myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick rescue Video-
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: pretty funny thread Reply with quote

I've done my share of rescuing - probably more in 23 years of sailing, and I've ditched two entire rigs in my day to just paddle back in more quickly.

Has anyone asked the CG what they think of rescues like this? I have. It is what they get paid for. The couple guys I've talked to over the years don't like wasting their time - don't get me wrong - but they take pride in making sure everyone - no matter how far in over their heads - gets home.

This isn't some jackass surfing his boat in next to fort point - this is a guy who went to Candlestick... the "beginner" area... and conditions changed. BFD. The CG did their job that they get paid for and were probably proud to have potentially saved another life.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we only went out when it was prudent we would never go out. How many times have we taken that one last run and the wind died on the outside?

Using a wind powered watercraft with no auxilary power we are taking our chances in any conditions.

I've been rescued twice. Once by the CG and once by civilians. The civilians gave me a little bit of a hard time although they towed me a my gear all the way back to the launch. The CG expertly got me and my gear on board, made sure i was o.k. and dropped me off at the dock without a comment.

Ever call 911 on land? You don't just get the paramedics but at least a police car and a fire truck. That's what they do and wht they get paid for. It's all in a days work.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is this the same epenrose who gives me a hard time for not sailing up to the GG Bridge on big ebb days? Shocked I carry a radio but I genuinely try to not put myself in situations where I can't deal with the situation on my own. Other things that people tend to ignore.

1) Sail with others.
2) Wear a wetsuit sized for a potentially long period of time in the water
3) Carry basic safety items such as a whistle, strobe, line, etc.
4) Know how to self-rescue. This was like the first thing I learned in this sport and have used it on more than one occasion.

I am glad the USCG is there but I see where Edward is coming from. I have seen an inordinate amount of kiters pulled out of the bay at Crissy these last few years and very little self rescue going on. A few years ago, one of our fellow sailors broke a mast about 1/2 mile offshore. Within 10 minutes, about five of us helped him break down his gear and got him back to shore no problem.

Be safe and avoid large gas guzzling white VW vans.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides of the argument. It's awesome that we have such a responsive Coast Guard here, and they do an amazing job of saving people and their gear every day. I am definitely glad they are around, and I also hope that I never need their services.

However, i also do some dumb stuff... like sailing outside the Gate w/ no contingency plan... no extra rope, no marine radio, etc... maybe this is because I have a false sense of security knowing that the Coast Guard is always picking up windsurfers and kiters outside the gate? Not a good assumption to make! If I were to break down out there or were the wind to die, I could be seriously screwed.

And I see lots of sailors at Crissy (mostly kiters) who really use the Coast Guard as a taxi service to get back from outside the Golden Gate... and I also have some sort of problem w/ it... like people aren't paying attention to the changing conditions and looking downwind to see if the wind line is retreating... just having their fun and knowing that they can call the Coast Guard if they need a lift. I guess I have a little problem with the "repeat offenders" so to speak.

Hey, shit happens, and it will eventually happen to all of us. Best to be prepared to deal with it... but sometimes we all need help, and it's great to have other sailors and the coast guard looking after us.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points capi,

the two times I broke gear out on the water I got help from my buddies to make it back safe. About two weeks ago I ventured out past the Golden Gate Bridge on a windy day, strong ebb (4 knots) and big swell. The experience was unbelievable but I couldn't stop thinking what would happen if the tendon breaks in half or the mast snaps, next stop would be Baker Beach if I'm lucky and can get near shore or out to the Pacific. I only carry a whistle.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, good sync kevin, posted almost at the same time
pthorner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Coast Guard didn't rescue people who made mistakes, they would spend a lot of time hanging out at the station. That said, there is always the chance that they might not be able to find you or a Coast Guard asset may be tied up elsewhere when you are in the moment of need. The helicopters cover an area up to Oregon, down toward SLO, and in to AZ and NV, so there are a lot of other places the ready helo could be when you are in deep trouble. So, it is great to have them as a life insurance policy but you better have a Plan B as well. I have also had a radio fail on the water during a rescue.

I worked land side on a rescue effort in January and called in a helicopter for rescue and the guy (non windsurfer, no wetsuit) became so hypothermic before the helo arrived that he subsequently died. It usually takes more time than you would think to get the crew dispatched, into their drysuits, and onto the boat or helo, and on their way.

Beyond planning and recognizing your limits, carry the safety gear. Submersible rated radios are available at or under $150. A light source will absolutely be the difference between rescue and a cold night if you are broken down in the dark... and we mostly sail afternoons toward evening.

Also, put your phone number on your gear. Every season, we have 1 or 2 cases where windsurf or kitesurf gear is found on the water and the Coast Guard does a full day of search and rescue only to learn that the owner was safe on shore (or sometimes never know what happened). With a number on the gear, the owner can be contacted to make sure they are safe and to return the property. If you lose your gear, call the Coast Guard with a description so they can correlate the gear to you if it is reported or found.

Coast Guard Sector San Francisco
415-399-3547

Crissy Field/Ocean Beach
Station Golden Gate 415-331-8247

Candlestick/Coyote/3rd/East Bay/Larkspur
Station San Francisco 415-399-3478

Peter Thorner
San Francisco Boardsailing Association
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you admiral!!!!
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy

Your lack of local knowledge is tiresome.

The stick blows harder than most other spots and usually the latest in the year, thought everyone knew that.

Tammy instead of making snippy little comments why not add some useful advice. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Try looking at the ocean buoys in the morning. On Sat SF buoy was blowing 35 - 37 average all morning, meaning it was going to nuke.

If you haven't sailed in very high wind do a couple of things. Go some place it blows onshore, at least you'll know where you'll end up. Teach yourself how to launch already hooked in the foot straps, if you are that overpowered it is the only way you can get back in half the time. Alameda during storm winds is a great training ground, a lot of us learned the hard way sagely in storms.

We've had a few deaths over the years, be good to know that we don't have anymore. I think the last one was some guy at the stick you they found over at Oakland airport in the AM the next day.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy was waaay over his head and obviously had no clue what he was doing... I'm talking about the guy who shot the video, of course.

Last edited by River-Lizard on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: