myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River Marina still full of sand?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Hood River Marina still full of sand? Reply with quote

Can anyone clue me in on the Hood River Marina? We have kids and it has been a great spot in the past until the floods of last year. Has the sand bar changed?

Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Google Earth, but I don't know how to determine the dates of their data.

Anybody?

\m/
mik377

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: sandy Reply with quote

sandy

sandbar.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.42 KB
 Viewed:  15010 Time(s)

sandbar.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! Shows to go ya that technology is not always the easy way.

Brings back memories of yet another reason I don't kite: if ya look REEEEAL close, you can almost see all the furrows plowed across the sandbar by beginning kiters' noses.

\m/
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working closely with the Port on another project and asked Linda Hull the Operations Manager about the spit. She says that dredging was scheduled for the winter but it didn't happen due to budget constraints. They had planned on dredging out a large swath of the delta (at least the part that is owned by the Port) to clear a path to Nicholson boat launch and the Event Site. Dredging has to take place during the winter before February 28th due to government regulations that protect salmon runs. Dirty water from dredging effects salmon spawning so if its to happen, it might happen next winter but until then keep checking the sailworks cam for daily updates!
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I heard is that dredging was postponed until an enviromental impact assesment could be done, so its going to be at least another year before anything happens.

The marina launch is completey filled in. If you're going to sail in the area of the Event Site be VERY cautious of where the shallow parts are as the sand is constantly moving. Before the big flood, I witnessed a woman launch from the middle marina beach, and do a huge endo when her fin caught in 6 inches of water. We also heard two seasons back that someone was paralyzed at the same spot, when the same thing happened. The Event Site is still a go, but it is shallow in front of the east half of the beach. You need to launch right beside the west rock jetty. Be careful coming back in as the water gets shallow far out from the sandbar.

Kiting is allowed at the Event Site right now, apparently until the end of April. Last summer we only sailed there a couple of times, as it was getting very congested with all the kites and windsurfers almost on top of each other. They are building a new waterfront park between the Hook and the Event Site, but I've heard conflicting reports about access for windsurfers.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that the new park will having windsurfer access since the settlement money from Dougs went into it. Regarding kiting at the Event Site, you guys should be aware that there has been a lot of discussion on line amongst kiters about getting year round access to Event Site to launch. Somehow the vision of beginner kiters and windsurfers launching from the same location is not a pretty one and it looked like chaos there last July.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capicella wrote:
Regarding kiting at the Event Site, you guys should be aware that there has been a lot of discussion on line amongst kiters about getting year round access to Event Site to launch.

Nah, they've been talking about that ever since the glacial dam broke and left all that sand in front of the Event Site. The CGKA has a pretty minimal membership, and there are some windsurfing heavy weights with a lot of pull that will have a lot to say/influence about kiter access at the Event Site. I think that what some of the kiters fail to realize is that there were a number of individuals who put in a lot of their own time & effort, and even money from what I've heard, to develop the Event Site as a windsurf launch. It gets used quite a bit for race events, so I just don't see it opening back up to kiting. There just isn't enough room to do it safely, and the last time it was open to kiting, things didn't go too well.

I'm not that concerned, because for me its one of my least favorite places to sail. There are just a lot of other launch sites where the wind is better IMHO. But I agree, last July there were days there that looked just chaotic, but some of that is just too many windsurfers at a single spot, never mind the kiters.
jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is windsurf parking and launching permitted from kite beach? Just curious.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi wrote:
Is windsurf parking and launching permitted from kite beach? Just curious.

It wasn't last year... there was a big sign, and it should still be there, that designated the Sand Bar as a "no windsurf" zone. Now, I have no love for kiters, having become enbittered by just one too many idiot kiters on the water, but the reality is that most of them are pretty good about windsurfers. I have to say that ever since the "no windsurf" rule went into effect for the sandbar, the kiters have been pretty mellow about the numerous newbies that wind up on the sandbar and walk their gear back to the Event Site. I watched a kiter who was obviously having issues drift into the Event Site (kite on the water) get a very nasty reception. I told the windsurfer to chill, helped the kiter get his gear in, and then me and my buddy drove him back to the spit.

I've just had some weird stuff go on. Kiters coming super close to me when I'm slogging... like 2ft away... yelling "get a kite board!". Had a kiter just kite up to me when I was just minding my own business and give me the finger for no reason whatsoever... another guy jump over me at the Event Site, then crashed, and I had to maneuver around him... I yelled at him that he was in the "no kite zone" and he just responded with physical threats... all kind of sad in a way. There just seems to be a core group of kiters with a huge chip on their shoulders towards windsurfers... but... it doesn't seem to exist at Roosevelt. Sailing there the kiters were really nice and everyone shared the beach and water respectfully. Keeping it real & honest, there's probably just as much ego if not more from some of the windsurfing crowd at the Event Site as much as the kiters. Its a very strange mix... people think only "newbies" sail there, but there's some really good sailors that frequent that site.

You wouldn't want to launch from the kite beach.. its a hell of a long walk, and then shallow water and you're in kite central. You know, Bingen is pretty nice.. tons of room and no one seems to go there... don't know why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: