myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maine Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAM1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: maine sailing Reply with quote

i'm in the process of relocating to southern maine from NJ. My new digs are in north berwick, not very far from Saco bay and other areas. i'm wondering if there is any seabreeze thermal effect there. setup seems good, cold water and warm land masses in the summer. i imagine there are issues with parking and crowds. be looking forward to checking it out. whats the quality of the i-windsurf forecasting for southern maine?

andy
fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seabreezes are light during the summer. They can be potent all spring, but sometimes will compete with prevailing wind and screw things up.

A crowded beach is only an issue if your kiting. The beach is usually vacant when it is windsurfable.

i-windsurf has only provided computer generated forecasts for S Maine, usually inaccurate on a local level. The forecast for the Mass north shore is sometimes relevant.

This is the best tool I have found http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/loop.etanesfct.html very accurate for 12 hours out.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did live in Biddeford Pool, near Pine Point, you won't get much time on a small board in Maine.

I sail on Meddybemps Lake, near Calais/Eastport , we have a cabin there.

I keep a 155L Formula board there and use a 7.0 most of the time, in a week I will get a few good days. A shorty is in order still in August, ocean wetsuit all the time

Hopefully someone in addition to those that already, have will step up to help you, back bay in Portland used to have some activity, if I lived in Lewiston I would explore those areas that are due east on the coast.

The only shop I know is in AUBURN its Windsurfing Maine ,207 784.7300
and a great resource would be the NEW England Windsurfing Journal
newjournal@aol.com editor is Peter.

I would move to Maine tomorrow but the wife won't go...yea I know Twisted Evil

maybe see ya on the water ! Mr. Green

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windusrfing in Maine is weak..come to New Hampshiore coast where the Real men sail ; )

Fox hound what is up? I ahve been playign with the kites down here 33 days in this season. whats the rport from up there?
fox

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still rather sail a little, than kite allot...
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhh, your just getting cranky in your age ; ) been kiting so much havent had time to ride my bike much, 6 road rides is all i got so far. built up a single speed road bike pretty sweet thang.

give me a shout if you ever head down this way to mtb..thursday evenings we have a pretty hammer head group that rides out of exeter..you been getting out much?
JFred

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to your kite site yo poser! Evil or Very Mad
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, If I really wanted to be a kook I would buy one of them stand up paddle board things.

can we talk about those on this forum? or is that forum www.tootiredtopaddlewithmyarms.com Razz
fox

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ruffus is no poser (kook yes). I'm still trying to make an Essex as sweet as his! When the winds light, I ride, and that's been allot lately. I bought that land in Pawtuckaway I mentioned, so sailing the NH seacoast and riding Exeter is in my future.
Barnett

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou, one of the first places I windsurfed was Biddeford Pool, on an old heavy tank with a centerboard in the early 90s. Beautiful spot. Stayed at John Oddi's place, and I remember a sweet little restaurant overlooking the pond with outdoor seating that made some of the best apple pie I ever ate. Talk about a long muddy walk at low tide!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: