myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
safety no matter how hard you shred
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie12

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should be good...

i feel kiters should be able to self luanch and land ..
before thay hit pt emery
also selfrescue
and safty the kite.

and i also feel windsurfers should follow the water right aways
i.e. stop porting kiters.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, I'm not going to launch kiter's rigs, even old friends. Frankly, I'm not into kiting, and I don't want to involve myself as a facilitator of any kind in their game. I fully understand what Kevinkan is saying here.

Does that mean that I wouldn't try to be helpful in need? If things are relatively simple, I will assist in limited situations, but I'm not stupid enough to leverage out foolishly if things are over my head. My helpful spirit has to be reasonable. It's like saving someone that's drowning, as you might be a fatal casuality of the situation, despite the noblest of intentions.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: lease Reply with quote

I've heard that a saftey lease is a dangerous thing because when you fall the lease can sling-shot the board right at the kiter's head. That's why experienced riders do away with leases as soon as they are able.
charlie12

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dperzinski
we were talking about the safty leash that go's to the kite
so you can cut loose from the kite when your getting rolled in the waves

and ya the board leash can be dangerous
DariusWiles

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wndsrfrmn wrote:
I am dreading the day when a kiter gets a boost, the wind gusts, and the kiter flys right over the frontage road and into interstate 80 traffic.

On the subject of kiting and wind gusts, if you have not seen the video of Erik Eck being swept away by a freak thermal, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RuE5t1-H9k
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: lease Reply with quote

dperzinski wrote:
I've heard that a saftey lease is a dangerous thing because when you fall the lease can sling-shot the board right at the kiter's head. That's why experienced riders do away with leases as soon as they are able.

One of our local kiters bought a PWC, then a Zodiac, and keeps it anchored at the launch with the key in it for rescues. When anyone asks for a rescue due to a lost board, the boat-owner's only question is, "Was his board on a leash?". If not, no rescue.

Hey, it IS his boat and his time.

(And can't they use a non-elastic leash?)

\m/
jordanwd

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note on kiter safety; regardless of how good you are, the unthinkable can happen.. case and point- the sad passing of kiter and founder of zero gravity kite boards Pete Norby in the early 2000's....he got dragged ashore in onshore winds- I'lll spare the gorry details but he is sadly missed- I'm not sure but it sounds like he may not have had a safety release for his kite (do they even have safety releases anymore? the kind that will totally depower the kite?)
joewindsurf

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've windsurfed for 14 years and been kiting for 5.

Most kites now-a-days are much safer than the original kites. They (most) have more range than windsurfing sails and have really good safety releases. You shouldn't have to help a kiter land his kite unless its a sketchy launch, and that really has more to do with limiting damage to the kite. I almost never ask a non-kiter for assistance, the exception is a friend of mine that knows how to do it.

Regarding kite leashes, they should always be used! With one exception, monstor surf, in which case there won't be that many people around to get hurt by a wayward kite. Kite leashes have an additional last resort release incase a wave grabs the kite and starts dragging the kiter underwater.

A board leash should NEVER be used '.' A kiter should risk loosing his board over getting brained. If you see a kiter with a board leash, he's a cook!

Also, kiters should be curteous and say thanks when someone helps them out. I always do Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: