myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BEWARE OF POSSIBLE INTERNET FRAUD/SCAM HERE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: BEWARE OF POSSIBLE INTERNET FRAUD/SCAM HERE Reply with quote

I recently placed an ad here to sell windsurf equipment. Within 12 hours, I received an e-mail from someone with a yahoo adress making the following inquiries:

1. Can their chosen shipping Co. pick up from my house?
2. Can they send me a money order/cashier's check which may be more than my asking price so as to be sure to cover the shipping costs?
3. CAN I, ON THE SAME DAY THAT I RECEIVE THE MONEY ORDER OR CASHIER'S CHECK, SEND BACK, VIA WESTERN UNION, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE AMOUNT OF THE MONEY ORDER AND THE COST OF THE SHIPPING?

HA!

Smells like the Nigerian scam I read/heard about: They send you a bogus money order, which you deposit in the bank. 7-10 days later, you find out from your bank that it's bogus, but by then (based on the scam artist's demand) you have sent the western union payment for the "difference" which cannot be reversed.

I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE THAT I WAS APPROACHED BY SUCH A SCAM WITHIN HOURS OF PLACING AN AD ON THE IWINDSURF FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am curious if anybody else has been approached this way in response to an ad they placed here!
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, got the exact same thing. I had to re-read the message to see it was legimate, but it never addresses what you are selling by name or description, just a generic form letter. I advised Iwindsurf, but there isn't anything they can do about it.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is the norm for internet classifieds. It's a, perhaps the, major source of income for Nigerians and Nigeria. We windsurf, they scam. It shouldn't surprise anyone.

\m/
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a newbie to SELLING stuff on the internet and have only purchased from reputable established companies and never from private parties, so I'm not "used to" what is allegedly the "norm" now on the internet.
gahedlund

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have had more scam inquiries (2) than real inquiries (1) for the equipment I posted on iwindsurf. Shocked
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get these all the time when I post an ad on Recycler.com and have never gotten one from a posting on Craigs list. Never had any problems with Ebay either.
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP,
Me too - good thing they are too convoluted to pay any attention to. I bet this thread goes pages and pages with similarly rec'd responses to ads.
JO
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or not ... it's been discussed often and at length before.

\m/
allen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the only thing more tedious than the scam is the subsequent postings about the scam.........Although I do like those new ones coming thru my email about how there's someone in Europe looking for me to do them a favor and take a couple million $ off their hands..........
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they usually go something like this;

Greetings;
My name is Mr. Smith and I am very interested in your [sporting goods item]. If you still have it for sale please tell me your last price and I will pay you by certified bank check. I am in the Uk but do not worry about the shipping as I will arrange for that and pay for it in the certified check. Kindly refund the difference to me as soon as you ship the [sporting goods item].

Thank you most kindly;

Mr. Smith.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: