myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Davis Point - Anyone sail the place anymore
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Davis Point - Anyone sail the place anymore Reply with quote

Anyone still sail Davis Point anymore.

Had one good session at the place years ago, really great on an Ebb. Local color was eye opening to say the least.

The bar on the other side of the ramp is a must go, especially karoke night on Sunday's.

Went by a few months ago and they city seems to have shaved a few parking spaces off, is that right?

See that the sensor is down.

If I remember, Coast, Crissy fogged in. Delta howling, Larkspur, Berkley reading and the place is on, is that right?

Any info appreciated, wouldn't mind trying again, 1 good session, 5 X skunked.
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Davis Point windsurfing Reply with quote

Regarding Davis point windsurfing, my theory is that Davis Point is too far north for the westerly, thermal Summer winds. The main wind seems to go over the Berkeley and Richmond hills toward Concord and Pittsburg, rather than precisely following the waterway. Very rarely does Davis Point have the best wind in the East Bay, but if it went off, I would like to know how to drive there, where to park, and where to enter the water. Will someone please describe it (I am curious to visit it)?
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From SF.

Willow ave exit. At stop light make a right back under freeway. Go down the hill a way, maybe 5 mins. You'll pass a Safeway on your right I believe.

You'll cross 4th street and then look for the cross of 3rd & Pacific. You make a left, a gradual left onto Pacific Ave, runs diagonally from Willow. Keep going straight on Pacific till you get to a small bridge that crosses the Amtrac lines.

Cross the bridge and make a left down the ramp and there is a small parking lot. We used to rig in the lot. Walk 200 yards further into the park and you'll see the access beach on your right. Usually have to swim 50 yards into the wind line.

On your way out make sure you look back to get a visual on where you are going to point to get back in, it is a beast otherwise.

You can basically cross San Pablo Bay which is huge. Caution high speed ferries come up really quickly.

Also, there is an obvious meth issue in Rodeo, don't leave obvious valuables around.

Apres sail the bar down the right side of the ramp *don't cross tracks* is terrific, new owner and they are fun, real hole in the wall.

When the place works it can be the best place in the bay, shoulder high ramps and howls.

Some famous stories including Peter Thorner and friend breaking down, swimming in and having a hell of time getting back. If I remember rightly they banged on some office windows in the dark, scared the crap out of cleaners who ran away. They left their gear next to tracks, had to dive on top of to stop getting blown by the train passing and finally managed to get a security guard to call a cab. They hitched back to Davis Point in the cab in wetsuits, got the cars and went back to get gear. Not sure if it was Peter who broke the mast or friend, may have been Kenny Hartz, Peter?

As I mentioned only got it good once and subsequently ridiculed multiple times after raving about the place dragging people out 3 or 4 times and everyone getting skunked.

One of the few places I'd actually take a radio if solo, hell of a long swim and if tide turns you are really screwed, few miles of open bay and nothing.

Keep and eye on the wind line. Was a beast to get in when flooding as you have to point really high up wind. It drags you way downwind otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Parking now, anyone been lately?
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a public service (I was actually foolish enough to let epenrose talk me into going to Davis point once) I'd like to provide some balance to the comments above, just in case any of you are still deluded in thinking that he's a balanced person:

1. The place looks worse than the Cleveland river waterfront. If you cannot picture that, picture rotting warehouses, piers, and rusting metal sticking out of the water. This place makes Candlestick Point look like Hookipa.
2. Meth heads like to hang out here. Sometimes they will approach you and ask about windsurfing. Sometimes while talking to you about windsurfing they will begin urinating on their own cars while telling you their life story involving girlfriends dying from heroin overdoses.
3. You may be fortunate enough to meet the lovely female meth-head that likes to come here. She's missing all her teeth and is sexually aggressive. She might offer to carry your gear back from the water. Don't worry, it means she likes you.
4. Apres sailing, you may like to visit the bar epenrose refers to above. It has a lovely water view, and faces an oil refinery. The flames from the distillation stacks make for a romantic setting as you listen to the local drunks sing karaoke.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddies sailed there last year in August... they snapped a pic that doesn't really show much:

http://www.teamdawg.org/media/show/79

Supposed to be an awesome sailing spot... been there on non-windy days. Basically you park in some boat salvage yard or something?

I believe this is the launch:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lone+tree+park+rodeo+ca&jsv=107&layer=t&ie=UTF8&ll=38.036777,-122.274345&spn=0.002607,0.005879&t=h&z=18

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cannot be the same ikrtolica seen happily drinking at the bar at Davis Point a few moons ago.

In fact that same character was seen a few moons ago ordering chicken wings and asking a very harried waitress (with no other tables) how the wings are cooked. They come frozen in a bag and we throw them in the frier was the reply.

Don't you love honesty. Top place, don't be fooled.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the same ikrtolica that was dumb enough to let epenrose drive the day that epenrose wanted to go to Davis point.

"Drinking happily" would not be the right term. Drinking to numb the pain of being stuck in Davis Point would be more accurate.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, if any of you are interested in visiting the fine establishment epenrose keeps referring to, it is called The Waterfront restaurant. Check out their web site:

http://www.waterfrontrodeo.com/index.html

Note that there are no pictures of the surroundings. You will want to drink a lot too...
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikrtolica wrote:
As a public service (I was actually foolish enough to let epenrose talk me into going to Davis point once) I'd like to provide some balance to the comments above, just in case any of you are still deluded in thinking that he's a balanced person:

1. The place looks worse than the Cleveland river waterfront. If you cannot picture that, picture rotting warehouses, piers, and rusting metal sticking out of the water. This place makes Candlestick Point look like Hookipa.
2. Meth heads like to hang out here. Sometimes they will approach you and ask about windsurfing. Sometimes while talking to you about windsurfing they will begin urinating on their own cars while telling you their life story involving girlfriends dying from heroin overdoses.
3. You may be fortunate enough to meet the lovely female meth-head that likes to come here. She's missing all her teeth and is sexually aggressive. She might offer to carry your gear back from the water. Don't worry, it means she likes you.
4. Apres sailing, you may like to visit the bar epenrose refers to above. It has a lovely water view, and faces an oil refinery. The flames from the distillation stacks make for a romantic setting as you listen to the local drunks sing karaoke.

Now this is some funny shit... Laughing Laughing Laughing
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bar looks like a fun place.

Do they let white people in? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: