myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Still HIGH BACTERIAL COUNTS AT LEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rowena for your clarifications about alcohol at California State Parks, but I should point out that the Park Rangers are still quite focused overall. And very importantly, the mention of "no glass allowed" on the beach warrants suitable merit too. None of us wants to encounter sharp glass in our efforts at the beach.
rowena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SW! How's SB? Since JP has declined the invitation, and I know how politically aware you are, perhaps you're motivated to open a can of worms...I mean, begin a political thread... Although since I haven't visited this forum in six months or so, perhaps, like JP, everyone is weary of it all, and has already beaten the Hillary, McCain or Obama horse to death, as well as... bird pollution, global warming, $4.50 a gallon for gas, the mysteriously missing Iraqi oil reserves that were supposed to pay for the war. You know, that stuff.

Is the L.A. Times still publishing your letters?

Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rowena,

Seems like there's been some deletions here.

Nevertheless, I always appreciate some spirited discussion about politics, but I question running up against an "off the top" ideolog like mulholland here.

Really, the thread is about questionable water on the Malibu Coast, and I thought "Zuma Jay" might be a character that Malibu might find some synergy with, since he's already aware of water quality issues.

As you probably know, I'm living in SB, so my practical impact on the Malibu area is arguable at best. Even though my role might be a bit distant, I truly care about what's happening on there, as I like sailing at Leo during the Summer.

Overall though, I like your spunk. No question, you're strong figure from the Left. I'm very glad to hear your thoughts here
rowena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SW,

Well, there are so many issues with Malibu water quality it's hard to know where to begin. All homes are on septic systems, and despite the impression that Malibu is filled with celebrities, probably 6 in 10 of the residents are retired, or not that wealthy, and live in homes that are probably 40 years old, with failing septic systems. The new law in Malibu is that when you have problems with your system, you must replace it. Also when you sell your home, you must replace it. Unfortunately the replacement costs $100,000, and is a self-contained water purification system that the city forces you to maintain using a water purification maintenance company. Per month charges are about $400, I believe, although other Malibu residents probably know the specifics a little better. The city's goal is to improve the water quality, but unfortunately, it will drive a lot of the older people out.

What causes much of the water pollution is failing septic systems and creek runoff, fertilizers, etc., all the stuff that also makes Santa Monica Bay polluted. Horse poop is a big problem in Malibu, and it all drains to the sea. Apparently one problem behind Leo is that workers live in the canyon, and bathe there and use it as their bathroom, and when it rains, all that comes down the canyon. There is an F at Leo always after it rains.

Surfrider Beach is always an F, because of the pollution in Malibu Canyon. There is a water treatment plant up there, but it apparently leaks. At one point there was an attempt to put in a big development at the head of Malibu Canyon, and luckily it was denied. The pollution would have been even worse at Surfrider.

I'm sure there are lots of people that know more than I do about this stuff. I'll bet Steve Bard knows a lot. One reason I'll vote for Zuma Jay is that he is against 10,000 square foot homes in Malibu. Of course, we have no business revenue to speak of in Malibu, so we have few resources to pay for water clean-up, etc.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowena wrote:

Apparently one problem behind Leo is that workers live in the canyon, and bathe there and use it as their bathroom, and when it rains, all that comes down the canyon. There is an F at Leo always after it rains.

I'd heard about that situation before but didn't know how true it was. Dith-picable and dith-guth-ting. Much worth than bird dropping-th, if I do thay tho mythelf (My beth'd Daffy Duck .) Rolling Eyes
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to sue LA Cunty.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited due to disappearing reference post.

Last edited by theq on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
potto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo this morning had low winds, cool air, and pumping surf. Took one over the chest to make it out. Fishing sucked. The wind never picked up to the 10-15 knots the weather man said they would. It probably maxed out at 3 knots, really it was beautiful out there. Off the water at 11:30.

Talked to a bunch of divers and they said the visibility was about nill. This made sense to me. Anything less than 40 feet depth had a brown, green, murky water. Diarrhea. I forgot to ask him why he chose to go out when the grade level was low. I think county line will have better conditions.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Wierdest thread ever!!! Reply with quote

First, a big hats off to Mr Potto [cool moniker by the way, is it 420]! I have been tempted to bring my woodworking tools down one morning and do a number on those stairs. How about a volunteer public works day?Waiting for the state to fix them may take til the next Ice Age. Besides, our good conservative[???] republican governor wants to use the recent winfall of gas tax to fix the budget which our fine state legislature [read democrat] continues to F---K- up! But knowing the rectal-cranial inverted maintenance schedule at Leo, we'd probably all be arrested for not having a permit, vandalism, assault with a sander,etc. Oh well, I'm certain that my fantasy of a nicely maintained grass rigging area is a low priority to Arnold . One can dream... PS NP, my Naish Hybrids are smaller than your ginormous JP Wave board, so there!!! PS2, I think Theq would make a fine barkeep at the new Leo Waitin' For the Wind Bar and Grill! Medication time, Bull
theq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
I am going to sue LA Cunty.

I'm gonna sue every-frickin' body, and every part of their frickin' bodies!!!

Now, is anyone up for an early sail, like 7:00 AM?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: