myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Davis Point - Anyone sail the place anymore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the place Kevin.

I did have a conversation with a gentleman in a pick up who had to jump out mid conversation and relieve himself. He did mention that his misses was found a little cold and pale in a motel room with a needle in her arm. He also mentioned if you find one with two teeth you are doing well.

I will mention that there was a Bud Light in the coffee holder, I always respect when people watch their weight and health.

ikrtolica just doesn't have such worldly experience of fine dining, in that sort of bottom of the pond way.

I find the restaurant quite lovely, after a few mins on the deck I didn't have to trim my nose hairs for two years , that burn helps.

The styrofoam man in the used parking lot was a legend, I hope he's till around, used to live in the small trailer next to the disused oil truck, sounds better by the moment doesn't it.

There is another bar on the corner of Willow and Third that looked equally interesting, will update on next trip.....
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... if that guy from the coyote point thread didn't like the characters over there... he probably won't like the davis point locals either Laughing
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epenrose has returned with to the forums with a vengance. I guess a trip to the Iwindsurf website can include some slightly amusing posts as well again. Good to see you back.

With regards to this sailing site,

1) I have heard stories about epic sailing mostly from epenrose and the director of coast guard auxiliary a.k.a. Peter Thorner
2) I have been dragged there quite a few times but haven't actually sailed since there is no wind there most of the time.

Somebody mentioned the option of sailing near downtown Pittsburg last season in an area where the river narrows a few miles upwind of Sherman Island. Any reports from that place?
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capicella wrote:
Somebody mentioned the option of sailing near downtown Pittsburg last season in an area where the river narrows a few miles upwind of Sherman Island. Any reports from that place?

Don't know about the sailing there but anytime I'm near Pittsburg I end up at the New Mecca Cafe on Railroad Ave.
Good eats! Wink

Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris.

To be fair the record isn't good. About 7 visits, skunked 5 of them, including a hour swim in.

The one really good session was fun as hell.

Might be an alternative as on fogged in coast days with no swell the Delta is a tidy $30 in gas.

I have been really picking my coast days with care. $70 a weekend in gas for two days is a pretty sting to the old bank account.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a little local color can make a place interesting. I'm not concerned about getting jumped while I'm there but I am concerned about my car getting broken into or messed with. During the summer months at Leo Carrillo, parking is tough. Often times people have to park far away up PCH beneath a hill which conceals your car from the beach. Some of the local thugs like to take big rocks and throw them thru the side window and then help themselfs to whatever they want without much risk of getting caught. You will see fresh piles of broken window glass next to the road.
If it happens enough the Sheriff will step up patrols of the area, but then the damage has already been done. It's a good idea to drive an old clunker but I am surprised at how many people take their nice BMW's and Escalades to the beach.
victor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike godsey raved about davis pt. some time ago i recall something about clean swell coming in from deeper water, hitting the shallows and standing up mast high.

i'd go there just for the crank.
eastie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to highjack this post, but in response to the Pittsburg Marina Park post...
Last year I mentioned sailing there in the past, and the fact that there was broken paraphernalia, and scetchy folks hanging around the parking lot.
Our gear and cars never were damaged, and we did have a few awesome sailing sesssions.
Launch was rough (levee rocks), but if you sail in the wind shadow, it's not too hard to get out.
I know the city has tried hard to make things better since then (mid 80's and 90's).
I did not mean to sway people away, but for the Bay Area folks, it's a lot closer than Sherman and saves a bridge toll.
Can someone that lives there enlighten us?
BTW La Meca is a must visit after sailing.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastie1

You have my budget, save the toll and gas but spend it on beer, excellent!

What's the bar like, women have teeth?
eastie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Walnut Creek, my friends and I always wanted to go there because it saved time, and money. But, kept driving because of the environment.
There are some big swells there, and you rig on well manicured lawns.
La Meca is a Mexican restaurant. Great food, and of course great mexi beer.
Free chips and authentic salsa when you get seated.
A lot of the locals (not drug locals) go there.
Did I mention you launching in about 80 degree water.
It comes from the PG&E power plant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: