myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
carbon boom, needed or not?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: carbon boom, needed or not? Reply with quote

I need a bigger boom for my new 8.5 sail. The Chinook Pro Alloy I already own is stretched to the max setting, 227cm.
I'm looking at the next size up in the Pro Alloy line, a 185- 247.
Am I crazy for not going carbon? What do most folks do in this size range, carbon or good, stiff alloy?
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of threads on this, but people (including me) seem to really like the Pro Alloy. Since you've got your small boom maxed out, you'll feel a big improvement by going to the longer one. That said, you'll still have the boom extended 40+ cm, which is not idea. I upgraded to carbon for 8.5 and 9.5 sails, use pro alloy for smaller. So it may come down to whether you think you'll get bigger sails. In any event, I'd still consider the 225 Pro Alloy, since you already have the smaller length covered. That boom will only be slightly extended for your 8.5, making it much stiffer.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the pro alloy, 185-247 on my 9m, it works fine. i set it at 241 for the 9m.
and its about a 1/4 the co$t of carbon.
if i was a racer, then ya maybe carbon.

spennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrggghhhh, NOOO, get the carbon! Sure it's more expensive, but it lasts 3-4 times as long, and is much stiffer, super important for big sails. When a gust hits that 8.5 barn door, your boom flexes inward, causing you to lose outhaul, making your draft deeper & more powerful---during a gust! You'll feel the improvement in performance in the first 30 seconds of sailing a carbon boom. Take out a second on the house, and buy the carbon!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose an Aeron V-Grip instead of the Pro Alloy. The weights were similar, but I fond the swing weight of the Aeron was much less. The tail must be lighter.

I tried a large carbon boom recently and the difference on water was huge. It was in light wind, so I cannot comment on the importance of having something stiff. The sail was much easier to move around with the lighter boom. Since my largest boom sees the most use, I will eventually replace it with carbon, but it's not a priority for me. I still need more sails, and...

I guess everyone will be different. I feel there is a kind of threshold for weight. You feel the weight is great, but just a little more and it's too much. My smaller sails and booms are well below the threshold and never feel heavy. My 9.0 with the V-Grip is on the edge. For lighter sailors, I suspect it will be somewhat too heavy. They would benefit more than I from a carbon boom.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Take out a second on the house, and buy the carbon!

I buy premium sails and masts and everyone knows how expensive boards are, but for some reason I have trouble justifying spending $700-800 for a boom.
However, I know if I tried carbon it would be all over!
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stiffness and weight differences with carbon are history.
Go in a store and pick up some mono alloys and some carbons like we have done for years in our store.
They weigh only ounces apart./Same with stiffness.

If you formed yoir opinion more than two years ago like most sailors,you may not be up to date.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Most of the stiffness and weight differences with carbon are history.
Go in a store and pick up some mono alloys and some carbons like we have done for years in our store.
They weigh only ounces apart./Same with stiffness.

If you formed yoir opinion more than two years ago like most sailors,you may not be up to date.

The Chinook Pro Alloy 185-247 weighs 8.3 lbs. The Pro Carbon 180-246 weighs in at 5.5 lbs. I've never used a carbon boom but nearly three pounds lighter sounds like a lot. Does it matter?
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker works in a windsurf shop and doesn't know the carbon boom is 3.2 pounds lighter? While the difference in stiffness may be small in the smaller sizes, it's very noticeable when you get up around 245 like you're talking about. I also have big carbon booms (8.2) that are 10 years old and still stiff as the day I got them.

One of the basic rules of windsurf gear, valid 20 years ago and still valid today: Buy as much carbon as you can afford.

w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno now, i was just out for a 2 hr cruise on the 9m/equipe with my proalloy booms.. thought i was doing ok, and having fun but now after reading this i realize just how absolutely terrible it actually was. Wink
whatever.
if you can afford the carbon..well thats awesome. some day i may buy some too.
if you cant justify the cost, you will still find the larger alloy booms way stiffer than the smaller ones on a big sail like the 8.5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: