myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Downhaul Line
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Downhaul Line Reply with quote

Anyone know who is stocking this downhaul line:

Marlow Formuline [3.8 mm Spectra braid]

went out to Svendsen's in Alameda, they don't have it.
Sailworks sells it, but its 7 bucks shipping, got to be a shop local to the bay area that supplies it?

FWline_downhaul_lg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.94 KB
 Viewed:  15359 Time(s)

FWline_downhaul_lg.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another angle to your dilemma would be to buy a whole roll of the stuff, pay the shipping from Sailworks and ultimately end up with virtually a lifetime supply at your disposal.
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helm of Sun Vally in San Mateo has it. I think its 6 bucks for 6' of line - twice as much as marlow line. They also sell it out of their trailer at the 3rd Ave. launch, but they haven't pulled the trailer out there yet this season. I bought one three or four seasons ago and am still using the same one! That's over 400 days of use, which more than justifies the added cost.

Another advantage is the low friction makes downhauling your sail three times as easy - its like butta!

Disadvantage - its so slick the knot you tie off to keep it secured to your extension can come undone - use a figure 8 and you should have no worries.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have some soon to sell. The stuff Helm sells I believe is white spectra from Chinook... it is not the same as Formuline... The Chinook stuff is slightly larger diameter, a little bit stiffer, and the jacket is not as smooth. Works great, but not the same stuff AFAIK.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
andydavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: West marine Reply with quote

I think I've got the same stuff from West Marine...maybe it's not exactly the right diameter. Their website is down right now, so I can't check.

www.WestMarine.com

I checked, I was wrong. Kevin, are you getting a store?

Last edited by andydavis on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
victor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found some @ helms last summer.

incredible stuff. definitely worth paying twice what other lines cost.

i second the slippery comment. makes rigging easier but even a figure 8 knot wiggled loose on me about 3 anitas out @ crissy. taught me to keep an eye on that aspect.

at first i searced for a source in bulk. after three seasons without breaking the first one i got i think i'm set for life with the spares i got last year unless my buddies don't stop hitting me up.
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Murrays Marine (murrays.com) has this stuff. It is called "Robline," it's 3.8 mm thick, and it is strong as the hinges of hell. I bought three lengths of this last spring, one for each of my Streamline bases and a spare, and the spare is still unused--despite using nothing but North F2007 race sails that take some 800 lbs of downhaul tension. Last year was the first year ever that I didn't snap a downhaul line.

Unfortunately it's also $1.20 a foot and Murray's charges $8 for shipping.

Here's what they say about it:

FSE Robline new Super Downhaul line has been specifically designed to handle the extreme high loads of large formula sailboard race sails. The Super Downhaul line's unique construction keeps the rope round under extreme downhaul loads, which allows it to hold extremely well in clam-style cleat bases. Smooth 12-plait construction and the slippery characteristics of 100% SK75 Dyneema fiber dramatically reduce friction in downhaul purchase systems.

Super Downhaul line is not just for racers; it's for anyone who wants a line that will make rigging easier. This line will also last many seasons due to the incredible durability of Dyneema. Per foot. Spool length is 100m (328 ft).

(the only affiliation I have with Murray's is that I have sent them lots of my money.)
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Hi-Tech in Maui has it and I've heard but can't verify that Peter Jones at Southwest Boardsports, San Diego, has it.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget about shipping and stuff and support Kevin in his new adventure as windsurf retailer. He's local from the Bay Area, he's available, call him about what you need or leave him a message.

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once, I seem to be close to the source. Murray's is quite close for me. I'm stoked!

Thanks guys for the tip on the line. I'll give it a try
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: