myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Marine Radio suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otgmail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: How To? Reply with quote

ptjordan wrote:
Wow! You guys are so techno and I mean that in a good way. I guess I am just old school in that my method is never go so far from shore that I can't swim the distance. I have had multiple mile swims a few times over a twenty plus year sailing obsession. A radio would be bitchin' but how would it feel in the surf? I am a hardcore North coast of Santa Cruz sailor and a pfd is out of the question. Duck diving your rig in big surf is a survival skill. Anything that makes you bob like a cork is bad. Where do you put this waterproof bag with your radio? How do you secure it? Enquiring minds.

Hi ptjordan,

The waterproof bag is only for protecting the radio against elements and continued exposure to salt water. You can use the radio while its in the bag.

If you wanted to carry the radio, I think all you need is one small bag that attaches to your waist harness and then you should be able to put the radio in there (although I highly recommend putting the radio in a waterproof bag first). You can also probably add a few safety/repair items of your choice to this small bag. The harness should have plenty of spots in which you can attach this bag.
*Matt*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you there is only even IF a radio does withstand the 1meter under water requirement, it wont survive an impact at 30 knots. Always use a waterproof case. You can use the radio through it.

The Icom M32-Li was the only radio that catamaran sailor hobiegary tank tested to be waterproof.

Matt
23knots

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsnell wrote:
I'm very happy with my Icom IC-M72. It is small, has the best waterproof rating, 6W power and really good sound. Battery life seems to be very long too. I carry it in a waterproof bag, which I highly recommend. I never had to use it but once when my mast broke and I had to swim back for an hour it was very comforting to have a radio with me.

I also have an ICOM M72 and I recommend it for the same reasons. I keep it in an Aquapak waterproof VHF pouch inside a small CamelBak pack that had the water bladder removed. The CamelBak is small enough that it fits snug on my back and doesn't get in the way of my harness. I hardly notice I have it on. Two other things I keep in it are tow line, and a small strobe light (ACR C-Strobe, costs ~$20). The strobe light can help save your butt since the Coast Guard can spot it even through fog.
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a west marine VHF150 (approx $130) in a west marine waterproof pouch ($5). I used to keep it in a small carrying case on a belt around my waist which was a lot of fiddling around, but now I just keep it across my chest under my wetsuit, and I don't even know it is there.
GGSkater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Cell phone? Reply with quote

For sailing in the Bay, does anyone use a cellphone? I have a fairly cheap phone so if it got wet and wrecked I wouldn't be too upset. For sailing 3rd Ave., I could call Foster City Fire Department which has a boat. But what about Crissy? I suppose the marine radio allows the sailor to talk with the CG in real time compared to calling a landline telephone.

Anybody use a cellphone? Thoughts? (I'm thinking of buying a radio but am hesitating due to cost.)
jwajack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: radio is better than a cellphone Reply with quote

with a radio you not only can reach the coast guard, but any vessel within range that is monitoring channel 16 or 9, which should be most decent sized vessels. with a cell phone, if you're in a dead zone, or no one answers the one line you're calling (as opposed to a broadcast to everyone within range) you're SOL. Plus, when the rescue has to come out and get you via ship or helicopter, you'll be able to communicate real time with them when you have a radio. I saw that dakine is making a pouch that fits over the waistbelt (the stretchy-velcro wide strap) of their harnesses, which might be a good way to carry. I had a sail maker/canvas maker put a radio harness on the back of my w/s harness, but that was a few harnesses ago . . . . The small camel back/back pack sounds like a good idea, and a gps could be quite helpful when you're out in the great wide ocean.
girsang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone? Reply with quote

GGSkater wrote:
For sailing in the Bay, does anyone use a cellphone? I have a fairly cheap phone so if it got wet and wrecked I wouldn't be too upset. For sailing 3rd Ave., I could call Foster City Fire Department which has a boat. But what about Crissy? I suppose the marine radio allows the sailor to talk with the CG in real time compared to calling a landline telephone.

Anybody use a cellphone? Thoughts? (I'm thinking of buying a radio but am hesitating due to cost.)

I looked into buying a radio and decided to use my cell phone instead. The main reason was that I knew my phone would always have a live battery and I didn't want another piece of gear to maintain.

For three years now I've worn my phone in an Aquapac and I've never had to use it. But I have taken calls on it. Because I have distinctive rings, I know who it is and I can just plop down and take a quick call (through the waterproof pouch). I sail mostly Crissy and sometimes Ocean Beach, 3rd Ave, or Coyote. I've broken down twice and been stuck out there with no wind a few times and I've either swam in or gotten picked up by a passing boat. I've never needed to call and no one has ever called for me.

For the record I've been sailing for 8 years, so maybe I've just gotten lucky so far. I'm always helping other stranded sailors and it seems like I'm constantly rescuing kiters and/or their stray boards, so perhaps it's karma.

My question is: How do you get your radio (or any other emergency gear) out of your backpack? Once I went to tow another sailor in and I knew I had a spare downhaul in the key pocket of my harness. But I couldn't get to it without taking off my harness, which is extremely difficult to do in the water in high winds (which is when emergencies are most likely to happen).

How would you get something out of your backpack if your arm or leg is injured? Would you be able to do it in 25+ winds with lots of swell? My phone is around my neck and there's also a whistle on the lanyard. I can take either out easily with one hand and use either without the risk of dropping them because they're still around my neck.

All of the emergencies I've seen happened in very high winds, lots of swell, and way out in the water.

I'm not challenging anyone, I'm really just curious if anyone has ever gotten something out of their backpack in the kind of wind that breaks masts, booms, and boards.
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Plan A or B Reply with quote

Plan A) had a cell phone in waterpoof pouch for few years. No coverage BUT still able to call 911 (IN A DEAD ZONE) consecutive to a broken mast alone out there = connected to the cops, then coast guards prior to rescue. Post assessment of the event... what if the cell phone hadn't work/ got drenched? Moved on to plan B...

Plan B) have now a Uniden Voyager. Ultra compact, battery life is incredible, getting corroded (a bit) after being in a Dakine "reef walker" bag for about 3 years (never rinsed either)... Post assessment of this purchase... What if I drop the radio since this thing doesn't float? Very Happy

Both Plans are sensible options. I aimed at the water proof option
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the CG for someone who had broken down off treasure island. It was remarkably difficult to operate a radio while in the water in big swell and high wind. I was worried Iwould drop the radio, so I made sure it was tied to me at all times. It was a bit of a pain getting it out of my pack which was around my waist and at my side. I can't imagine how you would get it out of a backpack or harness without losing it or the backpack. Best option is to have it tied around your neck. I have found the most convenient thing is to have it tied around my neck and sitting in a waterproof bag across my chest under my wetsuit. It is easy to get to and I won't drop it this way as it is tied to me at all times.
juk1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have been sailing with a marine radio for a couple of year and used it once to call in a guy with a broken fin at 3rd. CG was amazing. I have a Westmarine 250 in a pouch. I got a replacement after a cheaper one (150) started leaking.
I put the radio inside the mast sleeve near the mast foot, then a couple wraps of duck tape, all set. Easy access, just make sure you stay with your gear...
I used to sail with a Gramin Forerunner 305 GPS watch, but they don't withstand the windsurfing conditions: two destroyed because of water damage.

JUK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: