myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drake's Estero...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnjames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Drake's Estero... Reply with quote

Surfed the estero mouth today. Had some fun 3 footers on an inside bar on the limantour side of the mouth until the wind made things hectic. I've been out there on small days before and surfed this same sandbar (on both s and nw swells) and it seems to be a pretty consistent surf spot (empty at least) when the swell is under 6 foot and the tide is flooding. at least it's always surfable when the reform across the channel isn't working.

My experience here in spring and summer is typically what I found today, small fun waves off to the side and lots of chaos and spray going on in the channel/mouth. As a bay sailor who aspires to sail waves some day this seems like a pretty chill and doable spot compared to other places I've scoped up and down the coast. I know it's remote, riddled with crazy currents, offshore winds, and that other thing I don't think about, but I've gotten used to those as a surfer, sort of.

I'm wondering what type of setup you wave sailors typically find, or look for, out there. I've surfed here maybe a dozen times when the conditions were suitable (at least windy enough) for sailing but I've never seen anyone sail this place. sometimes there's like a mile wide swath of breaks, which can break a mile offshore, but this usually happens in the winter in a big NW, and it usually isn't windy then. seems to me like the chance of a big swell and adequate wind coinciding is pretty slim.

anyways, just basking in the stoke of this stellar spot and thought I'd ask the wave sailing community to see if anyone's feeling chatty about this place, just in case some day I try to sail here.

cheers
bradj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do windsurf there, I hear that the launch from limantour and then take a really long reach out and back to get up wind to the break. It is a dangerous spot to sail for all the reasons you mentioned, PLUS the long outside reach required to get upwind to the spot. As a surfer, do you walk to the break from the limantour lot or is there another way in? I heard there might be a bike track. I am curious about this supposed bike track and wonder if one could navigate it with a small bike trailer attached for the purpose of carrying windsurf gear up to the break.
merde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it tubamancha your surfed at?
http://thewindmap.com/wiki/index.php/Tubamancha-North_America

I sailed this place once,
yes, it is tough to make it up wind from limantour, (with a 70l and a small fin), but once there it a great wave,
if you go there again tell me, I am in.

cheers
seshy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Estero/Limantour/Tuba Reply with quote

bradj wrote:
People do windsurf there, I hear that the launch from limantour and then take a really long reach out and back to get up wind to the break. It is a dangerous spot to sail for all the reasons you mentioned, PLUS the long outside reach required to get upwind to the spot. As a surfer, do you walk to the break from the limantour lot or is there another way in? I heard there might be a bike track. I am curious about this supposed bike track and wonder if one could navigate it with a small bike trailer attached for the purpose of carrying windsurf gear up to the break.

I've sailed there a few times (4 or 5) but not in recent years. I think it is referred to as Tubamancha on this site. Spring is best there on the strong early winds but it does offer a few days in fall. Side off situation is best I know of No Cal.

Have sailed up to the break but also hiked with gear on lighter days on that path you refer to. It did exist years ago and your bike/trailer approach would work.

Always concerned about whitey, however, as have seen lots of seals there feeding and sunbathing at the outlet. Had a session once there 8 or so years ago which led to stiches for a friend at Marin General. Nurse reported that her husband had seen a great white while fishing there at drake's bay.
seshy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Estero/Limantour/Tuba Reply with quote

bradj wrote:

I've sailed there a few times (4 or 5) but not in recent years. I think it is referred to as Tubamancha on this site. Spring is best there on the strong early winds but it does offer a few days in fall. Side off situation is best I know of in No Cal.

Have sailed up to the break but also hiked with gear on lighter days on that path you refer to. So it did exist years ago and your bike/trailer approach may have worked then. However very sandy as I remember.

Always concerned about whitey, however, as have seen lots of seals there feeding and sunbathing at the outlet. Had a session once there 8 or so years ago which led to stiches for a friend at Marin General. Nurse reported that her husband had seen a great white while fishing there at drake's bay.

Ping Godsey on this topic, he used to frequent Tuba and may still...
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us sail Tuba regularly. Tend to only go when S swell is showing nicely.

You have to take a long reach and work up to Tuba-munch upwind. When it isn't completely nuclear it can be one of the best wave spots up the coast.

Been skunked a few times as well, place is one of the most beautiful on the North coast.

I'd make sure all you gear is in good shape as if you break down the rescue might be a few hours. No cell phone signal after you leave Olema.

Have sailed the place solo a few times, nice and hairy. Particularly enjoyed when the seals leap into the air out of the wave and scare the living sh&* out of you. Anyone knows that this is just the way seals play and have fun and not because any large creature happens to be following them with big teeth. Very Happy
shawnjames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradj wrote:
As a surfer, do you walk to the break from the limantour lot or is there another way in? I heard there might be a bike track. I am curious about this supposed bike track and wonder if one could navigate it with a small bike trailer attached for the purpose of carrying windsurf gear up to the break.

I launch from drake's beach in a sea kayak with my board strapped atop the stern. I'm at the break in 15 minutes. This way I can cross the mouth if that's where the surf is at, and I have a basecamp with food, clothing, shelter up on shore stowed in the kayak. I don't think this would work with windsurfing gear, but anything's possible I guess.

I definitely enjoy the national geographic vibe of the place. home to many curious seals and especially dolphins. I have seen surfers towed back out by dolphins when surfing the famous reform left, and have been checked out thoroughly by one of them myself.

thx--for the info guys.

btw--never seen a south truly light up the place, seems rare.
bradj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake's beach access appears to be about 1/2 the distance to the break than the downwind Limantour access. Most people who windsurf Tuba launch at Limantour... but why not go out a Drake's beach? is there another reason to launch at Limantour besides having the break upwind of the launch in case the wind dies?
h2oshots

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuba can get crowded sometimes... Wink

all images (C) h2oshots.com
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's some cool footage of tuba in the video Quake on the Gold Coast.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: