myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella Camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinosoles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Camping Reply with quote

Thinking of making my first Lake Isabella trip in the next few weeks. I had a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer for me ?

1. Where is the best place to camp - ie, Far away from Jetskis - fishing boats with close water access and cross shore winds?

2. Are there any campsites that have shower / bathroom facilites ?

3. Do you suggest getting a permit if im planning on going weekends and if so where do I purchase it ?

4. Do they allow dogs at the campsites ?

5. Any other suggestions - pointers - would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and happy sailing.
pshaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella windsurfing and camping Reply with quote

I assume you read the iWindsurf information:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=128&siteID=204&Isection=Local+Info

See also:
http://thewindmap.com/wiki/index.php/Lake_Isabella_(The_Dam)-North_America

and

http://www.lakeisabella.net/camping/map.htm
*Matt*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the answers are here:

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14335
dtran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can camp by the lake shore. Most windsurfers stay at the Ghetto or Auxillary Dam. The Ghetto is about 1/3 mile past the Auxillary Dam turnoff, at the Old Isabella Road. You drive through the boat ramp parking lot. There are outhouses, but no shower facilities at the Ghetto or Aux Dam.

On the weekend of May 16-18, there is an Ezzy demo. The place will be packed with windsurfers.
noflyzoneallstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend is looking good at the lake, maybe a little chilly.

Aux Dam and the Ghetto are definitely the spots, especially for your first trip. Drive onto the dirt and camp anywhere - inches from the water if you like. Avoid the soft sand if you are in a 2wd vehicle or pulling a trailer. I think dogs are OK. There are primitive bathrooms at both spots, no showers but a big freshwater bathtub.

You can't really avoid the jetski crowd in the summer at the main spots but there are fewer when its cool and the moto crowds on the water thin out a bit when the wind really picks up. Last time I bought a permit it was from the gas station in town.

The weather can make camping a challenge, esp. if you don't have an RV. There is absolutely no shade and I've seen tents literally flattened by the wind and blown into the lake. Actually that was my tent, now I just sleep in the back of my truck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: