myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing vehicle, Mini Van ,SUV,Honda Element or box van
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnisam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got THE answer: Prius, 50 mpg!! ( nothing but kite gear:-)). Rolling Eyes
Petrocelli99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I use a Ford E150 cargo van, and carry inside 4 boards, 7 sails, 4 booms, 7 masts, 3 wetsuits, and everything else I need. Plenty of room for camping gear, and I lay a sleeping bag on an air mattress down the middle to sleep. To see how I have thevan set up, check out this page and the links to the photo album on my blog.

If you go the cargo van route, get a light duty van (like the E150). A heavy duty van (like an E350) will have its suspension set up for carrying a ton (literally) of cargo, and with your light windsurfing stuff the ride will be terrible.

The only thing I'd change about the van if I could would be to make it 4WD, otherwise it's an outstanding shredmobile. Gas mileage is not great (20mph highway) but the vehicle itself is so inexpensive to buy and maintain that I don't sweat it. My buddy who is a plumber went surfing with me on the West coast of Vancouver Island, and we had a blast in it. Too bad our girlfriends didn't want to go as they found the water to be really cold. Oh well.

Seperately, I did not know that there's enough room behind a minivan's driver's seat to fit boards (that would be 8 feet minimum). I would get into any minivan you're looking at, and think about exactly where you're going to put your boards. When I set up my van I had to plan around a 9'3" board. It had to go low in the rack because the the back of the driver's seat angles towards the rear, and the amount of clearance you have at floor level is more than what you have 3 feet off the deck.

I just bought a used Toyota cruiser. They're great four wheel drives, and handle soft sand with a breeze when the a-track mode is engaged. Kinda pricey and not that great on gas, but I absolutely love it. It has a nice roof rack, and a lot of room in the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: