myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick Speed Record Potential
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christianpiepers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys !

Only on Bethany Resevoir by Liveremore I cannot see any spots in google earth, you mean the bigger reservoir east of Byron Airport ?

Today looks good again in the bay ( the wind I mean .. Wink )
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: The guy says he got his stuff in the boat . Reply with quote

If we are talking about the candlestick rescue . Somebody finally dropped him off back at hes car. It looked like he was in good shape.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with aaron1234 about the potential of the Bodega Bay area for speed sailing, but I'm not sure that the angle is perfect for record type speeds, as you could speed sail both directions. Its been many years since my last time there, but I found that the inlet coming into the bay was really sweet for speed runs right up against the mud flats on the west side at low tide. For a pretty distance it was absolutely dead flat and smooth until it started getting a bit bumpy coming into the bay itself. Definitely worth the time if the conditions are right.
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a google map link to Bethany Reservoir.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.782882,-121.62085&z=16&t=h&hl=en

The main launch is opposite the parking lot on Christensen Road. Cross the Dam to get to the windsurfing launch. Prepare for heat in the summer. The speed sailing would be done right in that little area.
christianpiepers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot
christianpiepers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Candlestick today with 6.8 sqm and must say it's a strange spot: shifting and gusting winds all the time and all in all lucky to get ashore still planing. Wind varied between 10 and 30 knots.

Was sailing a 2007 115 liter slalom/speed board ( is for sale ) and a 33 cm fin. Max speed about 35 knots and average 32, so not even worth posting.

Any interest in board or other stuff call me on 859-6409383 or mail me at info@christianpiepers.com. Pictures are on my website.
Board 230x60 cm: 115 liter shaped by Marco Copello
Sails The Loft widesleeve slalom/speed 2007:
Sizes:
5.1 ( max speed 45.3 knots dec. 2007 )
dougapepper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best speed sailing spots in the bay is the extreme upwind of Embassy Suites. Can be very flat and very windy. I did 34 mph today on my first day with the GPS. I think with the right gear you could do much faster there. I will keep trying.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian, not sure if you have been able to find this out yet but at Candlestick there are two main areas to find something close to what you need...

I've sailed ther a ton over the last two years and have found out by trial and error.

"A" is approached on a starbord tack about 300yds from shore. Here the wind appears more northerly than at the launch and the normal sailing area. You'd start on starboard just above the pier after jibe, you have about 1800-1900km before the wind dies at the end. From about 200yds off the pier to the end of the line on "A" you have room for a NM attempt. At the end of line "A" you see what looks like a freeway offramp there is a large freeway sign...sail past that and you've made your NM. It is usually gustier the closer you get to the NW corner of the sailing area so this one only works on a day when you have min 15mph usually gusting to 25-30mph.

"B" is more reliable but not flat like you're looking for. It's a little jem you can hit on heavy days. It's just downwind of a small "shoal" usually find good starboard ramps there when heading out. "B" is your port tack side on the way in. Basically you have turned to approach the launch head upwind till you are lined up with the pier or are just upwind of it. Now look for the small wind break on shore just downwind of the main launch (it's just downwind of the parking lot about 200yds). Aim for that , lock and load you'll hit a few gusts but the flat water is found between the troughs of the swells. This works on high tides better as the swell is spaced further apart. You're only maybe 110deg off the wind here but the futther out you are from the launch the wind fans out more northerly. As you come in it gets more westerly (that's what the arrows at the top of the pic are depicting). B works on a board that rides a little nose high as you are approaching the swells from behind. I use a Sputnik 280 and it's too long and flat to fully take advantage of this area. I've managed peaks around 34kts here on occasion.

One thing to be careful of. There is a large rock about 100ft from shore just out from the point to your left as you launch hard to describe without being there, but on real low tides you can see it poking out. Normally it's 1ft-3ft under water, but I've managed to hit it twice in the same week...and I know where it is! To avoid it, when approaching the launch, just stay upwind of the point and you'll be fine. You can just make it out on the pic between the "B" and the hook at the end of the "B" line.

This is the time of the year the wind here is more steady. Once into summer patterns it will get more gusty.

Regarding your ideal conditions:
the "spit" sticking off brooks Island (launch from point isabel) is fine but there is a lot of standing chop about 8" high. The ride is rough but once up to speed if the wind has filled in all the way it's not bad. I've only hit good conditions there once but I don't sail there much.

Bodega onthe ocean side (Doran) is slick. Can be gusty but nice and flat. Water is cold and is best on a WNW day. NW is fine but limiting the flat water because your angle is not as great. Port tack on this side is the best option.

Harts (the inside of Bodega basically the other side of Doran) runs through a narrow (50yd wide channel). The upwind side is a shallow shelf with some weeds. This is great on a ebb. The water is real clear and on occasion you can see the bottome 1-2ft below as you're screaming over top of it. Starboard tack here is best. If you miss the tide, there is large swell you will hit head on in the channel on port tack going into the bay to set up for a run. I killed my previous board here slamming it through the chop there. If you miss the tide swing, move over to Doran.

The real chance to rival Klicitat (sp) is Pillar Point Harbor in Half Moon Bay. This works in winter when the storms come in with 40+mph winds from the south. You have about a mile insode a tall jetty ( high tide is preferred) I've scoped it out a few times but have never had the work schedule in my favor to make things work.

J

StickWind.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.31 KB
 Viewed:  11067 Time(s)

StickWind.jpg

Last edited by Jrobb on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been up there in years. Watch the tides as it can turn to complete mud flats.

No one has mentioned it, but one the the fastest spots in the Bay Area is Princeton Harbor in Half Moon Bay on SE storm front winds during winter. Tuck into the jetty on the east side of the harbor mouth and you can lock in down wind starboard runs on butter smooth water in winds anywhere from 20 to 50 knots depending the particular storm. I have often wished for a GPS unit there. To get there you can launch from the highway one side with the kiters, or down by the pier with the windsurfers. If you launch by the pier, it will be somewhat choppy. As you climb up to the jetty, it will smooth out. Its a great hero jibe and freestyle spot too.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrobb wrote:

The real chance to rival Klicitat (sp) is Pillar Point Harbor in Half Moon Bay. This works in winter when the storms come in with 40+mph winds from the south. You have about a mile insode a tall jetty ( high tide is preferred) I've scoped it out a few times but have never had the work schedule in my favor to make things work.

JRobb, I've sailed that spot lots in big storms in the winter. I'm wondering if the high jetty (probably logo high?) would ruin it for speed sailing. I think close in where the water is flat, there would be a significant wind shadow. Further away, turbulence.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: