myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined Boom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwilde wrote:
Have you people, coach , ever used the Streamlined boom? It is hands down the best boom ever made. Bomb proof light and super stiff. Rich

Yes rwilde, I have used a Streamlined boom quite a few times and I thought it was a nice boom. If you would actually read my post you would see that I said nothing about Streamline booms, only that I did not like the Streamline head that came with my HPL Race boom.

And while I felt the Streamline boom was very good, nothing is bomb proof. My buddy had a brand new Streamline boom break on him in November at Sherman. The boom was right out of the box and broke on his first reach. Thanks to the fisherman for towing him back in with his boat or it would have been a long swim back.

I'm glad you and SWE106 love them as I think they are good booms. But so are my Gulftech, HPL and Mauisails booms. I just feel the the MS front end is the best out there so I have been putting them on all my booms. The MS front end is just solid, easy to attach and hands down the easiest to adjust out on the water.

Coachg
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Coach G,
the great thing about Sherman is that there is no long swim home.
Snap a boom on the other side, just swim through the sludge back to the road.
Boggsman1
lindseyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hot Sails Maui Supermodel is by far the best boom I've used (have not tried the Streamlined yet). It's lighter than the Streamline and the arguably the best shape of any boom on the market for wave sailing-and almost $200 cheaper to boot. Super stiff and I have never heard of one breaking, so durability seems excellent. The head is good but not the equal of the Maui or Streamlined, but Jeffrey Henderson is reportedly upgrading the head if he hasn't already.

What ultimately makes the Supermodel such a great boom is it's unique shape. It has a narrow profile and is more parallel near the head which is a much better angle for an over hand grip on the front hand, especially when wave sailing. The narrowness allows you to pull the rig closer to your chest when needed. Other people are raving about the Supermodel for freestyle and freeride sailing, but for me this is the ultimate wave sailing boom.

http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1481
http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2008/booms.php?sail=supermodel
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hey Coach G,
the great thing about Sherman is that there is no long swim home.
Snap a boom on the other side, just swim through the sludge back to the road.
Boggsman1

Boggsy,
Not with a strong ebb Very Happy

Coachg
lavernegonzales

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Streamlined Boom Reply with quote

I agree with CoachG with the Maui Boom head for long booms. The Streamlined boom, if it breaks, is very easy to turn upside down during an ebb tide. Both booms have been working very well for me. The service, moreover, from both companies is beyond reproach. If you can purchase a used boom from Matt Prichard, it has a jibe guarantee. I made 4 jibes in a row using a Matt Prichard pre-owned 170-230.
radross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that the drawback to the Streamlined boom is it difficult to adjust for different diameter masts. Is that accurate?

My 400 RDM (North Platinum Series) is skinnier than my 430 RDM (Gultech). Depending on which sail I am using I need to slightly adjust my the boom (NeilPryde X-7, quite squeaky) attachment tension when I rig.

Thanks for any input.

Ross.

p.s. I am a really pleased with my Streamline single bolt tendon universal.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawback to Streamline's design is that the strap/clip assemblies aren't very easily adjusted between different sized mast diameters, and any modification requires adjusting both straps to coincide with the mast being used.

On the other hand, the MS front end is instantly adjustable to correspond with different sized mast, both SDM and RDM, but the MS shim is needed for RDMs. It's a bit special in that it's longer than standard, but the extra length of the shim, in combination with the longer bearing area of the MS front end truly eliminates any movement of the boom up or down while in use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: