myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Maps and Graphs - Limited Beta
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> WeatherFlow Labs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: New Maps and Graphs - Limited Beta Reply with quote

Announcing a limited beta test of our new maps and graphs system:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1088

This new system should look much the same as our current system with familiar maps, graphs and forecasts (meteograms). But it's designed for very easy creation of new regions with lots of wind reports and the ability to generate forecasts for any point on the earth.

As soon as we work out the kinks (we are timezone-challenged) we will expand the beta test to include lots of regions we don't currently cover. Your feedback is much appreciated during this phase!

Thanks,

iWindsurf team
vims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the tidewater virginia region...

I'm glad to see the York River Coast Guard Station and East Rear Range Light sensors included in the new version. That fills in a big gap between Gloucester Point and New Point Comfort.
vims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way to look past the current day in the new "model tables" forecast.
david

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback! Actually, the time navigation is still there, but it's zipped up under the "customize" tab. We added the tabs in an attempt to reduce clutter, but it doesn't work perfectly. Specifically, we realized putting the time drop-down under "customize" doesn't make a lot of sense, so we're probably going to pull it back out of the tab soon. We also plan to add the little "play" "pause" "forward" "back" controls back in there.
Shirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please include Berkley and Treasure Island in the SF south map as it was in the old map. Many of us in Bay Area, usually check all the sites and make decision on where to go. Right now we have to go back and forth between SF south and north , or look at the SF map which looks extremely crowded. Thanks
djcovarrubias2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The global wind data is sooo awesome! I travel to Chile a lot-- born there, parents still live there-- and every time I go sailing there it feels like a crap shoot to make the 3 hr drive to the beach. I can't tell you how hard I searched the net for the sort of info you've just added to your website. Now I can use the same technology I use at the Gorge when I sail at Matanzas! How cool is that?

Thanks again,

Diego Covarrubias
Portland, OR, USA
SWE106

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, somebody must have put a lot of time and effort in compiling all these data. I always like to check out the wind in my home countries: sweden and holland, and now i don't need to surf to 10 different websites anymore! keep up the good work! when are you going to set up windsensors in each country?

I can hook you up with some realtime windsensor data from beaches around south sweden, that give the same data as iwindsurf's sensors. Let me know if you're interested: soulsurferusa@yahoo.com

aloha,
arnie
ssoule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of work, but my jet plane in in the repair shop... so I don't go to europe to sail much anymore!!
david

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback!

Arnie, we're not going to set up our own wind sensors in sweden any time soon, but we're always interested in other sources of data - someone will contact you soon.

Shirin, that's a great suggestion - consider it done. In fact, that's exactly the sort of feedback we're looking for:

1. region boundaries not quite right
2. missing regions (not zoomed in or out enough)
3. missing wind data
4. missing forecast only spots (we can generate forecasts for any point on the planet
5. poorly named locations or regions

Thanks - keep it coming!
ccyne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New beta is cool. Will be even better when all the features such as myIW are incorporated. In the Tidewater area the coverage is now excellent especially if the First Colony station comes back up. If It doesn't there is another "public access" sensor located on a buoy in the James River at Jamestown that could replace it. The link is below.
http://www.buoybay.org/site/public/data/status.php
Thanks for the free full trial in conjunction with the Beta test. I typically use the free version because in the past there were stations not covered in your system that I could get from other sites on the web or mobile phone for no cost. In the beta a good bit of those sites are covered now. I am still torn on the cost to value aspect of a subscription. It might be worth your while to poll your current subscribers and free users to find out specifically what they feel the value of your current subscription service is.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> WeatherFlow Labs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: