myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
what to wear to cut down on windchill
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: what to wear to cut down on windchill Reply with quote

I have a surfing wetsuit. Not a windsurf-specific wetsuit, but a surf-specific wetsuit. These are quite different, cos in surfing there is usually little-to-no wind to worry about. Windsurf suits on the other hand don't have a neoprene liner on the outside, they are lined on the inside only. The idea is to remove the outer liner which retains the water, and freezes your a$$ in high-wind situations Result is that the single lined windsurf wetsuits tend to shred/tear far more easily than double-lined surf suits. Which gets expensive, hence my choice of the surfing double-lined wetsuit (a lot more durable).

Now the question is....what about wearing some kind of shell outside the double lined suit when its really cold (and windy!) out there e.g. HMB in the winter. I often wear a thin shell to break the wind when I mountain bike, especially on long downhill sections in cold weather. Could I wear this outside my double lined suit? Or would it tend to
(a) get in the way
(b) retain water thus making me even colder
(c) make it hard/impossible to waterstart etc
(d) anything else you can think of?

I'm hoping that a waterproof treated (waxed, oiled, whatever) thin shell/cover over a double lined suit will compensate for the windchill factor a bit. Curious in hearing some real opinions on this

All of this of course is in addition to booties, a hood, etc, which I wear also.
But its the "how to turn your double lined suit into a single lined suit" problem that I'm focusing on...?

No smart ass replies about me being a wimp please....lets try to solve the engineering problem here.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that works quite well.
I wear a waterproof sailing shell over a regular 4/3. The shell has a neopreme gasket at the waist and cuffs with a waterproof nylon body.
Water still leaks in a little but it also easily drains out. It has the look of a drysuit and some of the function without the tight neck seal. A neo vest under the wetsuit also helps keep the water out of the zipper. The combo is pretty darn warm. No problem waterstarting or when sailing.
The sailing shell can be had at Murrays or probably West Marine.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No smart ass replies about me being a wimp please...."

Smart ass replies??? us?? Shirley you gest... Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear surf wetsuits too, and realize that standing around in the wind can be trying, to say the least. The best thing to do is stay active, assuming that you have sufficient energy and hydration, so that the insulation properties of your protection is optimised. It must be remembered that surfsuits can keep a surfer warm with a greater direct exposure to the water, even while hanging for the sets. Needless to say, activity still is the source for core warmth and the ability to sustain your session.

One thing that can work to your advantage is a liner inside the wetsuit. I'm not too sure of the fabric type, but it's a synthetic that isolates well and wickes off moisture, and also it isn't so prone to mildew or the "classic wetsuit stink" when not religiously washed after each use. The extra thickness involved, and ultimately the greater warmth associated with material, this kind of extra apparel can provide a very notable advantage.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used one windsurfing, but I think it might work pretty well over a wetsuit to break the wind.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say "break the wind" with a straight face.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shells like those (from NRS), but they're spendy, as in $175-$250. OTOH, Walmart sells a two-piece top-and-bottom "exercise suit" touted to help weight lifters sweat (stupid concept, but people actually wear them). Elastic at all the openings, wind-proof, and, the best part ... $14.50. See it at http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8056491 .

\m/
FredBGG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a big favor and get yourself the Oneil heavy thermal rash guard and thermal short. They are a bit pricy, but they really keep you warm. I have them and use them for kitesurfing, dirt biking in the snow and mountain biking. They are designed to keep you warm and they also drain the water or sweat off your skin.

Cheers

Fred
sergem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear poly fleece top and shorts (hyperflex from ebay) under O'Neill Psycho II (surfer suit), and in combination with full hood and 3mm booties, it is hot.

You can even try going barefooted in south storm, like I did last Thursday, realizing that I forgotten booties.

my 2c Smile

Last couple of times it worked at:
Coyote 12/26/2007
HMB - 1/3/2008
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On really cold days I will wear a Depends under my O'neil 4/3 surfsuit. It helps keep my junk warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: