myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined Boom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Streamlined Boom Reply with quote

After my second HPL boom head imploded at Tomales last Sunday, I decided to take action and bought a Streamlined boom head. WOW, what a dream. No creaking or squeaking, easy to attach to mast, and absolutely bulletproof. Everybody should own one! I dont work for the company.

Boggsman

...and the extensions are the best also.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulletproof but not idiot proof.

if you make sure everything is fastened right and tight there is no problem.

my downhaul came loose from the cleat while i was sailing a couple of times before i learned to check everything carefully before going out.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic,
Go buy the white line, its thinner, and stays in the cleat better.
Boggsman
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. My HPL race boom came with the Sreamline head and I hated it. I replaced it with the Mauisails head and gave the Streamline away to a buddy. I just bought a new HPL and didn't even try the new head, just replaced it with a MS boom head .

Coachg
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Dave Dominy's clamp-on. A setback is that they are designed for Dave's wide diameter booms.

I found that they can be made to fit superbly on Hawaii Windsurfing and other booms with continuous loop alum. frontends (not Chinook). Indeed, they give new life to H.W., etc cracked clamp-ons (all those plastic wonders inevitably crack regardless of the manufacturer's ads).

My solution is to enlarge the alum. frontend using 2 f/g+epoxy wraps, to meet the inside diam. of the two pts. the Stream. clamp-on locks onto the boom front end (once plastic stuff is removed).

1. Cut the plastic crap off with a hacksaw, leaving just the alum. bend
2. Cut 2 strips of f/glass cloth about 2" x 24" (10 oz. works well and you can buy it at Home Depot, etc)
3. Wrap each strip around alum. tube at width to center the Streamlined clamp-on on bend (no. of wraps enough to hold S. clamp-on snug -- cut off any excess strip). Mark posn. of each strip on bend.
4. Remove strips.
5. Mix stock 30 min. epoxy (Home Depot, etc) and paint it on strip with small brush as you wind it on again. Make sure f/glass is saturated with epoxy. No need to wrap strips tight, epoxy will keep it solid. Same on both sides. Leave overnight to cure. Sand off any bumps.

I showed a modified busted $5 swap-meet boom to Dave at P.San Carlos and he gave his nod of approval. Works like a champ in the industrial grade waves and is rock solid -- sturdy alum. construction beats all the plastic crap hands down. Much cheaper than a new boom. The mod. needs about an hour and takes less time to do than explain.

Caveat -- make sure you buy an S. clamp-on that fits your mast diam.
south-west

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the streamline boom is hands down THE best boom i have ever used.
eliot10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Boom Reply with quote

Best boom in the market: Maui Sails boom.
rwilde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you people, coach , ever used the Streamlined boom? It is hands down the best boom ever made. Bomb proof light and super stiff. Rich
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm contibuting to the conversation a bit late, but I just had to comment. I have to say without a doubt that the Maui Sails front end is the true benchmark. If only the ease of adujstment to different mast configurations was the deciding factor, the MS front end would win out without a doubt. But, even more than that, the bearing surface area is superior and the ability to attach it is by far the easiest around.

If you're a diehard Streamline supporter without restraint, I will sell you a brand new (never used/or installed product) at 50% of what I payed for it, and I got a very reasonable price. A true value, if you're devoted to the design.

Any takers? I'm serious, send me a PM.
SWE106

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwilde wrote:
Have you people, coach , ever used the Streamlined boom? It is hands down the best boom ever made. Bomb proof light and super stiff. Rich

Right on Rich, but that's even an understatement. Those booms are frikin fantastic indeed: super stiff, super light, super strong, super durable, super easy to use, attach rock solid to your mast (any boom will slip if you don't tighten the head enough, so that's certainly not a streamlined issue), worth every dollar.

As Rich put's it: don't try 'em unless you are 100% prepared to buy 'em. Because try 'em and u'll wanna buy 'em.

And if you doubt their durability... Why do Angulo and Kai use 'em? They certainly ain't no wuss in the waves. I have been rolled seriously in 18-20+ft waves, at waddell, dport, kanaha, etc and they booms don't even have a scratch.

Buying one boom that lasts and lasts and lasts for top-dollar, compared to buying one that only lasts is in the end a much cheaper and much wiser investment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: