myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sunday 20-30 NW...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insh8bl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Sunday 20-30 NW... Reply with quote

Hey SF gang. NWS has a forecast of 20-30 NW for Superbowl Sunday. I was thinking Tamoles. Anybody know about the week situation up there this time of year???

Brian
insh8bl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPs, weads not week.

B
sailandbail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeds aren't usually an issue there, just at Bodega.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: We founds some weeds there in Dec. Reply with quote

We tried Tomales on south easterlies in mid-late December. The winds were good and the direction was right, but there were quite a few weeds. It was a little too light for me by the time we got there, but my girfriend was able to sail and plane despite the weeds. However, they were hanging all over her boom coming up from waterstarts and slowing her down in general. For that reason, we're thinking Crissy tomorrow. If you go to Tomales, it would be great to hear how it is now.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: We founds some weeds there in Dec. Reply with quote

martyrosse wrote:
we're thinking Crissy tomorrow. .

They said on the news last night that Crissy was closed because of a big
sewage spill in Richardsons Bay.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going south Half Moon Bay looks good for Saturday afternoon (25-30), maybe Berkeley (20s), Crissy. Don't wait until Sunday! Winds will be here this afternoon, already picking up.
maui95

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Tomales late November in 2006 on a NW and it was not sailable due to the weeds, even with my 14 cm freestyle fin. But we have sailed Tomales in February a few times on clearing winds and it has not been a problem. I suspect that sometime between December-January the weed situation resolves until April? May? depending on the year. By then the wind situation is great inside the Bay so we usually don't go that far to catch good wind. I have noticed that the some of the regulars at Bogeda sail with weed fins all year around but that may not cut it depending on your sailing style. in Early spring (Feb -early April) I felt that it was sailable with a wave or freestyle (28 cm) or shorter fin.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeds aren't much of a problem @ tomales until late spring and even then at high tide it isn't bad at all. nothing like bodega bay where without a weed fin you probably can't sail after feb. last feb i sailed bodega with a wave fin. tide has to be at least 2 ft. or you're in the mud.

i don't remember what month it was last time i sailed tomales but i didn't have a weed fin and it wasn't freezing cold so it must have been at least may. my problem that day was head high swell and nuclear wind, which would be a bonus for those of you with tiny gear.
jse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thoughts:

Bodega: Weed fin not absolutely necessary until mid spring. Still a hassle though:

Tomales: Weed fin not absolutely necessary until summer. I've never had problems with the weeds there.

Crissy: Given the press on flesh eating bacteria lately, I wouldn't go near the bay until the sewage spill of YESTERDAY has dissipated.

Half Moon Bay: I've said 50 degrees is my cutoff. Now it's showing 48. Big band of rain from Marin to South SF. Am I going to have to lower my scruples???

Steve
martyrosse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Channel 7 news a few minutes ago, the test results came in this afternoon on the sewage spill. Only a couple of beaches in the Mill Valley/Richardson Bay area showed bacteria levels above state limits, and so those beaches will remain closed. I also heard that the bacteria mixes in vertically and horizontally, unlike oil. It's also been getting blown north and east to behind Angel Island, and it's been mixing out with the tides of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: