myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do I need anything bigger then .5.5 at Sherman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Do I need anything bigger then .5.5 at Sherman? Reply with quote

I never used to see anyhthing bigger then a 6.0 out here. I weigh less then 160, anybody recommend a size for the light days.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 175 and my largest is a 5.7 for Sherman, but it has a lot of bottom end. I tend to sail it when others are on 6.5's.

Light winds at sherman usually mean around 16 or 17 mph. Lighter than that usually means going somewhere else Smile SKeep in mind the tides. A 1 - 2 knot current can add or subtract that from the wind speed. So if a 5.5 is enough for you on those winds, you are set.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on when you are there and how much you want to sail. If you just do dawn patrols or evenings then you would be fine with a 5.5. If you have limited time and can only get there in the afternoon then a 6.5 wouldn’t hurt. A bigger fin can help.

Sail size isn’t always the issue though. My 6.5 is a freeride that rigs on a standard 100% carbon mast. My next size down is a 5.7 wave sail that rigs on an RDM mast. The 5.7 rig is much heavier because of the full grid & RDM weight so I often use my 6.5 when I could just as easily use my 5.7.

Coachg
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree strongly with JOHNL. You will want to pay close attention to the tides. You'll see a lot of people arrive right as the tide changes. A lot of folks don't want to deal with the flood which is a pain INDA#$@. Then, and on a fair # of light days, one needs "big stuff" whatever that means for your weight/efficiency etc.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no wrong answers; every kid gets a trophy. Most of the middleweights I know top out with a 5.8 wave sail. I prefer a 6.0 freeride/slalom sail because I find it easier to handle in marginal wind--less weight up top. The most interesting trend I've seen lately is people getting bigger boards for light wind. Even former 85 liter-max-at-Sherman guys are buying 100-liter-plus freeride or even freestyle boards. They plane earlier and get you thru the holes making light winds fun, and if the wind does come up it's easier to switch boards than sails. Still, I could have used a 6.5 the other day...
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5.5 ought to be about right for the max you will need at your wieght at SI. I am 200lbs and use a 6.2, 100L combo for light wind ebb days and 7.0, 120L for light wind flood days. By "light wind", I mean mid teen averages. I find that I am usually on about a one meter bigger sail than guys your weight. I am usually on the light wind stuff only if it is a warm, weekend, beer drinking, socializing Delta summer day and it isn't blowing much better anywhere else.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, bring a 6.0. You never know. Leave the formula board at home.
Some areas get pretty shallow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: