myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Locals in Action
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Maui Locals in Action Reply with quote

"ROAD TO JAWS - 2006"

Just discovered this photo while "google-earth"-ing Maui. When I clicked on Jaws, this photo came up. Upon looking for the source of the photo, it was revealed that this happened in 2006, and was done by the locals. Niiice.

Road to Jaws in 2006.jpg
 Description:
Road to Jaws in 2006
 Filesize:  136.81 KB
 Viewed:  11734 Time(s)

Road to Jaws in 2006.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the irony in the post!

Unfortunately, not everybody in the societal mix are responsible in their actions, and that's often clear almost anywhere in the world. While an eyesore, garbage dumping sites aren't uncommon and accepted by some. Out of sight is sometimes out of mind.

Yet, needless to say, it seems questionable that the elected government officals on Maui, and maybe seemingly Hawaii too, might be working with the wrong local folks. Of course, some electorial winners will wantonly pander to their core constituencies to pay back for earlier support, regardless of their integrity.

Do you think that windsurfing should be compromised and rejected because some foolish folks don't seem to see the picture? I just don't understand how windsurfing has been such a safety problem to warrant such a stiff and unrealistic response.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not the road to go sail at Jaws. You have to access it from up the coast and ride in on a boat or jetski. That is a road on a long delayed development on the cliff above.It is that development that may shut us out of the cliffside lookout where we watch the pros sail.
Maui wrote so many green rules on the island that it became impossible to operate a junk yard on Maui. They could not rewrite the laws a little less green and junk cars piled up all over the island. You see only a small part here of an island wide problem caused by an excess of "environment protection"
After some time the Governer of Hawaii solved it by declaring a state of emergency on Maui. This allowed the County to bypass its own laws and allow the junk to go somewhere and be dealt with.
This had nothing to do with windsurfing or watersports. The locals were the most pissed off about this because they had the junk cars they needed to deal with and most didn't want to just dump them on the hiway as you see in the photo.
The irony here is that this mess was caused by too zealous late arrivals on Maui who were sincerely trying to "protect" the environment by strengthening junk yard rules.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Dabull's old Toyota truck I see way in the back? Laughing
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: LIVIN GREEN!!! Da natch!!! Reply with quote

Si senor! Eet rons so goood! Haven't you heard of RentaWreck? Bull
jse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I took a walk down that road last year. I couldn't believe what a dump it was. Creepy.

Steve
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker,

Regarding your comments above, I'm a bit curious about the junk car situation. Needless to say, the environment in Hawaii is very tough on cars, so their useful life is relatively short irrespective of the condition of their engine and drivetrain. Because of this, the numbers of expended junk cars has always been quite high.

Now, you have indicated that "green" laws were enacted thereby preventing junkyards to operate as a business. It's my understanding, at least here on the mainland, that folks can receive a token payment for junk cars based on a portion of their scrap metal value.

What I wonder is whether Maui residents actually do have a way to dispose of their cars, but that they have to pay a fee to do so. I'm thinking that that might be the root of the problem that leads folks to irresponsibly dump junk vehicles. Of course I'm speculating a bit here, but I find it difficult to believe that the County of Maui has no way of handling dead vehicles. As with trash pickup and disposal, it does cost money for the service.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things were the same in Maui until the new rules were enforced. Most folks are happy to get a small payment at the yard for their scrap car but the rules became so stringent the last yard remaining closed.
On the main you just haul into the next County. On an island what do you do? With no legal yard left the tow trucks stopped hauling wrecks, leaving them for County clean up crews. The County could not meet the rules either so they stopped picking up wrecks. The people had no choice but abandon them. More cars came in-no wrecks went out. After a year or so a kind person offered a place to put cars for free and arranged a big scrap dealer to send a boat to pick up the whole problem. The cars had to be gathered to load them and that meant stopping a few hours - no legal yard = no stopping so the law required that rescue to stop also. The boat went back empty.Even the wrecked County truck didn't get shipped out. It would have had to stop briefly in the Port for the crane- no stopping except in legal yard.
It was all about grease spots under wrecks.
The Counties "solution" was to search abandoned cars find the owner and fine them and force them to pick up the car and tow it to ?????
That is when they began to set them on fire like those in the picture.Guv declared a state of emergency and allowed a yard to accept wrecks to ship out. It took two years but public lands are mostly cleaned out A few back roads still show the glory days of well intended gov. protection gone out of control.
I run a Nature Reserve here. Our biggest setbacks in convincing the Belize people to protect this natural wonderland come from environmental extremists making not so sensible demands on the locals.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker,

Thanks for your insightful and thoughtful response to my questions and concerns. Sounds like Maui's citizens became the victum of an irresponsible and poorly thought out situation.

I wonder whether the majority of Maui's current county government officials are making another series of mistakes regarding vacation rentals, watersports rules, and the structured watersports teaching outlets and opportunities at public beach park facilities.

In my opinion, the fact that they may know very little about, or choose to not care about, windsurfing or other watersports users doesn't seem to float in a state of the US. If public safety, or other legal or business related issues are the bearing for restrictive governmental actions, I would hope the situation has been fully thought out and the hard statistics exist to support legal action. Just being against something, or not caring about it, doesn't mean that the government can discriminate against a minority of citizens, or even its legal visitors.

While this is obviously not your burden, and I understand that, it's interesting food for thought and consideration.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. Sometimes I seem like a contrary voice here because I make virtue of finding WHY.
Like the 200 ft thing. It was a genuine concern for safety by a non windsurfing congressman.
The school thing is trying to open access to watersports schools like scuba and surf to those who do not have the bucks to compete with long established businesses. The resorts have been moving in on the larger local operators and that is not the direction the Parks think the business should take. They are turning the bus around and opening the door to let smaller operators threaten the established guys instead.
Each sport is affected differently. In our case the schools are very important to a sport with fewer and fewer sailors and quality instruction doesn't come out of a hat. The kids programs alone need an exemption. They are our future.
Most folks who sail in Maui do not stay upcountry, they stay in condos and hotels in the South. Most Upcountry tourists are plain vanilla tourists. Making the illegal guest houses operate with more respect to their neighbors is not an attack on windsurfing.
Saying all the rentals are gone is a fairy tale.
These gov guys regulate a lot of things they know little about, from water to traffic to stray dogs, and will never study up on windsurfing, substrata infarcations, chaos theory,flea control or any of the many things they actually need to know to write laws correctly. Right now many on this board are taking it personal and not seeing the world as a big place with windsurfing only a tiny of Maui life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: