myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote FREE / VALIDATED parking at Boardsports Retail Shop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with gerrit (or epenrose). A benefit of membership in Coyote Point Museum is free access to the park. Other benefits include half price access to SF Zoo and the Bay Aquarium. I have paid for these benefits, so I don't see the need to "look over my shoulder" while taking advantage of them. In any case, I have never had a problem with the rangers in regards to using my Coyote Point Museum pass.
On a seperate topic, I agree we should contribute to the upkeep of our sailing areas and get involved where we can. At a minimum we should all be members of SFBA. Contributing is a good political tool that shows others that we will stick together and can be a force to be reckoned with, as the SFO runway victory shows.
dbrock

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: discount pass at Coyote Reply with quote

I kind of thought that there was a glitch in the system, but I wanted to let you know about it just in case you weren't aware of it. Thanks for the offer of a ten dollar refund, I really appreciate it. After reading some the the comments, I think that I will just pay the $60 fee and feel good about supporting the parks system. Tell you what, next time I'm in the shop just lie to me about how great I look out on the water to feed my ego and we'll call it even. Thanks again.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen.

How nice to have minor disagreements expressed in a positive way on this blog, what a difference.

Point taken on both regarding the fees, makes perfect sense, especially if you a part time user.

alakghosh, good for you making the contribution to the sand bagging effort. If you are an infrequent user Embassy is a really great launch and the guys you find launching are a really nice bunch. Rigging area is about as nice as you get, there is a hose at the fish cleaning station and the fisherman are generally a nice bunch. You probably know all this, but just in case.
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Unless you plan on visiting the museum every time you use the park, you are getting over and you know it. How much did you save? I hope it is worth looking over your shoulder every time you come to the park to windsurf. If I were a ranger, I would pull your museum pass and tell you to pay what you owe. How do you explain your left turn immediately past the Ranger shack when the museum is straight ahead? And people complain the Govenator is considering closing parks to balance the budget.

Gerritt and Ed
Actually the museum membership supports the museum (which is in need financially btw). The museum in turn pays the park RENT, which supports the park much more. It's actually a win/win because the park gets more money because more patrons are attracted to the museum (it's actually a nice museum). I've been a supporting museum member for years and never had any trouble getting in the park, as Kirk suggested (and always make a left turn too). BTW, the park is a SM county park, not a state park, the govenator has nothing to do with this.

The Boardsports shop at Coyote also pays rent to the park, which also greatly supports the park, so instead of buying your stuff on the internet, buy from them.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. My apologies to alakghosh. If the Rangers said go for it, then who am I to argue.

What I don't understand now is why there is a park pass at all. In the late 80's, there was a long fight with Board of Supervisors over this when they wanted to cancel the pass of make everyone pay the daily rate. Windsurfers showed up in number and made the case for the pass. I remeber one supervisor trying to compare park fees to lift ticket for skiiing, saying we weren't paying enough at the daily rate, much less $60.00/yr. Its been that price ever since.

Now, how much is a museum pass?
windriderz

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote FREE / VALIDATED parking at Boardsports Retail Sh Reply with quote

Another way to support Coyote is to support Measure O - if you live in San Mateo County. Go to parksforthefuture.net for more info.
windbetty

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
I stand corrected. My apologies to alakghosh. If the Rangers said go for it, then who am I to argue.

What I don't understand now is why there is a park pass at all. In the late 80's, there was a long fight with Board of Supervisors over this when they wanted to cancel the pass of make everyone pay the daily rate. Windsurfers showed up in number and made the case for the pass. I remeber one supervisor trying to compare park fees to lift ticket for skiiing, saying we weren't paying enough at the daily rate, much less $60.00/yr. Its been that price ever since.

Now, how much is a museum pass?

looks like the museum pass is only $45. I say support the park or the museum. They both need your money. I haven't even checked the museum out yet, is it any good? Perhaps we should throw a windsurfing cocktail party there as a fundraiser for the museum?

The discounted $50 windsurfer park pass is going to only be valid for the windsurfing season (April - Sept) so the $60 annual pass is a better deal if you want to get into the park all year.

Either way, the pass is a nice way to support the park or the museum, and as all of us can see by the rusting fence and degrading promenade, the park does need the funds. They need to raise $3.5 million for the promenade rebuild project. I hope the Google founders (who both apparently kiteboard) can pitch in and they can rename the place Google Park!

We do want to encourage people to come to the shop and not have to pay the parking fee, so the park has officially agreed to 45 minute validated free parking to come into the shop. If you stay longer and buy stuff, I'll be happy to pay your $5 parking fee if you don't have an annual pass or museum membership.

Jane
Boardsports School & Shop
http://www.boardsportsschool.com
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: CP Museum membership rocks! Reply with quote

If you have kids, CP Museum Membership gets you discounted (and free) admission to lots of great places. Ours paid for itself within a few monthslast year. And I have never had an issue using it for windsurfing access the few times I have sailed Coyote (only when it is dead low at 3rd)
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyote Point Museum is $45 individual and $65 family.
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherrywood182 wrote:
Coyote Point Museum is $45 individual and $65 family.

I renewed my individual museum membership for only $35 this year.

Thanks to everyone also for adding in all the additional benefits, either way. My choice was also based on the additional benefits of the museum membership (reciprocal agreements with other museums).

Even the yearly National Parks pass is cheaper than the yearly membership to only the San Mateo parks. I didn't agree with this pricing at the time but I agree we do have to take into account the recreational use of the park. Look at Lake Lopez for an example of heavy use fees. They charge per windsurf board on top of the $9 daily fee or something like that!

I know I am in danger of resparking this debate. I'm sorry Smile

Anyway this has been a good discussion and I hope everyone makes their contribution in their chosen way and gets to enjoy this great facility!

Alak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: