myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Field Parking - RV's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Crissy Field Parking - RV's Reply with quote

Was at Crissy field Saturday by the showers and noticed a huge old RV motor home, way over 20 feet parked on the grass area where the majority of windsurfers rig.

I always have noticed that there is a sign when you enter saying no motor homes over 20 feet. I asked a US park service officer passing why he was allowed to park across nine parking places and he basically told me to go stuff myself. So glad I pay my taxes.

Being obnoxious I called (the park center) and the rule is nothing over 20 feet without a permit for filming or some special event. Also RV's not allowed along Marina Green. The gentleman who I spoke with was very helpful and the impression I get is that there isn't a lot of love lost between the civilian park people and the US park police.

Thought it was pretty inconsiderate that someone chooses to park the huge vehicle across literally 9 places. FYI not talking about a Sportsmobile or any other type of mall van but the school type of size vehicle.

I'm e-mailing the Major in charge of the park police for Crissy and see if I get a response or a bullet in the ass!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more rules? Why don't you just sail?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkling spaces range from 9 to 11 feet; let's call 'em 10 feet. 9 of 'em is 90 feet. A rig that big is called an 18-wheeler or a locomotive, not an RV or school bus.

But I hear your pain. Our local rural park sees individuals deliberately taking up up to four precious spaces with their camping trailer and their awning and their truck or car, and some usurp another space or two by taking a picnic table from the grass and setting up home in the asphalt parking lot. Anyone complaining that others now cannot park there on crowded days are angrily told, "They're not my problem". One guy who already had three asphalt spaces for his truck, camper, and carpet ordered me not to park in the fourth adjacent spot "because he might need that space". That will be compounded this season because the Corps of Engineers recently reduced parking by up to 45% with "parking improvements" such as boulders and will apparently be ticketing heavily and quickly for imaginative parking along the nearby paved and dirt roads.

We may have recovered some space with calm complaints to the Corps and the CGWA with simple solutions for regaining some of the lost parking, but I suspect a significant hit is inevitable due to the increased government "fixes" in a park that wasn't broken.

Peer pressure has helped slightly; it may have to increase as officials meddle more but actually HELP less. (I'm voting accordingly this fall.)

\m/
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crissy is a weekday sailing spot for me. Let the gapers, tourists, drunks, bums,RV'ers, and kids take over the joint on weekends.
Boggsman
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard.

I am very fortunate that I can drive anywhere pretty much where I want. I am also very fortunate that I can afford the equipment.

It happens to raise my ire when it was pretty obvious that there were many families who probably don't have the financial ability to drive somewhere else and want to just enjoy the day at the beach but couldn't find parking as some selfish git thinks it's OK to park a full size RV across 9 parking places.

Sometimes it's not about sailing but seeing if you can maybe make someone else's life a little better without any benefit to yourself.

Maybe you don't know that there are quite a few less affluent areas within a 10 minute drive, and keeping the area as accessible to everyone is a great benefit the community in general.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not rare in the Gorge -- it's common at some venues -- for all the wind to be at one spot. When that happens in the summer, anyone who arrives late will at best be forced to schlep his gear a long ways, may at worst not have any place to park in the windy stretch of the Columbia. I don't leave hours before dawn some days just to make sure I don't get enough sleep.

I had an RVer group yell out that my generator noise was obnoxious as hell, that I'd better shut it off. They had dragged a park table into a asphalt parking space and set up camp there, and their group of four was thus occupying 6-8 spaces on a day some people could find no place to park in sight of the park. On days like that, "More rules? Why don't you just sail?" doesn't work, especially with this year's parking cutbacks at some spots.

BTW ... my generator was a 1 KW portable Honda in a sound-baffled compartment inside my van, and it was near noon on a major holiday weekend on which some people had given up on finding any place to park without getting ticketed. Some RVers just don't care about their impact; one last summer deliberately took up four spaces when he could have taken one long one, and another deliberately barricaded an entire 75-car federal parking lot to be sure only his buddies could park that weekend.

Yeah, we could just get there early and go sailing and let somebody else solve problems, but getting involved solves them sooner and usually better.

\m/
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Which Parks? Reply with quote

Isobars,
Which parks have been "fixed" to delete parking spaces?
dinoman8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze if you can rember Crissy field way back when it was frigging blowing sand and dirt, the park service did a great remodel. So a big bus takes up af few yards and your calling the cops?
Relax ....
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next it will be 18' then 16' then 14' then 12' then 10' and pretty soon we will be riding bicycles like the chinese and they will be driving our rv's. Sheesh Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Parks? Reply with quote

exhibitpro wrote:
Isobars,
Which parks have been "fixed" to delete parking spaces?

Doug's Beach took a hit with the RR siding, and Roosevelt's parking has been reduced significantly by boulders lining the main lot and closure of the ferry landing. If they continue last summer's new policy, it's also lost dozens of overflow spots along the road and will lose another dozen if they prohibit double parking along the center segment as they've indicated they may do.
even if they don't expressly prohibit the double parking, the boulders will squeeze longer vehicles towards the center and limit double parking anyway. We're working with the Corps to recover some of the impact, but it looks like at least 40% of the lower level parking we use on overflow days has been lost by policy changes and physical barriers. .

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: