myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Unfair County Rules may kill windsurfing schools on Maui.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Unfair County Rules may kill windsurfing schools on Maui. Reply with quote

Unfair County rules may kill windsurfing schools on Maui
Maui County has proposed new rules that will almost certainly kill watersports instruction on Maui. This is bad news for the Maui watersports community. And bad news for all the schools that have been serving the community for decades.

Just one example is, Proposed Rule 10-102-22 prohibits windsurfing schools from having more than two instructors working at one time. This will eliminate our kids camps, and any other high-school programs. This will put the vast majority of watersports instructors out of work, and most (if not all) schools will go out of business. The sports affected are Windsurfing, kitesurfing, surfing, kayaking, Scuba diving, etc.

We need public testimony from anyone who supports these sports. Please support our instructors, and schools by writing a letter or email. And send it to

Tamara Horcajo, Maui County parks director, tamara.horcajo@co.maui.hi.us
Zachary Helm, deputy director parks, zachary.helm@co.maui.hi.us
Mayor Charmaine Tavares, charmaine.tavares@co.maui.hi.us
Jo Anne Johnson, jo_anne.johnson@mauicounty.us
Michelle Anderson, michelle.anderson@mauicounty.us
Senator Shan Tsutsui, sentsutsui@Capitol.hawaii.gov
And cc a copy to
info@mauikiteboardingassociation.com

Last edited by actionsportsmaui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
jse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF's up with Maui? First the guest house ban, then the 200 yard rule, now this??? Something is going on that is more than what meets the eye. Somebody has an axe to grind against the watersports industry. I think you need to find out who is behind these rediculous laws and VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE!

Steve
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Steve here, the folks now running Maui have literally flipped their wigs, and from all appearances, seems like the rest of Hawaii might be losing it too. Maui used to be a vibrant spot to vacation, enjoy and have fun. I just don't understand where this place is going and why. I'm sure glad that I was able to have some great memorable trips throughout the 90s before things started turning sour.

Now it sounds like the place has been infected by a weird disease that's causing many in power there to rapidly lose their sense of spirit and aloha. It's almost like there is a war going on there. Next step is the police state loaded with untenable rules and restrictions. What a truly sad state of affairs. I feel sorry for those that live there, especially those that didn't play a role in voting the wrong folks into power. Maybe a mass impeachment should be considered and implemented before things get too out of hand.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the Mayor of Maui who, as newspapers have reported, has been voicing her opposition to B&B's operating in residential neighborhoods. I wonder what her stance is on watersports, or sports, in general.

Maui Mayor.jpg
 Description:
Mayor of Maui
 Filesize:  14.78 KB
 Viewed:  16916 Time(s)

Maui Mayor.jpg

nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added her name to her picture: Charmaine Tavares.
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Recall that mayor Reply with quote

Your problem is that mayor. She's got some definite prejudices that drive her policy. Someone needs to start a recall petition. We recalled Gray Davis here in CA - and he was governor.

Government can be a dangerous thing when left unchecked. That said, what's the latest carnage? No more TVR's, a 200 ft. rule, 2 instructors per school, what's next - a cap on wind speeds? Or how about those pesky stand up paddle boards? Or what about jet skis? I'll tell you what - let's make it fair and say anybody making money through 'activities' outside of the hotel areas - just get off the island. No more boat cruises. No more sport fishing or snorkeling. As a matter of fact anybody that does not bow down and worship mayor Tavares should just go to prison.

She obviously does not care about the small business person or the rights of individuals. Not somebody you really want at the helm of an isolated economy heavily dependent on tourism.

Recall...

Good luck guys. I wish you well...
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Another idea... Reply with quote

I'm half serious when I say this...

You guys on Maui should propose legislation banning all tour buses east of Paia due to the impact of CO2 emissions on the fragile windward landscape and the environmental impact of foot traffic at the popular bus stops along the Hana Highway. Tour buses are big business on Maui. And the environment is always a huge rallying point.

I know it sounds extreme but how do you think politicians leverage their way into getting what they want or getting other legislation killed - they threaten others who then have to apply political back-pressure to the instigating party's favor. Politics is dirty business. You may need to think outside of the box.

Just a suggestion.
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that a lot of people outside of Maui don't realize is that those of us windsurfers who live here are a minority. Mayor Tavares, in my opinion, seems to be playing to strong "locals" sentiment. There's a pretty strong sentiment here among those who "where grown here not flown here," that Maui has pandered too much to tourism, that people coming here from the mainland are THE reason for all their problems.

Now, we can all debate how ignorant and short-sighted that stance is, but that argument holds little sway with the local community. Unless you are part of the "Maui born and raised" set right now, our opinions are of little value to those currently in power (unless you're a very rich developer and can grease the administration's pockets, then they'll listen).
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff_bennett64 wrote:
Something that a lot of people outside of Maui don't realize is that those of us windsurfers who live here are a minority. Mayor Tavares, in my opinion, seems to be playing to strong "locals" sentiment. There's a pretty strong sentiment here among those who "where grown here not flown here," that Maui has pandered too much to tourism, that people coming here from the mainland are THE reason for all their problems.

Now, we can all debate how ignorant and short-sighted that stance is, but that argument holds little sway with the local community. Unless you are part of the "Maui born and raised" set right now, our opinions are of little value to those currently in power (unless you're a very rich developer and can grease the administration's pockets, then they'll listen).

I don't like their attitude and I think in the long run they will be worse off, but as seen from their point of view what they are doing makes sense to them. An anecdote - after the end of apartheid in South Africa, Europeans flooded into the Cape Town property market driving up the price of property very rapidly to the point where average South Africans couldn't afford to buy in the desirable areas in Cape Town. Similar passions were voiced, but fortunately for the South African tourism industry calmer minds prevailed, and tourism now accounts for between 5% and 10% of South African GDP (depending on the source).
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me offer some thoughts on what I believe is starting to happen in Maui, not that it hasn't been brewing for some time, but it starting to get real traction.

First, I would like to present a similar parallel that has affected Kauai. My sister has lived on Kauai since the mid 70s, and I have visited many times since 1977. The Northshore of Kauai is an incredible spot which is the epitome of a tropical paradise, and over the years many folks have realized this, particularly outsiders with huge sums of money. What has happened over time is that these wealthy folks bought up the majority of the property, and while they were not in Kauai, their property became high class vacation rentals. The fact the best part of the island was consumed by outsiders has really got under the skin of the locals who could no longer afford live there, and unfortunately resentments have grown.

Now Maui has a much bigger tourist industry than Kauai, and I believe that fact is at the root of dissatisfaction, particularly amongst the locals on the northshore of the island. I think that many locals accept and tolerate the tourism industry and all the throngs of outsiders, but only if they all hang out on the southshore.

Where the rub comes in is that windsurfing folks really want to hang out on the Northshore. Like what has played out on the Northshore of Kauai, outsiders have expanding their base on the northshore of the island pressuring the local population in many different ways. Unfortunately for windsurfing, the locals appear to have elected a political contingent that wants stifle the sport and return the power back in their direction.

The one thing that I recognized years ago on Maui is that very few locals, especially native Hawaiians, are really interested or participate in windsurfing as a sport. They view it as an elitist thing that conflicts with their interests, and they certainly aren't real supportive of outsiders from all over the world invading their scene. It's truly a clash of cultures and interests.

It's really too bad, but I'm afraid that things are just beginning to ramp up against windsurfing. Who is going to win the power struggle over time? It's difficult to predict, but it's clear that the heat of battle is only going to escalate in this war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: