myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Francisco Bay - wind season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:

Whites go where their favorite food is (seals). If you see alot of seals, then you-know-who is probably there too. It's rare to see a seal anywhere south of the bay bridge or east of Treasure Is.

Ever wonder why the new San Mateo City park between Coyote and 3rd is called Seal Point?

Rolling Eyes

victor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a big haulout and seal puppng area in the marsh at larkspur.

has there been a great white sighting at pier 39? it's certainly not for lack of a food supply.
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
carl wrote:

Whites go where their favorite food is (seals). If you see alot of seals, then you-know-who is probably there too. It's rare to see a seal anywhere south of the bay bridge or east of Treasure Is.

Ever wonder why the new San Mateo City park between Coyote and 3rd is called Seal Point?

Rolling Eyes

Mo
Probably for the same reason "Coyote" Pt is called as such. It was most likely an appropriate name, sometime in the past. Shocked
bmoney

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just a matter of time before the Crissy dwelling whiteys snack on an expensive lapdog swimming after a tennis ball. then we will have some excitement inside the gate... Smile
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:

Mo
Probably for the same reason "Coyote" Pt is called as such. It was most likely an appropriate name, sometime in the past. Shocked

A little history from the Parks Dept..."The origin of the name Coyote Point is somewhat clouded. Since it was originally an island completely surrounded by salt marsh, it is doubtful that it was inhabited by coyotes. It is probable that the name could be attributed to Coyetana Arenas, to whom it was granted by the Governor of Mexico. It is improbable that Indians lived on Coyote Point, although small shell mounds do exist indicating that they at least used it for feasts and perhaps special ceremonies. Without fresh water, however, they could not have survived for long on the island proper."

Seal Point was named as such because it was part of an active seal rookery through the 1980's. Even now seals are often seen inside the windsurf area at Coyote Pt. Don't let your toes dangle in the water too long!

Wink

madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
attributed to Coyetana Arenas, to whom it was granted by the Governor of Mexico.

Originally, that would have been Cayetana, in Spanish there is no such name as Coyatana.
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
carl wrote:

Mo

A little history from the Parks Dept..."The origin of the name Coyote Point is somewhat clouded. Since it was originally an island completely surrounded by salt marsh, it is doubtful that it was inhabited by coyotes. It is probable that the name could be attributed to Coyetana Arenas, to whom it was granted by the Governor of Mexico. It is improbable that Indians lived on Coyote Point, although small shell mounds do exist indicating that they at least used it for feasts and perhaps special ceremonies. Without fresh water, however, they could not have survived for long on the island proper."

Seal Point was named as such because it was part of an active seal rookery through the 1980's. Even now seals are often seen inside the windsurf area at Coyote Pt. Don't let your toes dangle in the water too long!

Wink

Mo,
I've never seen a seal at Coyote, 3rd, Palo Alto, Oyster Pt, Embassy or Tigers, that is proof (to me anyway) that they are not common in the south bay within the last 12 years or so. I did see one only once at the Stick.

Now way back in the 1980's seals were probably hanging out on every street corner Wink ,
but my point is that human civilization has chased away or eradicated many of the wildlife habitats around cities, seals and whitey included.
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Mo,
I've never seen a seal at Coyote, 3rd, Palo Alto, Oyster Pt, Embassy or Tigers, that is proof (to me anyway) that they are not common in the south bay within the last 12 years or so. I did see one only once at the Stick.

Carl,
Seals are frequent visitors to Coyote. I see them all the time. And don't get me started on my shark story. Shocked

carl wrote:
Now way back in the 1980's seals were probably hanging out on every street corner Wink

I think those were the Village People Wink

sergem

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
Seal Point was named as such because it was part of an active seal rookery through the 1980's. ...

Things you learn! And I thought the name was there because it is a sealed landfill dump Smile
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="madspaniard"]I always wondered what was up with those headless seal carcasses at Waddell and Davenport until I asked a biologist that works for my company. He said there is a guy who lives nearby and happens to be a head colllector and is also doing some sort of research on seal mortality so he cuts the heads off and takes them with him for further examination. I don't know which one to believe, sharks or crazy researcher?
[quote]

OK , I found the skull collectionist

http://research.calacademy.org/calwild/2002spring/stories/skulls.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: