyond the gas, the grub you would eat anyway, and $5/day). And you can learn from watching the experts.

As to bandidos, you will find more in Compton or Inglewood than in TJ or Ensenada. If you insist on driving at 4 am, or camping alone -- far from any campground -- I recommend practicing in Watts or east LA.

Chili Bowl -- 8 ft set.jpg
 Description:
Sets like marching soldiers. Note crowds.
 Filesize:  138.61 KB
 Viewed:  13166 Time(s)

Chili Bowl -- 8 ft set.jpg

San Carlos 4.0m 8ft waves world-class.jpg
 Description:
Perfectly formed sets south of Bombora. Wavesailors "coming down the line."
 Filesize:  159.46 KB
 Viewed:  13166 Time(s)

San Carlos 4.0m 8ft waves world-class.jpg

nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajavaja, I don't think anybody who knows anything about windsurfing will argue with you that San Diego is weak compared to LA, but that P.S.C. is perhaps one of the best places in the world. Of course LA pales by comparison to PSC, however, PSC is located in the middle of nowhere in Baja, and belongs to the country of MEXXXXXXXICO. (and we all know what that entails.....no need to elaborate here) It just comes down to an individual's time, work, family or other constraints.......on whether or not a trip to PSC can happen.

By the way, we haven't had "epic" conditions at County Line in a long time, at least a year or so, so I doubt you saw County on a real "epic" day. If you read enthusiastic posts, it's because we've been windstarved. Maybe if you got in the water with us that day, instead of just driving by, you would understand better why it was still challenging.

Also, County is not known for its "down the line" sailing. Two-three bottom turns at best... However, it can offer up challenging conditions, and keep you in practice so that when in PSC, or Maui, you are out there attacking the waves, and not just bump and jumping it safely on the inside or somewhere in Kihei.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked Baja was 12 Hours away!

LA overall sucks compared to maui and most other places.....but there are some days that are actually better then most other places.

Juaneme offers challenging condition .....not the 7.0 dagger crap most often encountered.

Most windsurfers started kiting for that reason.....remember?????
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love and loyalty for one's local sailing spot is a very honorable trait!
mik377

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info (and the science lesson) on a place I knew nothing about. I look forward to looking up more info on the spot. As far as the "waxing eloquent" thing how about respecting other's choices to sail differently than what you think is the "right" way?
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have offended local sensibilities, I apologize. Loyalty to one's local favorite spot is commendable. Being myopic in one's "style" is certainly a democratic right. Indeed, why bother with the surf at all when there are so many lakes and other 2-dimensional venues in easy driving distance.

About 12 hours driving time... many SD sailors tell me that, with the recent grading of the stretch from the Baja 1 to PSC (40 mi), they can reach PSC in a 6 - 7 hour drive. I just added 2 hrs for LA. When I drive to PSC, I usually stop at Ensenada for groceries. Costs about 1/2 that of the US, and the meat, eggs, etc don't have antibiotics, hormones, etc -- Mexicans typically have old fashioned farms, with old fashioned range-fed animals (we each have our own opinions on this so I am not pushing mine, just giving info). Then I overnight in San Quintin, so I reached PSC ready to sail without eyes red and a headache. So I take a lot longer than 12 hours, especially since it's against my religion to drive faster than 60 mph in Mexico (if it is of interest, I will be happy to describe the principles of my Baja religion arrived at after 40 years of driving and flying there).

I really don't have a better feel for the driving time from LA to PSC because I don't meet too many LA sailors down there. And that is one of the reasons for my e-pistle. Many So. Cal. sailors may not realize how blessed we are to be so close to Baja. Kevin's Solosports trips to PSC appear to be well subscribed with bookings increasing. Those sailors pay thousands and the vast majority come from abroad -- Japan, France, Canada, Italy, UK, Israel, South Africa, Spain... and then they still have to take Kevin's Nada Bus from SD airport. I am sure they would willingly put up with the extra 2-3 hours from LA. If you want to meet the top Gorge sailors, come to PSC in April. Why would Dave Ezzy, his son Graham, the Pritchards, Jason Polekow, and so many other pros come to sleep in a tent when they could stay home in Maui? A session at Leo or County Line, is fun -- no dispute -- but if you want to improve, I have found it invaluable to watch those guys.

I guess my comments were in response to several postings extolling (boasting?) about their trip to Maui or the Gorge, when one can drive to a spot many Maui sailors have rated (in mags) equal to or superior.

Probably the reason so few So. Cal. sailors drive to Baja is that they read newspapers not available to distant windsurfers, and conclude that MEXXXXICO is a dirty, lawless country inhabited by bandidos, and narco-traficantes. If you insist on driving to Baja at 4 am in a shiny SUV, I recommend practicing in Inglewood, Compton, or east LA (for that chicano flavor). And if you enjoy camping alone, far from any campground, most rangers would not recommend it in the San Gabriel mountains let alone Baja (a deserted beach in the US is an oxymoron anyway). It appears that many gringos undergo a transformation from Dr. Jeckyll to Mr. Hyde when they cross the border; they will blame the Mexicans for anything that happens to them and not speaking English in the first place. Unfortunately, this seems to be especially true of pilots.

In all my years of traveling to Mexico, neither I nor any friend with a house/trailer in Baja, has met a drug-trafficker or organized crime member -- those people are professionals and contact with casual turistas results in newspaper articles that are bad for business. I don't think you could say the same for a stroll around Watts, or east LA. If you stick to the flourishing business district of Ensenada, with its Home Depot, Costco, Wal-Mart, Burger King, etc you will have no problem, even at night; the store parking lots have people that watch them like hawks (could you say the same for a VONS in Inglewood?). I buy my food at Gigante or Comercio Mexicana, having servers wearing rubber gloves and hairnets, the meat pre-packaged with film wrap, and the floor as spotless and glistening as in any US supermarket (but with a filet-mignon steak around $5).

On a positive note: I have mapped out several surfing/sailing spots in Baja, from the air, that are unknown to most. Mea culpa, a few years back I told Laroy about the steady winds at San Quintin and it now appears to have become a Mecca for kiters, with the La Pinta Hotel booked out on many weekends, and I have counted 40 kites in the air on a typical Saturday, with dozens more on the beach. (MEXXXXICO does not seem to have deterred the kiters.) In passing, my Mexican fishing cuates laughingly identified the "secret spot" said, by Surfing mag., to have the best wave in the West (and tried to disguise with a few pics not taken there).

My name is Ian and e-ddress: bajaya@sbcglobal.net if you are interested in an exhiliarating safe sailing/surfing experience, where you can use your own equipment and reach, without booking a flight, on a weekend.

The reason I did not have any equipment when I stopped at County Line is that all my short boards, and sails under 5.5m, live in Baja. I thought, from all the postings, that Leos might be worth the drive from SD. However, from Nealpar's "windstarved" comment I will have to rethink that. If you are prepared to lug a 7.5m sail and 130L board to PSC, you could sail almost every day, even a Santa Ana (I don't have either in Baja, nor does Solosports).
dudco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: PSC Reply with quote

BajaVaya, I am of the leo, county, C-st crowd. yes you
did ruffle some feathers here. probably 90% of us here have been to psc many times. I personally would love to drive down any time a swell and or my schedule agree. The last couple of times however, I go for a good swell and the fog never burns back or it burns back at 5 p.m and blows like 12 m.p.h., for the entire week! Yes there are many other activitys but we all go for one reason. My question is since you seem to go often is, how do I avoid the fog?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: