myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ever see anything like this?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Ever see anything like this? Reply with quote

A bird in the jaw.....

I saw a similar situation when I was atop the rock at Big Point Dume last year. A shark was boiling underneath a bunch of birds that were on the surface. It was only about 50 yds. off the beach. There were people swimming inside, joyfully kicking away, making all sorts of "come get me" racket.

white-shark-seagullsb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.68 KB
 Viewed:  21521 Time(s)

white-shark-seagullsb.jpg

nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark must be pretty desperate if going after birds. Doesn't bode well for us, does it.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
Shark must be pretty desperate if going after birds. Doesn't bode well for us, does it.

No worries. Wink I think that Whitey likes things that taste like chicken better than the taste of "long pig". At least that's what I like to tell myself.

If you wanna be a bird, try a little flyin, no denyin', it makes you high. Why fret when you've got wings you haven't used ye-eyet, don't wait for heaven, get out and fly. (From Easy Rider '69) Remember Jack Nicholson on the back of the chopper, in the football helmet, flapping his arms like a bird? Those were the good old days. Rooooooooolllll....another one......
victor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen sharks going after birds at the mouth of a big river in south america. the sharks were a smaller species.

there were flocks of birds trying to grab stuff on top with a school of sharks following them just under the surface. you could see their dorsal fins. every once in awhile one of the sharks would lunge out of the water at a bird. i didn't see any successful lunges but htey kept trying as long as i was there.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and I hope I never do.
kitemarekook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a 15-20 foot great white at Leo yesterday.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitemarekook wrote:
I saw a 15-20 foot great white at Leo yesterday.

That must've been the one of the babies of the one I saw the day before.
Boy, I sure like the relative safety of having 85L plus of board to crawl up onto, and perhaps dissuade Whitey from a sampling. It's nice to have something (kiteboard?) bigger than the size of those little styrofoam paddleboards that kids learn to swim with. If I had one of those, I'd feel like a smoked oyster on a cracker. Razz
theq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
i've seen sharks going after birds at the mouth of a big river in south america. the sharks were a smaller species.

there were flocks of birds trying to grab stuff on top with a school of sharks following them just under the surface. you could see their dorsal fins. every once in awhile one of the sharks would lunge out of the water at a bird. i didn't see any successful lunges but htey kept trying as long as i was there.

Your description is very much like what I observed at Pt. Dume last year.
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya bro, good joke, try a deadly contamination or something to keep people away. I mean your in LA say that the water was melting your wetsuit, or there was so much toxic waste that your foot will never grow back. The guys in the delta had that whole algae bloom...now that was creativity.

I mean really--have you ever seen a fish from the san pedro channel? they have like 6 eyes, 3 tails, and no mouth. So even guys wearing helmets and lifejackets don't need to worry. Leo is about as safe as you can get...all except those flesh eating shrimp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: