myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Field Parking - Us
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

RV's? What other enforcement do you guys in SF want?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i saw a jack russell do diarrhea in the grass the other day... was wondering how the owner was going to "pick it up" LOL .... of course he didn't Sad
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard

When my tax bill comes I forwarding a part to you to cover the grass and tarmac repairs at Crissy
The road and parking area was not built to withstand a 25,000 lb. recreational vehicle. They are not allowed on Marina Blvd. for the same reason.

They have this weird thing on bridges called weight limit, when it says 10 tonnes it's a rule because it's designed for that max weight.

There are also environmental concerns that there are no sewage facilities for RV's, but hell if they open their tanks how could you tell with all the dog poop.

It is not about making rules, just happens to be in place already, look at the sign when you drive into the parking lot.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may be wrong but the species of grass planted at crissy was specifically chosen because it withstands salt air and heavy traffic. what is probabaly more damaging than parking on it is leaving a monofilm sail riigged for extended periods. it creates a greenhouse effect overheating anything below it. marin bay parkway near the steps usually has a few suspiciously triangular yellow areas burned into it.

i haven't noticed much dog poop at crissy especially considering the number of dogs. you want to see dog pop? launch at half moon bay. and that's mostly from locals. a close second to pt. isabell which is technically a dog park anyway.
h2oshots

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo from late 80's for posterity...

CrissyOld2CRweb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  988.98 KB
 Viewed:  10589 Time(s)

CrissyOld2CRweb.jpg

mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane is right, she was there and should know. The planning process for Crissy was intended to preserve access for windsurfers and add other users. It was also intended to remain an overflow parking lot for other activities along the waterfront. SFBA fought to maintain the number of parking spaces, and so the grass area was intended to do double duty. During two Nationals, there has been enough parking for windsurfers and spectators. Even on a hot Saturday, with more people on the beach than I've ever seen before, a crew of formula guys were all able to find spots. There are definitely more important things to worry about. Like what will Cheney do next.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mac,

Believe me, I understand your concern about Cheney, as I'm truly hoping the country can bridge the remaining time without any unneeded catastrophe until we have more suitable representation. I think that many would agree that we've seen too much nonsense already.

Nonetheless, we have to remember that irresponsible users of the beach that don't honestly consider or appreciate the quality and importance of the resource aren't really desirable and helping society. I think that one would agree that acceptance of thoughtless and irresponsible users can't be tolerated, and shouldn't be easily accepted as a norm. The world often doesn't meet high expectations, but that can't be seen as a call to lower standards. Let's not let the bottom performers lower our expectations.
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though indiscretely parking a giant rv there clearly qualifies whoever does it as a major douche bag, Crissy works! That sort of behavior is very rare. Can anyone who knows the place think of a better and more scenic windsurfing spot smack dab in a major world city? In 20 yrs of sailing Crissy, first as a travelor and the last 11 as a Bay Area resident, the place has never failed to blow my mind with its world class conditions, availablity to all, natural beauty and people watching. Multiple user groups co-exist quite well there. I have never had a problem parking or rigging at Crissy, whether it was a cold ass day in March or a hectic July 4th weekend with fireworks on everyone's mind. The recreated lagoon, lovingly introduced native plants, hardy grass parking overflow areas that we windsurfers need and use, as well as other improvements-done largely as a result of private donations (the largest being from the Hass-Levi Strauss folks) and thousands of hours of volunteer efforts-is rightfully a matter of great civic pride in SF. To anyone reading this not from the area, please come and visit and see for yourself. Let me know you are coming and I'll throw some extra cold ones in the cooler. It is a national park and belongs to all Americans. I know you will love it!
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: WE SHOULD BE SOOOO LUCKY! Reply with quote

Biotch, biotch, biotch!!!! At least you guys have consistent wind and a flat spot, grass or pavement, on which to rig! We have a choice of rigging on PCH or in the sand... very good for equipment, this sand, you know. Well, we should look on the bright side, at least Crissy and Leo don't have those wonderful spiked-thorn trees that adorn Sprecks and Kanaha on Maui. PS a pleasure meeting you yesterday SWC! Aloha, Bull
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward,

Bottom line is there are an increasing number of people using Crissy Field since the renovation and if we all show a little respect and patience towards others then everyone can enjoy the place. Let the respect start from us and you would be amazed at how it will karmically come back our way. With the dog owners, this attitude gets really tested.

My problems with the dogs has less to do with the poop (honestly-people are pretty good about picking it up) but rather with the inconsiderate and disrespectful behaviour shown by dog owners running their dogs off leash pretty much everywhere from the parking lot all the way up to GG Bridge without regard for anyone else.

There are people who may be afraid of dogs off, don't want to deal with dogs, might be allergic, etc. The current state of affairs means they are not welcome there. Any attempt to say anything to a dog owner is almost universally met with contempt and derision no matter how nice you say it and this includes fellow windsurfers who I consider friends.

I would agree that there needs to be places for people to run their dogs off leash down there but it shouldn't be everywhere and that parking lot is absolutely the worst spot to allow it. No matter how much respect and patience I show with this particular group of people, it is never returned.

Sorry for the rant but I couldn't help it,
Rigatoni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: