myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Field Theft Alert
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryandlange

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Crissy Field Theft Alert Reply with quote

Just a heads up. Yesterday afternoon went sailing at Crissy, parked on the North side of the grassy section with the picnic tables. Left my key in the gas cap (my standard approach). When I returned, the key had been taken from the gas cap and I was locked out of my car. After the hassle of having to deal with getting my spare key from home, arrived back at the car to find my wallet had been nicked from my jeans on the front seat of the car. Somebody charged up about $5000 on my credit cards.

Be careful and be on the alert.
polarbear

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are definitely checking windsurfers and kiters as they are hitting the water. A windsurfer got his car stolen behind Cal Sailing Club in broad daylight while he was on the water.

Simple solution: never leave your keys with the car. Someone might be watching where you are putting them away. Buy yourself an aquapac and keep the key with you while you're on the water. I keep the remote and key with me at all time.
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Key ideas... Reply with quote

I live in Maine which has the lowest crime rate in the country yet
kiters and windsurfers get their cars broken into also! A few things I've done.

Even if you have a electronic key that can't get wet you can go to your dealership and get a key slug made that just opens the doors. I leave my ignition key in the car and take the key on the water that opens the locks and wear it around my neck. You can get that key wet all day long since it has no electronics on it. The robbers don't want your car they typically want your wallet/credit cards. You can also lock your wallet in the glove box so if they do get into the car, they are going to have to start busting out your glove box and creating a scene.

If a robber sees you locking your car with a key around your neck, there is no way they are going to try to get in your car.

Also, on all credit cards, put in large letters on the back, ASK FOR ID!!!

Sorry to hear though that sucks. Hopefully they can get the person on video at the stores where they bought crap.

Good luck,,
Greg
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extra key threaded on some downhaul line that's tied together, and I simply wear it around my neck and tuck it inside my wetsuit. However, I have just a standard key and not one of those electronic ones often sold with vehicles these days. If you've got the latter type, you need to go with the waterproof container or the lockbox concept suggested above.

While I'm sure that ryandlange will never again stash his key in gas cap area, it's quite common that many folks stash their keys under the bumper or somewhere on the vehicle. I see it done all to often. For any of you that still follow this type of plan, it's a terrible idea that you should abandon without delay.

Another thing, always separate your car key from other keys. With your wallet and identification a thief knows where you live and can subsequently rob your home while you're away from home. To protect yourself, one should always separate your car key at any time your vehicle is left with another (getting your vehicle repaired, at a carwash, valet parking, etc.).
dgrissom

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up!! Break-ins have been happening frequently at OB but I thought Crissy was safe. Guess not.

I agee with the others to take the key with you or have a simple key made that just opens your doors and take that one. The other thing I do is even avoid taking my wallet when surfing/sailing whenever possible. Seriously!! It sucks, but having a wallet stolen sucks even more.

Maybe there is a way to get the parks to put security cameras up at places where break-ins are occuring. I guess I can dream.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your harness should also have a storage area on the back that you can stash a key in. It seals up tightly with velcro.

Coachg
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Crissy Security Cam:

http://cams.exploratorium.edu:8010/1/control.html

Ryan, that seriously sucks that your car got broken into at Crissy. I've always considered Crissy and the Cal Sailing Club at Berkeley to be "safe" spots, and now you have had your car broken into, and someone else's car was stolen at Berkeley.

This is just a reminder to us all to take precautions and not presume that our valuables are safe. Incredible to think that these kinds of crimes could happen at busy locations like Crissy or Berkeley with so many friends hanging out.

I will have to be more careful myself in the future Sad

FYI, the car that was stolen from Berkeley was probably a mid-80's Corolla or something similar... pretty much a jalopy wind mobile... and it still got stolen!! WTF???

dgrissom wrote:

Maybe there is a way to get the parks to put security cameras up at places where break-ins are occuring. I guess I can dream.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dgrissom

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Thanks alot for the roof cam link !!
markshark

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: crissy field theft alert Reply with quote

wearing a key is not an option for most modern vehicle owners. the maiin reason i have bot a ford product the last 4 vehicles is that they have an combination key pad on the drivers door. assuming you dont get amnesia on one of your wipouts, you can leave your key inside with no worries.
check your credit report and take evasive action on all accounts asap as most thieves want your identity not your car or wallet. go to www.prepaidlegal.com for ways to prevent a theft from turning into a nightmare. good luck
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I came up with "leave the back window opened", cracked just enough to reach in and unlock. Hide your wallet and keys, while fumbling inside the car in some very obscure spot.

if your real worried, leave the wallet at home and just keep a spare $20 in the car and put in a kill switch so even with the keys the car cannot be stolen. People i know that live downtown just leave there car unlocked. might have to clear out a bum sometimes but better than a brocken window all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: