myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote point. Almost violent confrontation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good call boggsman, heading out that way too
windwiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is seriously sad. Street fighting, knives (someone even managed to make the juvenile move of bringing the windsurf vs. kitesurf nonsense into it)? Give me a break. You sound like your sitting around a frat house. I can’t believe you are all the same people who I share this amazing sport with; I don't think half of you deserve to be windsurfers, surfers or fishermen for that matter.
What is equally sad is that at this point in time when we are struggling to raise the money to protect Coyote point someone would post a topic warning people about violent confrontation at this launch. I am not saying that you didn't experience what ever the hell happened, but your timing, choice of words and general message is really not what anybody needs to hear right now. We should be encouraging people to get out to Coyote, donate to the sandbagger fund, pay the entrance fee or annual entrance fee and make sure anything to do with Coyote is positive.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
This post is seriously sad. Street fighting, knives (someone even managed to make the juvenile move of bringing the windsurf vs. kitesurf nonsense into it)? Give me a break. You sound like your sitting around a frat house. I can’t believe you are all the same people who I share this amazing sport with; I don't think half of you deserve to be windsurfers, surfers or fishermen for that matter.
What is equally sad is that at this point in time when we are struggling to raise the money to protect Coyote point someone would post a topic warning people about violent confrontation at this launch. I am not saying that you didn't experience what ever the hell happened, but your timing, choice of words and general message is really not what anybody needs to hear right now. We should be encouraging people to get out to Coyote, donate to the sandbagger fund, pay the entrance fee or annual entrance fee and make sure anything to do with Coyote is positive.

...and don't forget flare guns... Razz
windwiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry flare guns AND pepper spray. What fun.
I'm going sailing. See you out there, with out any of those.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget it.

I going to fort point where people are friendly, hospitable and warm at all times. Oh crap, wrong place...

Anyone remember the good old days when the crazy from the stick jumped on the sales guy at the old windsurf warehouse on airport blvd. Crew had to pull him off.

I am off to piss some fisherman off. Oi dickhead move your lines, hey like marriage the best defense is an offense.

Mind you that 90% lead tainted fish looks mighty tasty, hmmm, a little bbq after sailing....
otgmail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:

I like the idea of a marine radio but since I don't where a PFD I'm not sure where I'd keep it. My seat harness only has a small key pocket in the back.

jpbassking, I keep it on my PFD and it seems to work well inside a waterproof pouch. I have seen this setup from a few people in crissy and decided to copy it. I must say generally I love the PFD, but sometimes it can get a little too hot.

There is also these bags that you can attach to your harness if you don't like the PFD.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I think that otgmail and madspanard have got a truly realistic and pragmatic outlook here. You can never guess how crazy someone can be. Believe me, you can be totally surprised how nuts some folks are, and how that might affect their actions. If they just happened to have a gun, it doesn't matter how macho you might want to be. You could be toast in an instant.

Epenrose, you need to chill a bit. Sometimes I've noted that you're not seeing the real picture. You might be a total stud, and want to show that off, but others may not see the scene the same way. I don't think that otgmail acted unreasonably under the circumstances.

Frankly, I don't think any reasonable and responsible person should worry needless about the affecting the policeman's day. Hey, they're being paid to respond to public interests and problems that might affect the practical balance. Really, I hope that most negative circumstances vaporize and vanish without a negative incident. That's really a more positive outcome overall. I'd prefer that troublesome events aren't a major problem that involve life or death outcomes.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I'm wasn't getting Epenrose's attitude either. I normally don't bring job experience into these things, but after being a cop for over 26 years I have a bit of 'insider knowledge'.

A person is acosted and threatened by a person. That in itself is against the law. otgmail uses his head and call the authorities to handle the situation (I think the local police would have been the proper call, not the coast guard, but perhaps they could relay the information). That is what you are SUPPOSED to do. By handling it yourself you have no control over the outcome. You don't know what the other guys problem is, or what his frame of mind is. He could have just killed his family and decided to go down to the beach to clear his head. Do you really want to be the person who pisses him off???? The simple facts are these things happen all the time. People don't get along and the authorities have to come in. It was different a long time ago, but the pressures of modern life tend to bring the worse out of people.....

Oh yeah, I would have LOVED to been able to go down to the beach today but unfortuntely I was stuck there till 7pm babysitting some speaker from a bunch of protestors. And it was blowing over 25 at Berkeley Sad
mtnview

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So I think that speaks volumes about Coyote Point, which I am thinking may not be the best place to windsurf. I certainly will not be going there, more for the safety of my vehicle and a minor concern about having parts of my body cut.

I've been sailing at Coyote for years and it's a very friendly, low-key place, it's even become a family spot in recent years with the new play structure nearby. Judging the site based on one whack-job who stumbled into the area is not fair to the site. Nowhere is immune... Coyote is actually having a little mini-resurgence with a new shop/school on the water bringing in new sailors. The new shop owners are even co-ordinating day care for sailors with kids, so come on down...

- Dave
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you who don't surf won't understand Mr. Epenrose's point of view. I have surfed over 40 years and understand it. Surfers have been punching each other out over waves for years Laughing It happens and usually no one calls the cops over it. Mad The 70's were the worse - tires getting slashed, windshieds busted... Cool

I can tell that you all here are nice, intellegent, considerate people and I have found over the years that by and large windsurfers are a much nicer bunch than surfers. Smile

Having worked for the Sheriff's office I can also tell you that with budget constrains in most areas there are barely enough officers to cover an area. If there is a major incident with multiple units responding, you might not see a cop for a while. Then what are you gonna do? Deal with it. otgmail was lucky that he was still in the water when the guy started to yell at him but what if he was at his car, changing out of his wetsuit? Sometimes there is just no avoiding confrontation and in those times..to quote Mr. Epenrose, the best defense is a good offense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: