myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DaKine Impact Harness Flotation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
builderguy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: DaKine Impact Harness Flotation Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this harness that they can comment on how much flotation it provides if any at all?
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: dakine impact Reply with quote

Very Happy a ton of flotation all you will ever need and if you ever wore a chest harness ain,t too bad in that deparment either. Very Happy
builderguy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not enough to make the Coast Guard happy, but enough to help compensate for my weak swimming when it comes to pressing a sail full of water up into the air for a waterstart without my boney ass sinking to the bottom?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay your boom on the tail and let physics do the lifting. If my booms are too high to do that, they're so high I can't hook in without jumping into the air.

\m/
builderguy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I do the tail float trick all the time. I just prefer to relax once in a while and let the jacket do the work. Don't need full Coast Guard status, but still like a little extra support plus I sink like a rock (too many plates in the head I suspect).
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine stopped sailing for 5+ years and then recently started again and picked up one of these harnesses to help him waterstart in deep water. He's over 200 lbs and it floats him very well which enabled him to waterstart with ease. Plus it gives you the ability to relax in the water when you fall, catch your breath and get yourself together for waterstarting. The harness itself is very well made and not overly large like a PFD.

Rob
ccyne

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, works great. Mine is a medium and it floats my 155lbs as good as any neo waterski vest. Definately a real energy saver when in the water, also protects the ribs when geting slammed. One drawback is they absorb a lot of water and can feel heavy.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first used my new DaKine Impact vest (no harness; just the vest, XXL) yesterday. It does not absorb any water, and adds just enough float for me to do my things -- adjust this, fix that, eat lunch, breathe without trading water -- bobbing in the water. Of the 20+ vests I've tried so far for flotation and rib protection. it's the best I've seen yet. So far I haven't had to tie it down to my harness to stop it from riding up. I'm guessing, based on other vests I've owned that claimed a flotation rating, that it provides something like 6-8 pounds of flotation, vs a PFD that has about 16 pounds.

\m/
gk109

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that harness provide any extra back support compared to a seat or waist harness. I have an older dakine nexus waist harness that rides up and aches my back after awhile. I have a 07 dakine speed seat that is much better on my back but ive been sidelined for 10 days now becuase my back went out so Im wondering if the impact gives any extra support for your back.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gk109 wrote:
does that harness provide any extra back support compared to a seat or waist harness. I have an older dakine nexus waist harness that rides up and aches my back after awhile. I have a 07 dakine speed seat that is much better on my back but ive been sidelined for 10 days now becuase my back went out so Im wondering if the impact gives any extra support for your back.

I doubt it. The Impact vest offers no back support, and the vest/harness unit is just the vest with a waist harness built into the waist of the vest.

Have you tried the DaKine XT Seat? It supports your back clear up to your shoulder blades. It's all I've used for years. I can't use waist harnesses; they set my back on fire in one reach.

Have you done extensive gym work expressly to strengthen your core muscles? My nagging back issues went away after I built up my core.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: