myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maine Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bates

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Maine Windsurfing Reply with quote

I go to school in Lewiston Maine, wondering if anyone could point me towards a good resource for sailing sites on the coast, or know of any. I have not spent much time sailing in cold waters, and thus could use a sailing buddy with some experience with cold sailing. I like sailing any conditions strong enough to plane with a 85l board and a 5.7.
icesailing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: good sailing in maine Reply with quote

hi, i hear pine point just above old orchard beach is an awesome spot on a south/ southwest day. plus hapton harbour is always a good time on a west wind day.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I sailed at Long Sands, York Beach. The area has become somewhat of a surfing resort these days. The waves are easy rollers. You need a full wetsuit at the height of summer, though.
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Maine Locations Reply with quote

Hi,

I live in Maine also, Bridgton to be exact.

Pine Point is the big hangout, it's North of Old Orchard Beach, on
a windy day there will a lot of windsurfers and kiters.

Also, in the Lakes region in Naples me there is a Lake called Long lake, on a North/NW, it turns into the Gorge. Basically, front come off the back side of Mt Washinton/Mt Washington Valley and funnel down this long narrow lake, it gets really crazy. There used to be a lot more people going out there but there is really only a little lauch. Cna only be used
in the spring and fall due to the small launch and all the summer gapers come and wreck all the fun plus you have a good chance of getting run over by a speedboat (2 people died last year or a jet ski rental) plus the wind sucks in the summer.

Feel free to email me your contact info or I will email you when I head out: gq4u_2000@yahoo.com or 207-899-9970.

I have a variety of gear: 160, 145 and 120 board and sails from 9.0 to 4.3
I'm 220 lbs. you will find in general you need larger gear probably than you are used to unless you want to sail storm fronts. Typically, it's about 5-8 mph's lower than Cape Cod.

-Greg
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Event up in Canada over the border. Reply with quote

Thought you might find this interesting. The Canadians love their windsurfing.

They have a great event in Quebec at the end of May. I have been trying
to drum up interest for the event with anyone in Northern NE that windsurfs. Here is the link, you can right click and translate to English.

Keep me posted if you are interested in heading up, it would be great to have some fellow English speaking Americans around.

http://www.windsurfing.qc.ca/

regards,
Greg
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the snow pack like up there right now?
bates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha sad to say I still saw some lasting snow piles on my drive up today
fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you weight 100lbs you will get about a dozen days a year with a 5.7 and 85l board in Maine. And most of it will be in cold air and water...
bates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so winds are generally lighter i weigh 155. Its just all I own right now, I cant really afford to have any more boards. I can get that kit going in about 16-18 kts.
fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always been a spring and fall thing. There used to be more days in that wind range, usually involving nor'easters and hurricane remnants. But winds and those occurrences have tapered off significantly the last 3 years. This April has been a total dud. We're due...

There is allot of good sailing for every wind direction on Saco Bay, from Pine Point to Hills Beach. Definitely worth the drive from Lewiston for a solid forecast. And you won't be sailing alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: