myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
safety no matter how hard you shred
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeclardy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: safety no matter how hard you shred Reply with quote

I "rescued" a kite with its lines and bar still attached at Waddell today. The equipment was blowing through the water. The only reason I grabbed it was to avoid the limited possibility that some bystander down wind would have gotten hurt. I was amazed to find that there was no safety leash.
I watched the owner later and he was really good. However, skill is no reason to avoid taking the minimal precautions.
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "helped" a kiter at Emery Point the other week. I was rigging my sail and looked up to see a cloud of dust on the beach and a kite in the middle of frontage road. I ran over to secure the kite and help get it off the road. The lines were still tensioned and the kiter was on his feet. I grabbed the kite and pulled it off the road when I noticed the lines were getting tangled around my legs. The kite deflated (popped?) and I dragged it the rest of the way off the road. I bundled it up and handed it to the kiter who let it go to flop in the wind. I was afraid it was going to fill with air and take off again but the kiter said it was not because it was deflated.

I went back to rigging my sail. The kiter never thanked me and I kind of had the feeling that he thought he did not need my help. Maybe he did not. He left. I talked to another Kiter who said he was experienced.

It seems to me that there is a point after a kiter gets airborne that he has no control. I am dreading the day when a kiter gets a boost, the wind gusts, and the kiter flys right over the frontage road and into interstate 80 traffic.

Kiting looks dangerous to me.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you for Mike, good common sense and considerate, nice to hear.

I think the problem with kiting versus windsurfing, especially the waves, is that a novice can pretty easily go out and get in bad trouble quickly.

Generally if you windsurf and are learning going into the waves would be a one way trip back to the beach san equipment and a nice bill.

A lot of kitemares!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's a scary situation. there have been several close calls at point emery, and it's just a matter of time before a kite ends up on I-80/580.

not reading into either of the above posted situations, but SOMETIMES it's really dangerous for non-kiters to help out a kiter, whether in distress or not. i know enough to safely land a kite, but i always feel uncomfortable when asked and sometimes ignore landing requests b/c i don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt b/c they assumed i knew what i was doing. and i really feel uncomfortable when people ask me to launch their kites.

a local kiter was telling me how he luckily managed to navigate his way though an on land kitemare, only to have the situation worsened when somebody tackled him thinking he was still in peril, which tensioned the lines and powered up the kite. after being dragged, he was then tackled again, got a knee to his back and ended up w/ a dislocated shoulder.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
charlie12

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiters dont leash in when kiting in waves
leashing in on a wave will get you rolled up
so thay let them go
if you see one blowing buy just you" let it go buy"

kevinkan said
"wow, that's a scary situation. there have been several close calls at point emery, and it's just a matter of time before a kite ends up on I-80/580. "
i hope not

if you guys see a kiter haveing a hard time at pt emery
tell them that the race track in albany has more space
and is better for kiting then pt emery..

and if you dont "feel comfortable handling a kite" dont.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I got in my initial kiting ground school lesson was, "Do not try to help a kiter manage his lines or kite. It's just too dangerous." I fetch separated boards out on the water -- they're worth $200 at a swap meet Wink -- but I'm not getting near any kites.

\m/
wmike

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso,

I also retrieve lost boards, but make every attempt to return them, most have a phone number on them. If not I take them to the shop in Hood River that sell them for the owner to pick them up. I have my phone number on all my equipment and would hope that you would at least phone me if you found some of my equipment. And yes I would give you a reward. And old geezer from Salt Lake retrieved a kiter's board last summer and proudly announced that he was taking it home for a mantel piece. And the kiter had posted a reward on Windance's lost and found.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
i know enough to safely land a kite, but i always feel uncomfortable when asked and sometimes ignore landing requests b/c i don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt b/c they assumed i knew what i was doing. and i really feel uncomfortable when people ask me to launch their kites.

Helping to launch or land a kite isn't something to fear and is actually very simple once someone shows you how to do it. I think as water sports enthusiasts being forced to play side by side with each other, we owe each other the basic duty to watch out and to cooperate with each other...kiter or windsurfer...so if there is NOBODY around to help a kiter, don't just turn away and ignore his obvious need for help.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:

Helping to launch or land a kite isn't something to fear and is actually very simple once someone shows you how to do it. I think as water sports enthusiasts being forced to play side by side with each other, we owe each other the basic duty to watch out and to cooperate with each other...kiter or windsurfer...so if there is NOBODY around to help a kiter, don't just turn away and ignore his obvious need for help.

I have a little bit of kite experience, and I will land a kite for somebody if they ask, but I would rather have a fellow kiter who does it all the time help the guy out if he is around. Landing isn't too big of a deal, but if I only do it once or twice a year, I think it's a better idea to have somebody else do it. I don't really like launching kites for people, though... even friends. I just would rather have somebody with experience launch, so nothing goes wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesalmonmike wrote:
Iso, I also retrieve lost boards, but make every attempt to return them, most have a phone number on them.

I'm referring to taking a separated board back to the immersed kiter out on the water. If he's experienced and making good progress toward his nearby board in uncrowded conditions, I don't bother, but otherwise I'll jump in and get it to him. I've never found an abandoned kite board.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: