myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Weeds at Leo Carrillo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laci

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Weeds at Leo Carrillo Reply with quote

Having sailed at Leo for the first time this season yesterday, I was struck by how much the kelp beds have grown since last year. There is currently no clear path to the wave zone without heavy kelp . I know that in past years the winter storms actually helped thin the kelp but it seems that the opposite has happened this year. Is there anything that can be done to improve this situation? When the lifeguards put back the buoys they will probably go right through the kelp.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lifeguards grafted new "weedlings" during the past 4 months to create an impassible forest for us. I say we get our garden tools and paddle out and go to town....then dry it out and smoke it. Cool

PS: Seaweed isn't some protected plant, is it, so that we end up in jail on some felony charge? Shocked
MikeUzi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a channel through the weeds, but man it was narrow. A little higher tide probably would have helped thin out the weed clumps.
mikecole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fins with slightly more rake help with getting through the kelp beds. Examples are Surfingsports.com freeweed and TrueAmes Surfgrass. We lost a lot of kelp at Jalama this winter and it sucks. The heavy kelp beds knock the wind chop off the water which helps the wave. Less kelp has detracted from the quality of the wave for sure. Embrace and nurture your kelp! If the slalom sailors with their airplane wing fins manage to cut a channel, then you can us it Smile

Mike

fins.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.32 KB
 Viewed:  16120 Time(s)

fins.jpg

NORMPE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kelp is usually worst this time of year, but i'll admit it is very thick this year. It really only takes a couple of high wind weekends with a good crew to carve out our usual channels. So sharpen your fins and full speed ahead!
laci

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess there really is no better solution to the weeds than to bite the bullet and sail right at them until enough of us have done it to cut a channel. I also have been using a surf-weed fin for a few years now, mine happens to be an Orca Weed Wave, and I actually did sail through the kelp a few times last Saturday. I was hoping there might be an easier way, such as Nealpar's suggestion. Seriously, one guy with a mask and fins and a pruning knife.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Seriously, one guy with a mask and fins and a pruning knife. "

We might be able to talk DaBull into that one.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since kelp can grow a foot in 2 days, we have to hope for warm water which halts the growth of kelp. Summer warmth shuts it down.
FredBGG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefull what you hope for......

Last year warm waters kept the wind from comming right down to the water surface.

I remember a ton of days when I was powered up on a relatively small kite while sails on the water surface were having trouble.

Kelp can be nasty, especially for kiters, but warm water can be worse.

Having done some underwater work in the past my guess is that it would be a very long and hard job clearing out a channel wide enough to be usefull.

I used to ride a twin concave windsurfer board with very sculpted rails.
Busted my fin to down to about an inch and a half... still I could ride that board. It was pretty thin and on the long side. It could really hold an edge, however it tended to flip over if I was hit by a sudden lull.
Didn't try it in the waves though...bet it would be tough...
MikeUzi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was full speed kelp cutting this one time at Leo and ran into a piece of driftwood a little bigger than a baseball bat. I got freakin launched!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: