myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Field Theft Alert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always a little surprised at folks who sail in the Gorge with their van doors open, but OTOH most of us at any given site know most or many of the people there, and any thief caught in the act would pay a significant price. I at least disable my engine and hide my wallet and ignition keys (I've worn a Hood River necklace -- my door key -- for decades), and may arm my alarm depending on where I'm parked.

The last criminal we saw, a man beating his wife, was immediately surrounded by 8-10 guys who held him there until the police arrived (we were in town so that took just 1 or 2 minutes and she was under our protection the whole time). But I've slept in my vehicles for decades with the doors and windows open for the breeze. My only visitors have been two cops, a curious deer, a big rat, and a house cat.

I like the unintended idea here of carrying as little ID as possible, to help avert ID theft. It would be easy to hide a credit card and driver's license on short trips, maybe even leave a fake wallet in my obvious pants while sailing.

\m/
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polarbear wrote:
Simple solution: never leave your keys with the car. Someone might be watching where you are putting them away. Buy yourself an aquapac and keep the key with you while you're on the water. I keep the remote and key with me at all time.

I definitely second polarbear's opinion. I have seen too many people "hide their keys" before going out. It's just too damn easy to watch someone do this and get the keys later if I were a thief!

For all of you with the "modern" car keys, get the AquaPac. I got one this year and it really does work! Go to this website and search for "Keymaster": http://www.aquapac.net. They have got lots of other types of cases also depending on your needs.

If you're still worried about getting your key with the RF chip wet, keep that key in the car but take the keyless entry remote with you on the water if it's possible to separate the two. You can also make a regular copy of your chipped key that will at least allow you to open the door.

coachg wrote:
Your harness should also have a storage area on the back that you can stash a key in. It seals up tightly with velcro.

Never, and I can't stress enough, NEVER EVER DEPEND ON THAT VELCRO POCKET on your harness to store your keys! I lost rental car keys from a harness velcro pocket once while out sailing. Man what nightmare I had to deal with to get that key replaced, waiting in my wetsuit for hours while all my possessions were locked in the rental car. Those pockets can open in a crash and unless you clip your key securely to a loop or something inside the pocket, just don't do it!
coachg

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alakghosh,
That must have been some kind of crash because the pocket in my seat harness is a bear to open. Sorry to hear about that happining to you. My PFD has a zippered pouch for keys and I also use the Aquapac for my GPS with room for my keyless remote. I've never used the pouch because it is too hard to get to. I thought it might work well in an emergency but maybe not. Or just don't have an epic crash. Laughing

Coachg
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfer's solution

http://www.wetsand.com/product.asp?locationid=4&ProdId=3064&CatId=928
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bummer. Strange most of us know each others vehicles, they must have been pretty shifty.

They also sell the Crissy face key holder that I've seen a lot of people wearing, Rigatoni??

images.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.17 KB
 Viewed:  15979 Time(s)

images.jpg

pravda

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most wetsuits have a pocket for your key. I use it when surfing in urban areas.
markpaine

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
What a bummer. Strange most of us know each others vehicles, they must have been pretty shifty.

Ryan, sorry to hear it. I guess I feel lucky now... Yesterday was an unusual day at Crissy. There were probably only about 5 of us on the water and we were all out there at the same time, so there weren't any of us around on land to recognize one another's vehicles. Racking my brain trying to remember anybody nearby. Just some guy trying to hit on me by the showers asking how I stay warm (sheesh) and a kiter asking me to help him launch ("nah, I don't do that"). Sad
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark,

you need to stop wearing extra tight wetsuits! Very Happy
markpaine

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
you need to stop wearing extra tight wetsuits! Very Happy

yeah enrique, like i said, it was a strange day at crissy yesterday.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been Rigatoni at the showers, I'll call his probation officer in the morning. He's meant to stay 100 yards away....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: