myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jalama this Saturday (4/17)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppistol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Jalama this Saturday (4/17) Reply with quote

hey everybody!

I recently moved to San Diego and I'm already pretty frustrated with the windsurfing down here... The surf isn't good either for the last couple weeks and I'm thinking about roadtripping to Jalama this weekend.

Windfinder predicts solid 3m waves and 4.7-4.0 conditions. Can you actually ride some waves up there or is it solely a jumping spot?? Any thoughts on this weekend's forecast??

Cheers

Peter
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter.

Jalama at this time of year is a lot of fun. It can be a gear busting place and a nasty beach break to get out through You can get rides and sometimes sets up nicely. The place is gorgeous, happen to love the 14 mile drive out, was the first weekend I took the missus away on.

Depending on what you are up for, I have had better sailing at Piedras Blancas (Arroyo) up the coast just below Hearst Castle.

The crowd at both places has always been mellow and have seen a lot of the same faces for years.

Hope your credit card has a nice limit to replace gear!

Good luck.
elenna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to make the trip to Arroyo, you might as well go to Punta San Carlos. It's about the same travel distance and you're bound to get a much better wave.

Eric
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if you like getting robbed on the way there San Carlos is the best wave on the planet. Otherwise k39 Rauls is very close and can be very good on occaision. Look for nw winds in outer waters and hot in the desert. That is only 1 hour from SD but 2 hours back home. I've had some great days there.
Jalama has been on fire lately and you could check iw on the way up to see if Leo or Led is working. We have surf sometimes. Jalama can be cruel.
ppistol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!

San Carlos is probably not really worth it for me... If I get robbed I might not be able to get back in the country (visa). Living in San Diego you hear a lot of stories about Mexico (if they are really true). I'd rather fly back to Maui. Anyways, thanks for your input. Jalama sounds amazing, it's just an awfully long drive for a day trip.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppistol wrote:
it's just an awfully long drive for a day trip.

there is a campsite there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: