myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hawaii State Law would prohibit WS within 200' of a surfer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why I much prefer windsurfing in Baja --

No swimmers (Mexicans don't seem to enjoy the ocean).
All beaches open (Federal property).
Nobody telling you when and where to surf/sail.
Miles upon miles upon miles of idyllic deserted beaches.
Smooth geothermal winds (rather than meteorological).
Beaches are naturally replenished by rainstorms (no damn dams).
No pollution so. of Ensenada.
You can breathe the air without getting lung cancer, and see every star.
Flocks upon flocks of birds, plus seals, coyotes (4 legged), etc.
A few hours drive from gringoland (north Baja).

Viva MEXXXICO, viva Baja -- adelante!

Please don't bring your Winnebago south. There are bandidos around every corner, everyone will steal everything you own, they don't speak English, and hate gringos.
Stay home in the USA and leave the beaches to us Baja lovers in the condition they once were on Maui.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the things I like about Maui:
All beaches open (Federal property).
Maui-Ditto
Nobody telling you when and where to surf/sail.
Maui-In 7 years of spending 3-8 months there no one ever told me where to sail.I don't go to Kanaha in the morning because the wind rarely blows not the 11:00 oclock rule
Miles upon miles upon miles of idyllic deserted beaches.
Maui-Easy to be alone on the beach, but not on the south.
Smooth geothermal winds (rather than meteorological).
Maui -Thermal winds are what makes Maui the place and not the other islands
Beaches are naturally replenished by rainstorms (no damn dams).
Maui-No damn dams
No pollution so. of Ensenada.
Maui-No pollution
You can breathe the air without getting lung cancer, and see every star.
Flocks upon flocks of birds, plus seals, coyotes (4 legged), etc.
Ditto for Maui except Kihei and the wolves wear baggies
A few hours drive from gringoland (north Baja).
Maui-Five minute drive from good hospital-Been rushed there fron Kanaha twice
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keycocker. If you prefer Maui so much more then please go there instead of Baja. And please take all your friends, especially the ones that are inconsiderate kitesurfers and drive Winnebagos and quads.

The rest of us Baja lovers who need real jobs and have families and can't afford to fly to Maui, every other month, to stay in a hotel at gringoland rates will toast you with a margarita in the sunset -- while we camp on the beach.

BTW I am off to Baja tomorrow for my one-week-a-month stay. How often do you get to Maui?
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two should give it a rest. You can't compare apples to oranges. Besides, if a guy can afford to eat at a steak house instead of McDonald's, who cares? It's his choice.

Coachg
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: It looks like this law got defeated Reply with quote

On rec.windsurfing theres a reply that said it did.
The thing about Maui is it can blow all year long.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from David and Suzie Dorn of Action Sports Maui:

Here is a recap of yesterday in Oahu.

We had missed the deadline to submit our testimony via e-mail or fax (the deadline was THURSDAY February 14th at 2:45). I think most people found out about this bill after 2:45 on Thursday.

We found out we could submit our testimony in person so we had no choice but to fly to Oahu. David wrote a 13 page testimony regarding safety of kitesurfing and windsurfing on Maui, including photos. We phoned the Maui senators and found out there were no Maui based Senators on the land and water committee involved in SB2091. We were able to book the last 2 tickets for the 12:50 flight to Oahu.

We received calls from frantic shop owners, windsurfers and kiters, that were panicking about the meeting, missing the deadline to submit their testimony and not being able to get to Oahu for the meeting. I told everyone to e-mail me their testimony and I would submit it in person.

We arrived on Oahu at 1:40p.m. took a cab (no time to get a rental car) and rushed to the Senate building. We found the public information room at the Senate building where we were able to download and print all e-mail testimonies. We had to print 12 copies of each testimony. We had a giant stack of testimonies. We received e-mails from shop owners, professional sailors, a judge, international visitors, local kiters and windsurfers, and international and local associations.

The meeting began a little before 3:00. Senator Clayton Hee began the meeting by stating that SB2091 was being deferred (delayed or put on hold). Senator Hee said he would not be hearing public testimony related to SB2091.

David Dorn stated he wanted to testify. David Dorn's testimony stated that based on safety issues and the proven track record of co-existence with swimmers and surfers there was no need for this bill. David also stated this bill would affect hundreds of jobs, businesses, and most importantly the entire community of windsurfing and kitesurfing on Maui. David told Senator Clayton Hee that we already have rules and local associations for the user groups and we all work together. David also was able to submit all testimonies that we received via e-mail.

SB2091 has only been deferred so it may come up again. Anyone who would like to have their testimony on file can send it to me at suziej@maui.net and I will submit it if SB2091 comes up again.

Thanks
David and Suzie Dorn
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends ride bicycles.There are no cars on this island in Belize.
Since my best friend died kiting here, non of will even touch a kite. I get to Maui about six months a year these days. A ticket from LA or Seattle can be found for $200 each way.
I stay upcountry in places that costs from US$650 to $800 a month. The wind blows so much that I hardly get a chance to swim in the waterfalls on Hana hiway while flowers and wild guava fruit rain down.
Sitting around in the heat in those dusty trailer camps in the Baja seems to appeal to that class of people you mentioned so count on more coming every day. They drink a lot, too.
Waiter, please bring me another pineapple smoothie.
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were living in HI, I'd go find out who is the political OPPONENT of the person who introduced this bill, and indicate my support for them, and willingness to organize additional support, due to this ridiculous bill!

Believe me, when it comes to politicians, they will bend under pressure like that!
victor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are just too many people trying to surf/sail/swim/paddleboard/kite the same limited spots. they may be some the best spots on the planet but they belong to the hawaiians not the windsurfers that can afford to go there for a week or two and the companies that make money off of them.

let the hawaiians decide what to do with thier beaches. they were surfing and swimming them long before we showed up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: