myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
no loyalty
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attila

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: no loyalty Reply with quote

levi left ezzy and went to Niel Pryde last year. Now he has left Starboard and is with Quatro. Maui sails and KP have split Kevin does not have a sail sponsor yet. Keith Teboul and Jake Miller have left Simmer Sails and now are representin on Goya sails. So much brand switching by the leaders in our sport. What is next JP leaves his board sponsor. or Josh Angulo rides for ABC. Is this good for the industry?

Just throwin it out there.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you really give a shite ?
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good?
No, it's evil!!
Ride what you get, dude.
You must not be in the business world!
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loyalty, shmoyalty. It's all about who makes the best offer.

Money talks, bullshit walks.
jakethesnake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm very proud of my loyalty. First off I never rode for simmer, I rode for Ezzy Sails for 10 years! 10 Years! I only make sponsorship changes with companies that I know I can have a long term relationship with. I do believe in loyalty and growing within a company and helping them grow as well.

Jake Miller
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys are loyal and some are not. Angulo has ridden for Ezzy forever. He used to be w/ RRD, but then developed his own line. I'd be surprised if he started using someone else's boards - he'd be shooting himself in the foot.

I personally heard Levi bashing Starboard boards for cheap construction back in 2002 when he rode the Maui Project line for F2. I am also aware many many guys ride Quatro custom boards w/ whatever company's graphics painted over top.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. I like the smaller companies who seem to be able to control their quality better than the larger brands. Ride before you buy. Pay the extra cash for kevlar wraps and extra layups in critical areas. Check the workmanship and materials in the sails. Take note of what kind of equipment is still being ridden after 5 or 10 years at your local beach. If you get 2 more years out of your equipment than you would on the cheap stuff, it is worth the extra cash up front.
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only people for whom this is newsworthy are those in the "biz".

All the 'average' sailor wants is a quality product. I can't keep track of who is currently still a "pro". These guys and gals seem to come and go, disappear and reappear from alleged retirement...etc...

If the people in the "biz" really think that my purchasing decision is swayed by whether or not it's Josh Angulo or Levi Siver (just examples) riding a particular sail or board brand, they are out of touch with reality.

Advice to the industry: Create more opportunities for DEMO-ing gear!!!

There are all these 'so-called' reps here on the mainland, but they aren't doing their job. A recent encounter with a NP rep was disappointing here in L.A. He was just sailing for his own amusement, but had no real info to convey, let alone permit us local sailors to, for example, compare an Alpha to a Zone. Ditto for board makers. It seems that I have to wait until I travel to Maui for vacation before I have a chance to make a decision about a new product. I see lost opportunity there for the "biz"!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Kevin Pitchard's choice of a sail sponsor, he went with Gaastra probably over a week ago. Back together with his brother Matt, which is cool.
jakethesnake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for demo gear check out www.goyawindsurfing.com and www.quatrointernational.com
Contact any of our dealers and they all should have gear for demo. We agree the best way for a person to decide what they like is to try it. If they do not have gear to try please contact me personally and I can help you find some gear to try.

Aloha,
Jake Miller
jake.miller@ocean4hawaii.com
sergem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakethesnake wrote:
If your looking for demo gear check out www.goyawindsurfing.com and www.quatrointernational.com
Contact any of our dealers and they all should have gear for demo. We agree the best way for a person to decide what they like is to try it. If they do not have gear to try please contact me personally and I can help you find some gear to try.

Jake - no one in SF Bay Area (AirWave is a board bag company); Last time I demoed anything was last year on Maui. - QED.

I am with Nealpar - rather than making big deal out of pros, help local test centers. Our best local shop - ASD - is out of business since last summer, Boardsports Berkeley (and SF) are closed, the last solid demo shop is in Rio Vista - 2+ hour drive and poisoned river Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: