myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New in Huntington Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milchtrinker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: New in Huntington Beach Reply with quote

Aloha,
I am German and I am here since January and will stay for 5 months. I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I did not take any gear with me from Germany to the USA so I have to rent some stuff when the wind is on (well yesterday I made the mistake and watched the Superbowl, coz this was supposed to be an Amercian must-see... however, was not really worth it and my heart was bleeding as I saw the wind outside...).

Is there any other location which is closer to Huntingtom Beach than Cabrillo Beach where I can rent gear? I think when the wind is on Seal Beach would be a nice location, but I cant get a board and sail over there, right?

Anyway, surfing alone is not that much fun, so if anyone lives nearby and wants to surf with a german dude, send me a message! Would be nice. Anyhow as I used to surf in Netherlands, Greece and Egypt I am used to flatwater, choppy conditions and not that skilled in waves yet...
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkommen!

Seal Beach rocks! It was 25 mph there yesterday at 4 p.m.. it's a great place to learn wave sailing, or just slalom sail. Sunset Beach is also good but there is a lot of side-shore current--not for beginning wave sailors.

Come down to Seal any windy day this spring, go to the First Street beach lot (farthest beach North in Seal before San Gabriel River/Orange County). A lot of the locals (like me!) have good used gear for sale. Buy a 5.0 and 6.0 (or a 5.5 and 7.0 if you are big) and one board and you can sail at Seal 3-4 times a week from March through April. Cabrillo doesn't start getting really good until it heats up in late June or July.

There will be a big swap meet in March or April where you can pick up good gear super-cheap.

Chris
Milchtrinker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
thanx for your message! Is the wind at seal beach limited to a specific time of the day, coming from termic?

Anyhow, I am just an intern and just spent my christmas money for new snowboard stuff so I cant afford to buy a board and 2 or 3 sails... Is there no chance at all to rent some gear at seal beach? I even did not bring a harness, just my wetsuit...
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got some friends that run a Windsurfing club in that area. Here is the web site:

http://www.clewfirst.com

They can help you out and you might be able to do a rental deal with them as well.

You can find their e-mail on the Instruction page.

Have fun!
Alak.
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milch--The best Seal Beach wind is on spring afternoons. If it's a clearing wind (i.e., just after a front has passed) it is generally best from 11 to 2, but it can blow till past dark (like Sunday). If it's a regular thermal, it happens a little later, like 2-4 or 2-5 p.m. When it gets really warm, i.e., over 80 in Long Beach, Seal starts to shut off. Some kind of thermal low develops over Long Beach and causes the wind to go more offshore. this starts happening regularly around July and after that Seal becomes very unreliable--the choice is Cabrillo. (Or kiting/Formula sailing at Seal).

Cabrillo in late summer blows longer and later, generally 2-6 or even 3-7.

There is one direction that Seal works in the morning--but it's dangerous. On an ENE Santa Ana, the wind blows in the exact opposite direction---side offshore. In this direction it is windy from 8 to 10 or 9 to 11---but be careful and go with a friend as it can shut down and leave you stuck offshore.

And don't discount the Seal swap just because you are poor--I've seen people give stuff away there. And many many boards and sails for sale under $100.

Aloha
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Milch,

I don't know if you're up for a drive to Santa Barbara, but I have some equipment that I could just give you. While that wouldn't include a mast or boom, I definitely have a board and an old sail or two. The sails may need a mylar patch to fix a small cut in the monofilm, but otherwise they're quite serviceable.

Sent me a PM if you're interested.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can swing it... buy new equipment here and ship it back to Germany when you return. I just recently picked up an issue of the German surf mag and from what I gather in EURO pricing you can safe big by buying stuff here in the U.S., even considering cost for shipping. BTW, I got a friend who moved to Belgium who is relying on his source here in the US for that reason. Plus you can get the sales tax back.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Seal Beach Sailing Reply with quote

Welcome Friend,
Watch this forum for the dates of the SB Swap meet. Some time March/April. Excellent used gear. Cheap. Also hit Captain Kirks in San Pedro. I know he has a lot of used gear out back and he most likely can rent as well. Just go to Seal any day it's a little windy and talk to the guys at the rigging area. Good Luck.WS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: