myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Spring Shark Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Spring Shark Season Reply with quote

From the Shark Research Committe website:

"Huntington Beach - On March 7, 2008 Thomas Larkin was surfing with two friends. He recounted the following; “I was surfing a 6’6” Avisco (carbon fiber) Surf Prescriptions Bat Tail Quad. I paddled out at Dog Beach near Huntington Cliffs around 7:10 in the morning at a pretty full high tide. Dog Beach is located in a stretch of Huntington City Beach between Seapoint Street and Golden West Street. I was meeting two friends there, Matt Donoghue and Craig Angel. The current was moving around a lot of water, and both of them were on longboards, so about 20 minutes into the surf I was tired of paddling over to them on my shortboard, and was surfing pretty much alone. There were two bodyboarders about 100 yards north of me, and I was almost due west of the ramp walkway. At about 8:00 AM, I caught my best wave of the session, and even though Matt and Craig had already gotten out, I wanted one more. I paddled back out and was sitting in the lineup alone, with the closest surfers about 200 yards south, and the bodyboarders were inside and north. I was waiting for a set for about 5 minutes when I felt a jolt down on the tail of my board, immediately followed by violent bubble cascade, which sunk the board down about another 8 inches. I didn’t really get what was going on as quickly as I should have, but as soon as it begun it had ended and I was apparently alone again. A wave popped up, I paddled into it but pearled because of the water in the nose of my board, I quickly got back on and paddled into the whitewater of the next wave and boogie boarded it to the beach where I emptied the board through the apparent bite mark." The diameter of the bite suggests an adult White Shark in excess of 15 feet in length. "

Can anyone tell me why white sharks are a protected species?
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a conspiracy against Republicans.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, can anyone shed further light on urine vs blood in the water? One Hawaiian shark expert told me urine attract sharks at least as strongly as blood does, but a Hawaiian dive shop told me they don't think twice about taking a leak underwater. So what do you salt water sailors think .... Do ya feel lucky?

\m/
markpaine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Shark Season Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Can anyone tell me why white sharks are a protected species?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I didn't realize they were...

http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/SpeciesReport.do
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/esa/
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/species/esa_table.pdf

-Mark
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In 1992, the white shark was placed on the protected species list for the state of California, and is legally protected from unlawful killing or exploitation. The original bill was supported by both scientists and fishing organizations, surfing clubs and diving groups, private citizens and an array of government organizations. With your support and respect, we can continue to live with this complex and misunderstood animal."

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/Doug/shark.html

Any questions?
markpaine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Any questions?

Nope. Good info. Thanks for correcting me. I wasn't trying to be a dick, just trying to keep the facts straight.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Shark Week Reply with quote

SHARKS!

Oh my...they're everywhere.

Rolling Eyes

jp5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharks at Coyote Pt. ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: