myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf level for Paia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazbrok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Windsurf level for Paia? Reply with quote

Hi,

What level does one need to have to windsurf at Sugar Cove? We are 1 expert and 2 intermediate (some waterstart). Lots of breaks at shore? Tricky entrance/exit point? Lots of wave?

I found info on Sprecksville and Hookipa but can't seem to find much on Sugar Cove

Thanks in advance!
Pat
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I last stayed/sailed at Sugar Cove 14 years ago. Was a real novice then and managed to get smashed into breakwater/wall at high tide by a wave. You come down stairs thru the wall to the beach (or at least I did....).

My recollection is that launching wasn't that bad (otherwise) and enough cuts thru the reef to get outside without too much hassle. I've sailed many times since at Kanaha and Sprecks and would not hesitate to return to SC at my current "advanced-intermed" level. However, I'd be a bit cautious depending on what "some water-start ability" really means. Outside and/or in breaking waves it can be REALLY important to quickly waterstart. They might choose to pack up and drive the few miles to Kanaha where conditions may be a bit more user-friendly, as I did that first time.

On a related note, Sugar Cove is one of the few beach accommodations still legal to rent in Maui given the current rental permit county hassle. See the SF Chron last Sunday:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/17/TREKUTAIM.DTL

David
bruder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurf level for Paia? Reply with quote

nazbrok wrote:
Hi,

What level does one need to have to windsurf at Sugar Cove? We are 1 expert and 2 intermediate (some waterstart). Lots of breaks at shore? Tricky entrance/exit point? Lots of wave?

I found info on Sprecksville and Hookipa but can't seem to find much on Sugar Cove

Thanks in advance!
Pat

Hi Pat, Sugar Cove has light wind on the inside so you may have to swim you gear out to get started. Intermediates will have better sailing at Sprecks, Kanaha, or camp one. --John
carl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lots of waves" can vary greatly, depending on what time of year too.

Summer is usually fairly flat on the north shore, whereas Oct thru May the waves can be much bigger and even huge at times.
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The present political climate in Maui will have long term economic repercussions. When the attitude of "not in my backyard" is replaced with with "oh shit, how do I pay the rent or the mortgage", and the inhabitants realize that most of them made a pretty darn nice living off of the backs of tourists flocking there from the mainland, perhaps they will exert a little more effort than just whining about the new laws being enacted there.

It seems to me that island residents tend to get lazy mentally or simply indifferent or even apathetic about the world at large. (I can sort of understand how that happens there....)

The local windsurfing community was rather caught with their pants down in connection with the recent 200 ft rule being introduced there. Everybody claimed "they didn't know". That's only possible if you're utterly not paying attention!!!

If this trend continues, it truly will be time to look for another windsurfing vacation destination. I hear they have reasonable rentals and cool people in Fuerteventura. Wink
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
The present political climate in Maui will have long term economic repercussions. When the attitude of "not in my backyard" is replaced with with "oh shit, how do I pay the rent or the mortgage", and the inhabitants realize that most of them made a pretty darn nice living off of the backs of tourists flocking there from the mainland, perhaps they will exert a little more effort than just whining about the new laws being enacted there.

It seems to me that island residents tend to get lazy mentally or simply indifferent or even apathetic about the world at large. (I can sort of understand how that happens there....)

The local windsurfing community was rather caught with their pants down in connection with the recent 200 ft rule being introduced there. Everybody claimed "they didn't know". That's only possible if you're utterly not paying attention!!!

If this trend continues, it truly will be time to look for another windsurfing vacation destination. I hear they have reasonable rentals and cool people in Fuerteventura. Wink

Pass it around...... (that stuff you must be smoking!)

RE Ku'au: If you can handle Jalama and Ho'okipa then NO Problem. Place gets big and easy to loose orientation. Lovely swim back if you end up to far down wind! Lunch is No problem. Getting out you need timing. Best to go warm up at North reef at Kanaha. (do n't be a sisi and use the channel if you can handle that ...then you are ready for Ku'au.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:

Pass it around...... (that stuff you must be smoking!)

I would, except that I don't want to exacerbate the chemical imbalance in your brain. Wink
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200ft rule has been in effect since sailors became a "watercraft".

This was done to permit certain sailors to be able to sail in certain places back in the early 80's.

Norm has been blowing that up our asses for the last two decades! Flags , poles junior lifeguards without a clue chasing you down the beach for riding surf!!!

Leo Carrillo (A.K.A. ...................) is one of the most jacked up places to windsurf waves, when it comes to rules and regulations.

This type of shit is enough to produce a chemical imbalance in most .....!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: