myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote point. Almost violent confrontation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otgmail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Coyote point. Almost violent confrontation Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to recap a few things that went on at Coyote today. As I was getting back to shore, at around 25 ft out; a Fisherman on a bike came over and started hurling threats my way. I tried to ignore him, but obviously after 5 minutes of getting yelled, and being told various parts of my body were going to be cut as soon as I landed, I figured this individual was waiting for me to come a shore.

The first thing that came to my mind, was a case of mistaken identity. I had no interaction with this individual but maybe he was mistaking me for another windsurfer.

I remembered a reading on iwindsurf a similar incident between fishermen and windsurfers off Rio Vista and how that went. So I figured maybe earlier this guy had some interaction with a windsurfer then mistook me for his intended target.

I radioed in the Coast Guard and asked them to dispatch police on to the scene which came in about 15 minutes. I did deliver a full description of the individual to the police.

Besides threating to cut off various parts of my body, and that of another windsurfer who was on the scene, I think he was also threating to damage the parked vehicles.

Later that evening when the dust settled and I was picking up my gear. The Coast Guard was busy rescuing a drunk Latino-American off Coyote point. I hope they succeeded, the individual was drunk and slowly drifting away.

So I think that speaks volumes about Coyote Point, which I am thinking may not be the best place to windsurf. I certainly will not be going there, more for the safety of my vehicle and a minor concern about having parts of my body cut.

So a crazy fisherman at Coyote, that makes two including the one on Rio Vista. It does not help that most fisherman do carry large fish cleaning knives, so be careful about "bringing it on" and radio in for help if you do feel threatened.

Gun shots were ringing away, from the firing range nearby giving a nice finishing overture to a day that ended with me, my gear and car all intact.

The radio was the best thing that I invested in..
otgmail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/13/BAQB1052T5.DTL

Looks like the Coast Guard rescued that Latino Gentleman. The very Coast Guard guys I radioed in to save me from the lunatic fisherman went by and coordinated the rescue of this fine drunk-and drifting gentleman who was about .5 km away from me.

I feel good about being a wimp Smile It was not a total waste of taxpayer money after all.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The radio was the best thing that I invested in"

What kind of radio?

Ever think about carrying a small dive knive in your harness just in case the boisterous fisherman decides to carry thru on his threats?
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be something missing from this story.

I work and have sailed Coyote in the week for years.

I had a two hr swim in once and the fisherman threw in a line. If you avoid their lines and be respectful you'll generally never have an issue.

Some can be a bit on the rougher end and a little liquored up on a hot day. I've launched at Embassy and off the rocks at the corner of the point without issue.

Don't trash a place, just because of one drunk. Did you avoid 101 and 280 after last weeks incident? No, these things happen and rare.

Calling the USCG was kind of dumb, I am sure they had other very important things to do.

So the story goes you were just mid channel sailing in, land at shore and a guy goes nuts. Want to fill in the missing parts?
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer a nice Coast Gaurd approved flare gun for such encounters... Bull
aaron1234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you sailng over the guys lines or what? Does not make sence for the guy to just go nuts for no reason. How do you know that the guy swimming was drunk? I don't sail coyote much because I live in the north bay but I've been out there recently and it sems like a pretty kick ass place to sail. I woulden't stop sailing there just because of one idiot. I once had a guy on a 45 foot speed boat try and run me off the water sailing at rio no way that'll stop me from sailiing there. The world is full of dick heads, don't let it stop you from charging.
otgmail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
Seems to be something missing from this story.

I had a two hr swim in once and the fisherman threw in a line. If you avoid their lines and be respectful you'll generally never have an issue.

Some can be a bit on the rougher end and a little liquored up on a hot day. I've launched at Embassy and off the rocks at the corner of the point without issue.

Don't trash a place, just because of one drunk. Did you avoid 101 and 280 after last weeks incident? No, these things happen and rare.

Whoever said anything about the fisherman being drunk?.

It was not the fisherman that was drunk, it was the latino gentleman that was rescued by the coast guard guys I called in. The fisherman was perfectly sober, and was throwing his very specific threats in clear audible English. Seems to me maybe you left some stuff out while reading.

As far as the fisherman goes, No, not really, nothing is missing from the story. This is the whole story, as can be confirmed by eye witness. I was not the only one being threatened and another windsurfer also receieved the full fury.

Quote:

Don't trash a place ..

I also have no intention of trashing Coyote, just sharing what I thought was something people should be aware of when sailing the site. I think it is important to have risk awareness when you are sailing a site, and this is one factor to consider, that's all.

Now, as for avoiding the fisherman and his lines I did not see him on the shore at all, until I came back to the shore, as I said earlier, my guess is that this is a mistaken identity situation. As for respect, I did not even say a word, let alone get into some sort of argument. I just sat there in the water waiting for the guy to leave. There were no fishermen along the part of Coyote the majority of the people were sailing. Nor did I see any fisherman in any part of the day.

Quote:

So the story goes you were just mid channel sailing in, land at shore and a guy goes nuts. Want to fill in the missing parts?

Oh no wait, there is something I left out. !!

The part I left out was, I did my best to assist the Coast Guard in the rescue effort that followed ( I was not a whole lot of help, just trying to help them spot the swimmer). That was the part I left out.

Quote:

Calling the USCG was kind of dumb, I am sure they had other very important things to do.

The Coast guard can and did relay the message to 911 and the police also came who also assisted in the rescue. Had I had a cell phone I would have called the police directly. I am sitting home in one piece due to correct course of action, and I wish the same for you brother as it seems you would have approached the situation rather differently.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otgmail,

I would have done exactly the same you did in your situation.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it nobody surfs here.

The USCG and SFPD would be permanently stationed at OB, Bolinas and Fort Point investigating threats.
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really had to call the police...I'm sure a mast base or top section to the jaw would have knocked him on his ass. Shit then you could have gotten a new fishing pole and that guy would be whining about not going back. Problem solved.

I had a kiter try to call the cops on me after i strongly encouraged him to get out of the water, but he learned quick that its hard to kite when your lines get cut...don't call the cops kook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: