myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Returning Windsurfer Needs Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphabet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Returning Windsurfer Needs Advice Reply with quote

Hello All,

Once upon a day I was a young shredder who lived for windsurfing. Mostly this meant on-shore wave sailing around Cape Cod Mass, but also included bump and jump in the SF Bay area, wave sailing at Waddell, wave sailing off the East Coast of Florida and parts of a bunch of summers in the Gorge.

Well that was almost 15 years ago I now live in San Francisco and I'm looking to get back into to the sport and really need some advice in terms of but have very little idea where to start in terms of how equipment and sailing technique has evolved.

To give you an idea of where I was as a windsurfer:
Mostly I loved wavesailing and was more into what I could do on the the wave than in the air. In non-wave locations I got my kicks from doing what are probably old school moves such as jump jibes, duck jibes, helli tacks, clew first sailing etc. I always thought that I was kindo of weak in the air but did manage to land a hand full of loops before my retirement from the sport in ~1995. Ultimately I was a wave / freestyle sailor. Although I use the term freestyle with trepidation because it seems like the new freestyle equipment (and moves) is an entirely different animal that has evolved way way way beyond me.

To start out I am intending on purchasing a rental package from Boardports in Coyote Point. They have Naish 78 and 85 liter wave boards that seem like good options. They are also going to have a quattro and Starboard Kombat. I think this is a good start.

Any other advice regarding boards, sails, technique, and suggestion for venues for me to try as much of the new equipment as possible before making a purchase will be great.

Thanks Much in Advance,
Alex
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the Hood River scene isn't like you remember it, the Gorge wind and water haven't changed, and there are still tons of new and used and rental and demo gear growing on trees here. If the Bay Area has anything comparable, no need to travel. Beyond that, gear selection is so highly personal that I suggest you put some time on a variety of gear to better define your needs and preferences, then get more serious about buying. Or if you don't mind popping a few grand on gear you may not like and dumping it at half price, you can certainly do that, too. Unless you're in that brier patch, check out the swap meets and dealer closeouts; I doubt you could perceive the performance difference between 2007 gear and 2008 gear, but the price difference would be very significant until Labor Day.

Of course, anyone who can afford to live in San Francisco isn't concerned about that. '-)

\m/
wooot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect things haven't changed as much as you think.... The gear is just a lot better. probobly changed less in the wave stuff than anywhere else.
boards are shorter and wider though, on the wave end they will prob be an inch wider or so than what you remember, and more than 6 inches shorter.. mast tracks have moved back, and you need shorter fins because of this..... plus the improvements in sails which are way more rangey.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track.

It's like riding freakin' bike.. 3 reaches and it will all come back.. I don't think you really need too much advice.
you might look into some of the "freestyle wave" boards as a good starting point though. they may very well turn better, plane faster, and be faster overall than anything you remember, and still rip waves...... this would be a perfect board as the larger of 2 boards (especially in the 85 ltr range) for everything including waves and flat water, for sails 4.2 to 5.7ish... then you could figure out what you wanted as a small wave board
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to windsurfing! Everything might feel weird at first, and you'll probably catapult, but stick with it. You'll be better than me again in no time. heehee.
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get back on the board and shred it up! happy sailing!
_____________________________________________________________Windsurfing NJ a Windsurfing Website for Windsurfer and Windsurfing
jp5

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jump jibes??? Heli-tacks????

How do you get to be so good and then just quit??? Shocked

yeah, I know. Got married, had kids, career, yada yada yada... Confused

Glad you finally came to your senses. Welcome back sailor! Surprised
repooc99

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Try Kiteboarding! Reply with quote

It's more fun and less gear than windsurfing. Your expertise in sailing will speed you to a better experience on a kite! I windsurfed for 25 years and I just sold all of my light wind gear at the swap. I'm kiting in all winds, but I feel safest in light wind.

Kiteboarding is great for the light wind conditions that require huge sheet sails and big heavy boards.

Just my O! Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why won't our local Gorge kiters go out until it's blowing at least 5.2? Sorta defeats THAT argument for kiting, seems to me. .

\m/
repooc99

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Well, Iso, I'm not arguing, but Reply with quote

When I started Kiteboarding a couple of years ago I was still very much a light wind, windsurfer. I would rig up a 6.9 on a 9'6" seatrend and rip it up hard like at 3 mile. You been there lately?
My arguement doesn't include the bucks who are ripping it up at the spit, rather the, shall we say, finely aged folks, including myself, 43 who have made the switch to kites.
I still windsurf in 3.5 and 4 conditions where I don't have a lauch for my kite. But, and thats a big butt, when I can get the kite in the air on a light wind day I'm much happier than rigging the big board and kite. Very Happy
ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good--another kite vs windsurf thread!

Do what you like, and like what you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: