myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Informal Contest at Waddell 4/27
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as fin gouging goes, looks like we should have a decent amount of water there that is filling throughout the day. There might have to be an award for whoever makes the best wipeout/damages their gear the most....
pablito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a kiter and I know you guys hate us, but we would never have an event at Waddell and publicize it for all skill levels.

Waddell is crowded on the weekends, and beginners/low level intermediate riders pose a hazard to everyone on the water. Kiters do a pretty good job of advertising Waddell as an advanced intermediate and up place to kite.

Beginner kiters and windsurfers alike are not used to having riders coming down the line across their tack. And when they wreck, it's usually right in the wave zone. It's in everyone's best interest for them to windsurf and kite somewhere else until they get their skill levels up.

Just sayin'... if we did this, you guys wouldn't be happy. You think it's bad windsurfing at Waddell with good kiters around, you really don't want to see what it's like with kiters who suck...
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pablito; I doubt very much you will see very low level windsurfers at Waddell. Waddell is very much an advanced windsurfing spot. When low level sailers go out they quickly end up way down the beach. I wouldn't worry except there could be more sailers there than an average weekend day...hopefully everyone has a good time.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the invite was referring to windsurfers w/ varying levels skill in the waves... not necessarily trying to attract beginning windsurfers and throw them into the wash cycle. There are a lot of good windsurfers who never go to the coast, and it just helps to know you can go there and not be alone. This deal is just to get more people out there and to have a little get together.

But hey, everybody has to learn to ride waves somewhere...

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:

But hey, everybody has to learn to ride waves somewhere...

and unlike kiters, we only have 2-3 wave spots south of the Bay Area we can do this
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablito wrote:
I'm a kiter and I know you guys hate us, but we would never have an event at Waddell and publicize it for all skill levels.

Waddell is crowded on the weekends, and beginners/low level intermediate riders pose a hazard to everyone on the water. Kiters do a pretty good job of advertising Waddell as an advanced intermediate and up place to kite.

Beginner kiters and windsurfers alike are not used to having riders coming down the line across their tack. And when they wreck, it's usually right in the wave zone. It's in everyone's best interest for them to windsurf and kite somewhere else until they get their skill levels up.

Just sayin'... if we did this, you guys wouldn't be happy. You think it's bad windsurfing at Waddell with good kiters around, you really don't want to see what it's like with kiters who suck...

oh, and the whole I know you guys hate us and we would never advertise something so irresponsible thing...

WHATEVER DUDE!!!

I seem to remember last year some Kiters Invade Davenport thing.... that was pretty much just making a point of kiters being dicks and showing it to windsurfers... so who really hates who? So, now some windsurfers want to go to Waddell and people want to cry about it? WTF?

I have plenty of friends who kite that I get along just fine with... no problem w/ them when we go hit the water together...

don't make something out of nothing.

There could be no wind, and then it would just be a battle of the BBQ's.

smpitt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bayareakiteboarding.com writes...
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/about5495.html
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Lets be fair. I think his point was this isn't a beginner spot, which I think everyone understands. Don't enter the contest if you can't waterstart, hit your jibes most of the time, and get over the white water. Beyond that, as Whit said, its open to all abilities.

I'm not sure what Whit has in mind for the "contest area," but my guess is since its informal and as he said, there are likely to be other sailors and kiters in among the contestants, WAVE RULES SHOULD APPLY! Don't go cutting people off just because you are in a "contest."

I wish someone had told the kiters that when they "took Davenport." They were plain rude - short jibing onto waves and expecting windsurfers to yield because, hey man, I'm in a movies. BFD. Respect each other. The kiters at Waddell are quite good, understand waves rules, are almost all windsurfers or former windsurfers, and share the place very well.
SWE106

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
oh, and the whole I know you guys hate us and we would never advertise something so irresponsible thing...

WHATEVER DUDE!!!

I seem to remember last year some Kiters Invade Davenport thing.... that was pretty much just making a point of kiters being dicks and showing it to windsurfers... so who really hates who? So, now some windsurfers want to go to Waddell and people want to cry about it? WTF?

I have plenty of friends who kite that I get along just fine with... no problem w/ them when we go hit the water together...

don't make something out of nothing.

There could be no wind, and then it would just be a battle of the BBQ's.

Exactly: don't make something out of nothing. This is a GREAT initiative and should be fully supported. Fun competitions can be done anywhere, anytime. No approval needed, especially not from kiters. One day out of at least a 100 sailing days and some already start to cry for mamma... pffff.... Now just show up, fire up the grill and have some fun on the water. Windsurfers upwind, kite surfers downwind. Easy, simple, everybody happy. And if that doesn't work, mix it up and RESPECT eachother: no shortjibing, no stealing, no sneaking, no drop-ins, no right of way violations. Simple! I hope we all have a GREAT sunday and show the true ALOHA spirit that comes with our sport.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Kevin,

Lets be fair. I think his point was this isn't a beginner spot, which I think everyone understands. Don't enter the contest if you can't waterstart, hit your jibes most of the time, and get over the white water. Beyond that, as Whit said, its open to all abilities.

I'm not sure what Whit has in mind for the "contest area," but my guess is since its informal and as he said, there are likely to be other sailors and kiters in among the contestants, WAVE RULES SHOULD APPLY! Don't go cutting people off just because you are in a "contest."

I wish someone had told the kiters that when they "took Davenport." They were plain rude - short jibing onto waves and expecting windsurfers to yield because, hey man, I'm in a movies. BFD. Respect each other. The kiters at Waddell are quite good, understand waves rules, are almost all windsurfers or former windsurfers, and share the place very well.

I fully couldn't agree more. As I said, I thing the wording was a little vague, and so I was trying to clarify Whit's intentions. None of us would take a beginner or even most intermediates to Waddell. That's not what this is about. We would however like to give strong sailors an opportunity to go to the coast. Nobody likes people who have no wave etiquette.... doesn't make a difference if you get snaked by an aggressive dangler or a pole jammer LOL

I've never had run ins w/ the Waddell windsurfers or kiters... and if there's any doubt I always defer to others. I would hope that any sensible person would do the same.

I fully sympathized w/ Pablito's concerns, but the delivery of the message sucked big time... i thought it was hypocritical and accusatory considering what happened last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: