myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
TODAY IS THE DAY TO SAIL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you poor devils fared at Leo today, but I have to admit to my third 5.0 day in a row up here at Bacara and El Capitan. Being the only one out on all these days, I have to think that I'm getting special treatment. Spring can be specially good for the upper west south coast, whereas spots further south and east just don't seem to be as favorable this time of year.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was lots of fun at County Line. I was perfectly powered on my 6.0 (200 lb) and sailed until my hands couldn't hold the boom any longer - about 1.5 hours Sad
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the wind like at Leo? I feel that the wind at County Line was better than the graph for Leo shows.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Aeolous smiled today!!! Reply with quote

OK, OK!!! A nice big slice of humble pie is on the table for DaBull!!! The dollars were flowing today, so I was stuck working my way to Maui instead of chasing Mr Bard and Whitey out of the Marina. Not predicting wind tomorrow but if it happens I think I can escape. Mr SW... keep rubbing our LA noses in all that wonderful wind Club Led and north is getting and we shall invade the channel with large oil derricks... word up from a former Santa Barbarian! Also, did anyone find my beloved red and grey Da Kine XT harness at Leo? Worth a margarita or two! Aloha Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I think I have a brand new xt harness I'd love to sell. xl red and black, with tags still on it.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Steve! Bring it with you and maybe we'll add it to the collection! Bull
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
theq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: FUN SESSION AT LEO - BUT DON'T SWALLOW THE WATER Reply with quote

mkrasnoff wrote:

It filled in nice on the outside once theQ opted for county and took his wind skunkie juju with him Wink Laughing
Mitch

Yup, the guys, and one brave female type person, at County, were happy that theQ brought his "juju" with him. The consensus was that it had to be his new classic blood red Shocked O'Neill surf booties that prompted the wind gods to kick it up a notch.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pixit,

El Capitan was really strong on Monday, but the wind direction is a bit sideoff, as the best winds there downslope coming out of the NW. Often El Cap goes too offshore, and it can do that very quickly, so it can sometimes be quite fussy and difficult. When sailing there it's important to walk westward maybe 50 yards past the bathrooms. You don't want to come in at the point where the large rocks start, because the offshore nature of the wind can tend to force you to come in towards that area. It's best to play it safe and stay high, even as far as the stair leading up to the Lifeguard Tower above on the bluff.

Bacara (classically named Haskills) is right next to the Bacara Resort, a real upscale and expensive hotel complex. Also, the Sandpiper Golf Course is very close above on the cliffs to the east. To get there off the 101, it's the Winchester exit coming northbound, or the Hollister exit going southbound. These are the most westerly exits in the city of Goleta.

To go to the beach at Haskills, you need to turn in at the road leading in to the Sandpiper Golf Course, and drive past it and also the Veneco oil processing facility to the parking lot at the Bacara Tennis Club. This parking lot is the only legal area for visitors to park, but it's free. To get down to the beach you need to walk the path up and over the rise down to the beach. There are awesome grass areas to rig on, and there are bathrooms and outdoor showers right there next to the beach. In my opinion, this spot is arguably one the best beach locations on the South Coast.

The wind tends to be on the onshore side, so the windswell can sometimes make it tough to make it through the surfline. The winds that make the spot really work are frontal related, so the winter/spring timeframe is the name of the game, with spring being the best opportunity. Things can happen outside this framework, but that's more the exception rather than the rule. One thing that's important to keep in mind is that the wind at Leadbetter Beach, which is located adjacent to the Santa Barbara Harbor, has nothing to do with what happens at IV or Bacara/Haskills. Although there can sometimes be wind at Leadbetter, it will usually be WSW or W (too offshore). Often when IV, Bacara or El Capitan are really windy, Leadbetter is blowing very lightly from the east.

It helps greatly to be a local to the area to get the best conditions, because there are no iWindsurf sensors in the Goleta and Gaviota areas. However, wind at the SB Airport can often be referenced. Also, the winds at Point Conception can be a guide to the possibility of good wind. Overall, things are a bit dicey, but very rewarding when things go off.
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FUN SESSION AT LEO - BUT DON'T SWALLOW THE WATER Reply with quote

mkrasnoff wrote:
[
On a side note, I checked the water quality posting and as of 04/09, Leo has a "C" rating for the 30-day grade, but the latest testing says it "does not meet standards" and signs should be posted 100 yards on either side of the creek.
Something hinkie is going on here. Confused

Mitch

Yesterday, (Wednesday) before the wind kicked in, I drove from Leo to North beach to talk to some people, and on the way in through the State Park, I noticed that water covered part of the roadway (where it dips down a bit). It was over ankle deep. That's not a good sign. I don't know where all that water came from, as the creek up the hill looked dry, but there was a lot of dirty, greenish looking sitting water at the bottom under the bridge. This same water was winding its way to the shoreline.

THE REALLY SAD THING IS THAT THERE WAS A BUSLOAD OF CHILDREN WITH THEIR PARENTS PLAYING ALONG THE "LITTLE RIVER" AS IT WAS WINDING ITS WAY TO THE OCEAN. THESE PEOPLE WERE IDIOTS, 'CAUSE THE WATER REALLY DIDN'T LOOK CLEAN AND OBVIOUSLY NONE OF THE PARENTS BOTHERED TO WALK JUST 25 YARDS UP THE LITTLE "RIVER" TO SEE EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF WATER THEIR CHILDREN WERE PLAYING IN. SAD!

I thought about getting out of my car and warning people, but didn't want to frighten them without having solid proof that the water is indeed contaminated...so I just kept driving. I truly hope none of those kids get sick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: