myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
85 Liter B&J board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: 85 Liter B&J board Reply with quote

I was thinking about upgrading my 85 liter board this summer. I have a Naish SuperCross 84 (don't know the year, probably 5-6 years old). My criteria is 84 - 86 liters, good in B&J, with good early planing. If it fits a powerbox fin, so much the better. Also to fit in my car rack it has to be under 60 cm wide (58 ish would be best) and under 255 long.

I was looking at the Fanatic Freewave 86 and the JP Freestyle wave 84. Both cost new right about $1689. OUCH!! Shocked

I'm 175 pounds and would be sailing 4.2 to 5.2 conditions with it. Any opinons? First hand knowledge? And any better prices??? I'll be up in the Gorge in July, other than that I live in the SF bay area.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless that includes June 29 or Aug 3, you'll miss the midsummer Gorge swap meets. For anyone who cares what boards cost, that's a bummer. You'd have a helluva time convincing me some 2008 board is worth $600 more than the same board in a 2007 model, and by fall new 2008's go for 1/2 - 2/3 price.

But have you checked closeout deals at internet (and brick and mortar) dealers? Thats a quick way to save $500-$600 or more on a new warranted board (OTOH, I don't ever recall needing warranty service on a board since my mid-80s Seatrend.) Hood River shops mostly carry different lines to minimize head-to-head same-model price competition, but they must still compete for your dollar.

An additional idea: while in the Gorge this sumer, demo several candidates. You may find juuuust the right board, in which case you could wait 'til fall closeouts and mail-order one in confidence, or may love it so much you decide it's worth paying full price now.

And are new 85-liter boards commonly < 60 cm wide? If not, your options may increase and your cost decrease dramatically if you look for primo used boards. They grow on trees here for ridiculous prices.

\m/
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Goya FSW 85 Reply with quote

The best deal I've seen is the 2006 Goya Freestyle Wave 85. Brand new for $899 from FWD-Hawaii or Windance. I believe it meets all of your criteria.
geffert

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come demo a bunch of boards from us Smile We have a try before you buy demo center in San Mateo.

I have 4 boards that you may love:

1) Naish All-Terrain (115 liter)
2) Quatro Free Style-Wave (85 liter)
3) Tabou 3S (87 & 97 liter)
4) Starboard Kombat (89 liter)

We demo all of the above boards and all are great with different pros/cons but all are great bump and jump.

We are located at Coyote Point in San Mateo, and we will match any on-line/Gorge price so you can buy locally if you would like.

Come see us or call us if you would like.

-Rebecca
Boardsports School & Shop
www.BoardsportsSchool.com
jse

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I rode both the Fanatic FreeWave 86 and JP FSW 84. Kevin (Sunset Sailboards) carries both, and will probably be able to arrange for you to demo them. (Note: I'm not sure if the JP FSW 84 is available for this year anymore.) I found the Fanatic to be lively and fast, and it felt sufficiently different from my JP FSW 93 that I did not consider it. That does not mean it isn't a good board - it is. I just like familiarity. I do like my 93 Liter FSW, except when it's 3.5 conditions at Tomales Smile

Don't expect to pay much less than what these cost for current year models. If you can find a new 2007, you can save maybe 300 bucks. I missed a deal on a 2006 JP FSW 85 for $650 by 5 minutes Sad.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say, reviews on both (the JP reviewed is the Pro model) are here:

http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=48647

http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=1000007815

Steve
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Goya FSW 85 Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:
The best deal I've seen is the 2006 Goya Freestyle Wave 85. Brand new for $899 from FWD-Hawaii or Windance. I believe it meets all of your criteria.

If I could demo :: That would be my first option.
The above Goya is BRILLIANT. Buy it NOW pick up in July.

The others I would consider are :

Tabou 3S 87L, classic box however.

Quarto & JP FSW

The 2 dealers above have lots of choices, I'm sure both would be very helpful.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John... If you go from a Naish Supercross to a Real WInd 80 ltr Surflite, you'll probably quit your job and move to the Gorge. The differences are stunning. I demo'd the supercross, though it was heavy and sluggish, then demo'd the Real Wind and bought one the same day. The one negative is that its not a "loose" board, but speed and stability in chop is unparralled when compared to the others.

Boggsman
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have both of these boards for demo if you want to try them out. As JSE wrote, both boards are great boards, but they are different. The JP seems looser off the tail, while the Fanatic likes more front foot pressure in the turns. The Fanatic seems to have a little more glide and low end for me and my buddy, but we're both only 165-170 lbs, so YMMV. The Fanatic also has more thickness through the center of the board, whereas the JP is more of a potato chip... but both boards have thin rails.

Other things:
Fanatic: Double sandwich top w/ Technora Kevlar deck, wood/carbon reinforcements, and double glass T-Stringers... this is one of the best constructions I've seen that gives you awesome strength, stiffness, and lightness... and you get a TWO YEAR WARRANTY. The foot straps are also nicer than the JP straps, and it comes w/ a G-10 fin.

JP: has the really nice deck pad in the jibe and tacking areas. Footstrap width is a little wider than the Fanatic, so a little better if you have really wide feet and/or wear booties... just depends on your foot. The deck pads are also really nice under your feet... double heel pads and a really thin 1mm sub-pad under the main pads in the footstrap areas to make everything cushy.

Windsurfing is all about feel, and what feels good to one person may not transfer on to the next... so it's best to try them out and see what feels best to you.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 2008 Windsurfing Magazine has a good review of boards in this range. The RRD Freestyle Wave is very popular here in the Gorge.

The bad news is there are a ton of choices, the good news is that all the boards are pretty good these days - just depends on what you like. Don't ignore the golden rule of board buying - try before you buy.
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: