myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tomales Bay 3/30/08
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Tomales Bay 3/30/08 Reply with quote

How many of you managed to visit Tomales Bay this weekend??? That was the most crowded I've ever seen it. Normally 8 - 10 cars is busy, but on Sunday there was over 25 cars there.

Despite the low tide (and long walk) I don't think anybody complained about lack of wind. I sailed around 1pm and was on a 75l board with a 4.2 sail and was getting pushed a bit in the gusts. It seemed everybody was on low 4's and below and most were getting worked by the wind (sensor shows low 30's and normally it reads a bit low). The wind was picking up when I left around 3:30....

But boy was that a cold wind. I heard lots of complaints about the windsurfer's hands being too cold! Not from the water (it seemed warmer than the air)!

What a change from 2 weeks ago in Margarita. Warm water and warm air.....
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Coast, South of Bodega was howling.

Got blown off the water at 210 lbs, 5.0 on 91 litre. Should have been on 4.5/84 litre.

Swell was mostly all wind generated and next to no ground showing. Hard to hold on with numb hands, ended up spending a few minutes in my board bag.

Another sailor rigged down and wind lightened up a bit at 5.30pm. Tide was pretty low when we went out at 2 ish, getting in was a beast.

Good to have been in the water.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34-40 when I got out of the water with a broken boom head and cold toes. then I had to walk a few hundred yards to my car, AND I LOVED IT!

Boggsman
jse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I live in Fairfax, I was (and usually am) the first one there. Well, technically not. One other car when I arrived - a senior couple stopping so the old man could take a leak. He said something like "beautiful spot, no?". I said "Yep" and muttered under my breath "If you only knew."

That worked out nice as I had a couple of hours on my 5.0, then 4.5 - while it was still ebbing - of some (relatively) mellow sailing. Then it was down to 4.0 and a 75 liter board for the rest of the day. Afterwards we sat on the bluff eating sushi, playing guitar and drinking beer. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun.

If you think it was cold, it was way cold in the morning. I had the sensation of someone going over my fingers with a ball peen hammer after my first session. But (this is true) if you come in and thaw them out, then go right back out you don't feel the cold anymore. More than that I felt my core being cold for the rest of the day.

Steve
pshaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: For warm hands, try Playtex gloves Reply with quote

Tomales was great last Sunday. I was on my 4.2 and my 8'4" glass board and had a ball. To keep my fingers from freezing off and hurting like hell, I wore black Playtex gloves. They don't keep the water out but do keep the wind from chilling your bones. Because they are so thin, I don't find it difficult to hold the boom. Try it out. They are cheap enough. Another thing: to keep your feet warm try using the neoprene "socks" that boogie boarders use under their swim fins. They are very thin, have no sole, and do not require any readjustment of your foot straps. I prefer to sail barefoot except when the wind is so cold, as it was at Tomales. You do need to have some sandals to wear over the "socks" down to the water since they do not hold up to sharp surfaces like rocks, glass, etc.
benpfree1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out at Coyote Point. It was very gusty off and on inside, then very strong gusty outside. I think there were gusts to 32 while I was out. I was on a 4.7 and got bashed around pretty well, could have used a 4.2.
Anyway, anyone take pics they can post of Tomales from Sunday?
thanks
Ben
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Glad to hear you finally made it. I think a lot of Crissy folks made the pilgrimage up there and a few turned around and came back since they didn't have small enough gear. I was on my way up there and stopped by Crissy and it was blowing so I stayed local. Lots of fun but not as windy or cold but I am still thawing out.

Chris
insh8bl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day!

Early afternoon I was on a 4.6 and 68 liter board, 19.7 cm fin and I am about 170 lbs for the first two hours. Went with a 4.2 for the second two hour sesh, the first hour I was spot on for sail size but could have used a 3.6 for the last hour. A nice section of swell set up mid reach and another about 3/4 of the way over, great for port ramps for jumps, even during a flood. Got of the H2O about six, by then most folks had packed up or gone home. Can't wait for another ripping NW there.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend managed to take some pictures (despite being blown all over the place in the cold wind), but most of them are of me Very Happy Here is one that includes others Smile

Sorry, this picture has been deleted....

Last edited by johnl on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sorry for the HUGE pictures. It was orignally a 10 megapixel pictures that I reduced by over 1/3. I guess it needed to be reduced further.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: